FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I'm 21 (ITT: Guns)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2009 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by ParielIsBack ParielIsBack wrote:

Suppressors also make the weapon longer, you probably won't want one on your CCW, and they don't work on shotguns.

Why don't they work on shotguns?

Even if they don't thats another plus to having a defensive AR.

Yes you can't easily get one for a CCW, and yes they do lengthen the weapon, but you can register the weapon as a Short Barreled Rifle and put one on.you'll then have a normal length rifle. It'll still be easier to use that a shotgun.

While I would avoid using a full auto for self defence, forking out the extra tax stamps for the suppressor and the SBR shouldn't put you off that much. How much is your life worth to you?

I have never been in a life or death self defence situation before, but i have fired unsuppressed weapons indoors before. Trust me you'll want a suppressor. Maybe auditory exclusion works, I've been in a couple of high stress situations, some that have involved gunfire, and I've never experienced it. True I was never the shooter on those occasions either, thats just my experience with it.

Merc, it was a sweet little rifle, that I only got to shoot a handful of rounds out of, then the firing pin shattered. Literally it broke like glass. Took us about 2 months to get a new one. I got to shoot it a couple of times in social settings after that, and never thought about a forwards assist. IIRC I've only shot a rifle with one a couple of times. Most of the ones I shoot are AK variants of some sort. I have been taught a Tap Rack Bang that involves the forward assist, but I don't recall ever using it. Don't think I've shot one enough
ParielIsBack View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
future target of fratricide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2009 at 11:27pm
Originally posted by Kayback Kayback wrote:

Why don't they work on shotguns?

I'm not sure it's impossible to create one, but I don't know of anyone who makes one.  Mainly because the gun itself has to be modified to fit a suppressor (although I believe that isn't the case with semi-automatic shotguns).

Quote Even if they don't thats another plus to having a defensive AR.

Yes you can't easily get one for a CCW, and yes they do lengthen the weapon, but you can register the weapon as a Short Barreled Rifle and put one on.you'll then have a normal length rifle. It'll still be easier to use that a shotgun.

While I would avoid using a full auto for self defence, forking out the extra tax stamps for the suppressor and the SBR shouldn't put you off that much. How much is your life worth to you?

I think personally I would prefer a shotgun as a home defense weapon, but I can understand why people want SBRs.  As far as CCW goes, using a CCW with a suppressor on it doesn't seem like a sensible alternative.  Even if it's a quick-detach model, you're going to be spending valuable time attaching the suppressor, and if it's simply on the weapon, it's no longer something you can holster, or get out of a holster rapidly.

As far as full auto weapon go, I wouldn't use one for self defense mainly because people in the US freak out when they hear about automatic weapons.  It  can be immediate point for the other side if you should come to trial for any reason.
BU Engineering 2012
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2009 at 1:38am
Pariel, yes, that's exactly why I wouldn't use a full auto. And they are also actually quite hard to use. It also means you are dumping a couple extra THOUSAND dollars into a weapon that the cops will probably confiscate if you ever do shoot someone with it. The thing is full auto weapons in the US are Class 3 items, the same as supressors. To own one you need a $200 (last time I checked) tax stamp. Same as the supressor. I was making a point that you eventually hit diminishing returns. Spending that much money on a full auto is silly for self defence, but I can see the extra you spend on the tax stamp and the supressor itself as a worthwhile investment. It'll only be a couple hundred bucks more.

I still don't see where I said you should use a suppressor on a CCW. I never meant to imply this, and I don't think it is a good idea. CCW's do sacrifice power and ability for size and ease of concealment. I agree 100% that it is a bad idea to use one on a CCW.

However in a house gun, size isn't REALLY an issue. True using a M1 Garand isn't going to be as easy as using an M1 Carbine, but still. A reasonably shot rifle, with a supressor will still be short and easy to manouver, especially when compared to most shotguns. You don't need to conceal a house gun, so the extra length isn't that much of a problem, and because you are using it at really short ranges, you can cut the barrel way down, but still have your rounds going fast when they hit their targets. There is a 99.99999999% chance that if you shoot your home defence gun in self defence you will be inside a building. It WILL be loud.

I don't see your point about the weapon being modified to take a supressor. There are many weapons out there that need that. While some AR's and some supressors have the ability to mount without any modification, threading a barrel for a supressor isn't that much of an issue.

This top black shotgun is a modified Mossberg.

The big thing on the end is a compensator. (it has been rotated 90 degrees to not work as a comp, because they are not allowed in this match.) It is screwed on the the threaded barrel. You can easily replace it with a supressor. The only problem with that is the extended mag is in the way of a supressor.

Here are some examples.
Pump action shotguns:

Double barrel O/Under (!!!!)

Pump/Semi auto SPAS-15

And the internal workings of a shotgun supressor.

But they don't do much for the overall length of a weapon. Lookit that compared to a .223 supressor.

FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2009 at 8:12am
Well, pops ended up getting the new sig p238. Pretty sweet little gun.

Now we have the kel tec, lcp, and sig... We sold the kahr as it jammed too often. Replaced it with a glock 27.

Anyone ever use the new tcp by taurus? I saw a bunch of them, and a titanium one would be very light... But the fit and finish seemed "taurus" like... not too smooth.
They tremble at my name...
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2009 at 4:48pm
You people are idiots. Silencers work awesome on shotguns, whenever you use them you never show up on radar and pwn on team deathmatch.

As for home defense, best bet is to use an M9 with a nice knife. That way, you can manuver quickly and stab the intruder rather than accidently shoot your family/dog/neighbor/TV etc.

Or a riot shiled would work as well, so the shield absorbs that 5.56 and not you. Better safe then sorry.

On a serious note, I'd love to own a CCW, but never will. I live in PRNJ
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2009 at 5:59pm
So I just registered for a CHL class...
Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

slackerr26 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Strike 2 - language, 8/20

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slackerr26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2009 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by SSOK SSOK wrote:

You people are idiots. Silencers work awesome on shotguns, whenever you use them you never show up on radar and pwn on team deathmatch.

As for home defense, best bet is to use an M9 with a nice knife. That way, you can manuver quickly and stab the intruder rather than accidently shoot your family/dog/neighbor/TV etc.

Or a riot shiled would work as well, so the shield absorbs that 5.56 and not you. Better safe then sorry.

newb. stops the 50 cals as well. want good home defense? use either the Model 1897, Ranger, or G18, of course it has to be akimbo also
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2009 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by slackerr26 slackerr26 wrote:

newb. stops the 50 cals as well. want good home defense? use either the Model 1897, Ranger, or G18, of course it has to be akimbo also

Just throw the knife over the roof.  It'll kill any intruder.
BU Engineering 2012
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2009 at 2:04am
Originally posted by slackerr26 slackerr26 wrote:

As for home defense, best bet is to use an M9 with a nice knife.
use either the Model 1897

Word up.

That 97 is the bomb. I wish the other shotguns in the game acted like that. I'd love to run around with the M1014 with that sort of range. Can't wait to get my hands on the 97.

Currently stabbing people left right and center. Honestly it is stupid. Was 32/5 the other day, and I think I shot 1 person....(true my Harrier and AC-130 helped, but still). Hmmmmm AC-130 for home defence. Grin?

KBK
__sneaky__ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Voted 2010 Most Improved Forumer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2009 at 2:57am
Meh, the SPAS w/ foregrip is pretty beast. I don't have the 1897 yet tho. Cry
"I AM a crossdresser." -Reb Cpl

Forum Vice President
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slackerr26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2009 at 6:47am
akimbo rangers= best house clearing weapon
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2009 at 8:53am
Originally posted by Kayback Kayback wrote:

Hmmmmm AC-130 for home defence. Grin?
KBK

LOL.  Best suggestion I've heard so far.
BU Engineering 2012
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2009 at 10:09am
Meh, just got it. The 87 doesn't shoot fast enough. You almost HAVE to use it akimbo.

Ah well.

KBK
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2009 at 4:09pm
Not into shotguns myself.

I normally run with a SCAR fmj/m203. Although my favorite class is my riot shield with throwing knife. Im serious, the throwing knife is leathal with the riot shield. Works great for people spraying you in the open, or when you dont want to melee twice.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slackerr26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2009 at 7:17pm
normally run with the TAR-21 with unbarrel shotty and akimbo rangers, or the intervention FMJ with akimbo G18s
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic