FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My adventure in a blizzard

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My adventure in a blizzard
    Posted: 09 December 2009 at 1:54pm
I get up at 6, head out and shovel what I could, the stairs, sidewalk and driveway before heading to work. I'll dispense with the needless commentary, and list the interesting points of the drive:

1. Missed the turn that I usually take to get onto the highway and had to find a strange route around to get back.
2. Did anywhere between 10 and 20mph on the first leg of the highway drive
3. I get about a mile from the I-90 toll booth and realize I forgot my wallet. It was necessary too, since there was no gas in the car.
4. I need to find a way back to Schenectady that I've never taken before....in the blizzard.
5. The route I find brings me to a traffic circle which flings me back the direction I need to go.
6. .....except I missed the ramp back to the highway
7. So I turn around in a motel parking lot and head back
8. ....And miss the ramp again.
9. I have to go all the way BACK to the traffic circle and go all the way around it, which I do....sideways.
10. I get back to the ramp to 890 (the highway between home and I-90) and see a Time Warner Cable van decide not to stop at a stop sign. I went past him so close all that I could do was close my eyes and wait for the jarring 'thud' as he hit my rear quarter panel. He missed me, but the pucker factor was rather high at that point.
11. I come to an intersection where i need to make a left turn, and the flippin light cycles through TWICE before I get the go ahead arrow.
12. Get home, get my wallet, and start all over again...
13. All is well until I start the last leg of freeway driving....then, the road vanishes. Completely. Not only that, but traffic also vanishes. I'm the only car on a ghost road doing 29 miles an hour.
14. I begin to fishtail on the highway as I start down the long hill that leads me to where I need to go Thankfully, by that time the weather had broken enough that I wasn't too worried. Got it straightened out and got to work with no other real problems.

Drive home: Uneventful for the most part, until I get about a mile from my exit and I have a tractor trailer pass me ON THE SHOULDER as I'm doing about 40. What freaked me out was that I saw him behind me, then he swings to the right, I thought he was going off the road....Nope, around me. On the shoulder.

Not a good morning to be driving, but it was sort of necessary.

nickman98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Et Tu, Nickman?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickman98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2009 at 2:12pm
ha....ha....
High Voltage View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Fire in the disco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Voltage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2009 at 2:38pm
Got a lot of rain yesterday which made the drive to work a pain. As I was taking the trash out at the end of my shift I noticed some pretty strong winds swaying trees a little more than I was comfortable with. Quickly moved my car when a good sized branch fell and missed it by a foot. Other than that, it is a nice day out today.
Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2009 at 3:53pm
This partly cloudy weather @ 83 degrees is killer when you want to go out for a jog.
__sneaky__ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Voted 2010 Most Improved Forumer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2009 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by Rofl_Mao Rofl_Mao wrote:

This partly cloudy weather @ 83 degrees is killer when you want to go out for a jog.
I want to punch you in the face.
"I AM a crossdresser." -Reb Cpl

Forum Vice President
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2009 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by __sneaky__ __sneaky__ wrote:

Originally posted by Rofl_Mao Rofl_Mao wrote:

I want to punch you in the face.

If you don't, I will. We're buried up to our wedding tackle in snow up here.

DaveEllis View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
back from the dead like Tupac

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveEllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2009 at 4:01pm
The storm that pounded some of the midwest went north of where I'm at.  We just got stuck today with like 2 inches of snow and 50mph winds.  Yesterday was equally yucky as it went from snowing to raining, and since I was on call for work yesterday I got to work a rollover in the sleet.

Joys of winter.
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2009 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by DaveEllis DaveEllis wrote:

The storm that pounded some of the midwest went north of where I'm at.  We just got stuck today with like 2 inches of snow and 50mph winds.  Yesterday was equally yucky as it went from snowing to raining, and since I was on call for work yesterday I got to work a rollover in the sleet.

Joys of winter.

Oh I don't miss those calls one bit. Last winter we got called out to a tanker truck that got halfway up a hill and got stuck blocking the road for three hours. Our FD got called to close the road at the bottom of the hill while another department closed off the top. We worked rotating shifts because it was snowing like a bastard and freezing.

Hitman View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Why yes, I am JUST THAT cool, thx...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hitman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2009 at 9:42pm
We're probably just getting the snow you are talking about. Here in NS, I get home from me exam at 4pm and start watching Cool Hand Luke. Look out the window when it done 2 hours later and boom! Snow everywhere.
[IMG]http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/4874/stellatn8.jpg">

Benjichang View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I pwned Leroy Jenkins!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjichang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2009 at 10:16pm
Personally, I'm already tired of winter weather, and it's just starting to get going here.
Tical3.0 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
this space for rent

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tical3.0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2009 at 10:35pm
You guys are all females. Winter rules
I ♣ hippies.
High Voltage View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Fire in the disco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Voltage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2009 at 11:19pm
Originally posted by Tical3.0 Tical3.0 wrote:

Normally I'd agree but it is getting too cold for our outdoor beer pong setup at my buddy's place.
brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2009 at 11:24pm
Originally posted by Hitman Hitman wrote:

We're probably just getting the snow you are talking about. Here in NS, I get home from me exam at 4pm and start watching Cool Hand Luke. Look out the window when it done 2 hours later and boom! Snow everywhere.

Damn, I forgot you're out east. Halifax?
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2009 at 11:30pm
Yeah it is still in the 80s here. It is annoying. 
"So when Romney wins in a landslide, what will the liberal media do?"
This Ma**edited**hine Kills **edited**as**edited**ists.

nickman98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Et Tu, Nickman?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickman98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2009 at 11:36pm
shut up whale...just shut up
__sneaky__ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Voted 2010 Most Improved Forumer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2009 at 11:48pm
Originally posted by agentwhale007 agentwhale007 wrote:

Yeah it is still in the 80s here. It is annoying. 
Ouch
"I AM a crossdresser." -Reb Cpl

Forum Vice President
The Guy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soup Can Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2009 at 12:41am
  1. it rained
  2. it snowed
  3. the ground got cold enough to freeze the rain, and sewer covers
  4. it started raining again and everything flooded.
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2009 at 7:27am

And this is why you are the poster child for the 'fail' stamp. Tongue

There is nothing, NOTHING redeeming about winter.
I've always hated it, although my intense disdain for it came to a cap last winter when I got to go to two house fires in the middle of the night....one in December and one in January. When you're standing 10 feet from a building thats doing its best to burn down and can't feel the heat.....(it was -20) you start real quick to hate the winter and the cold it brings.

I don't think I got warm for two days.

stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2009 at 8:30am

This. I love winter. Of course, here in Texas that just means a few cold, sunny days, but I absolutely hate the summer here...can't ever seem to cool off, run the crap out of AC's, fans, and anything else you've got, everyone's pissy and sweat. The winter just seems so calm in comparison, and for me anyway, there's nothing more relaxing than a nice cold night watching a movie and chilling under the heater.

God I sound old. Confused
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2009 at 8:57am
Snow is awesome!

They tremble at my name...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic