FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Deputy zaps boy, 10, with Taser

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2009 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by TheWrAith TheWrAith wrote:

I say the Officer should have used his Pepper Spray instead.. the taser was meant for Adults, to take down a 170+ pound person, not a 110 pound kid, the long term and life threatening effects on  a child are much more likely, pepper spray has no long term effects and would have ended the situation all the same.

The effects of pepper spray will last for quite some time. The tazer simply gives a jolt, drop the kid, and it's done. Much less lasting pain or impact than pepper spray or a baton- and if you expect a cop to go in unarmed against anybody with a weapon, you're deluded. Police have a right to look after their own safety. Anyone who wields a weapon at a cop bears the burden of responsibility for escalating the situation. The police officer is perfectly justified in using a proportional amount of force to protect himself.

Anyone who things a ten year armed with a pipe old couldn't present a physical danger is deluded. There are some very screwed up kids out there, and this one had already shown willingness to use violence.
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2009 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by brihard brihard wrote:

Originally posted by TheWrAith TheWrAith wrote:

I say the Officer should have used his Pepper Spray instead.. the taser was meant for Adults, to take down a 170+ pound person, not a 110 pound kid, the long term and life threatening effects on  a child are much more likely, pepper spray has no long term effects and would have ended the situation all the same.

The effects of pepper spray will last for quite some time. The tazer simply gives a jolt, drop the kid, and it's done. Much less lasting pain or impact than pepper spray or a baton- and if you expect a cop to go in unarmed against anybody with a weapon, you're deluded. Police have a right to look after their own safety. Anyone who wields a weapon at a cop bears the burden of responsibility for escalating the situation. The police officer is perfectly justified in using a proportional amount of force to protect himself.

Anyone who things a ten year armed with a pipe old couldn't present a physical danger is deluded. There are some very screwed up kids out there, and this one had already shown willingness to use violence.

But... but... but, he's a COP!  His only option is to put his arms over his had to be smashed with a pipe while he runs in to hip check the kid!  

Seriously, I just don't understand what some of the people here expect.  What would you have the officer do instead? Sword fight with is night stick?  Everyone keeps citing the need for him to use his training, but he did exactly what he's trained to do.  Trying to catch the pipe being swung would have at least resulted in broken fingers, maybe a wrist or a knee.  This way, the only pain experienced was 1/100th of a second of shock felt by the kid, who get this, was in the wrong. 
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
JoStal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoStal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2009 at 9:41pm
How ridiculous. Cops need to stop abusing their power. What's next?
__sneaky__ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Voted 2010 Most Improved Forumer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2009 at 9:46pm
I think I actually agree with the cop on this one. I am assuming it was a metal pipe, and the kid does have a background prone to violence.

Its rediculous to try and relate this to the situation with the 11 year old girl tho. Not the same thing.
"I AM a crossdresser." -Reb Cpl

Forum Vice President
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2009 at 12:10am
Quote By choopie911
I still say that a grown, TRAINED officer should be able to handle it. What did they do before tazers?

For the love of all that's holy, people. THIS COP IS TRAINED IN HOW TO DEAL WITH SITUATIONS LIKE THIS.

This is what all you nay sayers are forgetting. You might have mad ninja skills or the ability to talk fish out of water, but these "grown, trained officers" HAVE been taught how to deal with situations like this.

And they choose to use the tazser. Until you have had the same training as them, actually Shut the hell up.

Quotes from the article. :

Quote "They followed all policies and procedures. This was appropriate use of the Taser device," Teschner said.

Quote Teschner said that because of the tight quarters the boy was in, stunning the child with a Taser was a more effective way of arresting the youth rather than using pepper spray.

"They couldn't get close enough to deploy pepper spray without putting themselves in danger," Teschner said.

Quote The boy was booked into Pueblo Youth Center on suspicion of menacing with a deadly weapon

There are rules of engagement that need to be followed. Ladder of force and all that. If an adult tries "manacing with a deadly weapon" lethal force is on the charts. If this had been an adult that got capped, you'd be going on about how the mad ninja cops should have not shot the poor armed man.

Quote Jo Stal
How ridiculous. Cops need to stop abusing their power. What's next?

Uh, maybe people stop assaulting cops? How is it abusing your power if you handle the situation with no permanent harm to anyone?

Honestly. Grow up and get over the cop hating. Infact go sign up for a volunteers course at the local police station. Come back when you have some experience and are able to pass fair judgement. Walking a mile in their moccosans and all that jazz.

KBK

Edited by Kayback - 06 December 2009 at 12:12am
Frozen Balls View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1, filter dodge, 1.28.10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frozen Balls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2009 at 2:29am
Linus sinks to a new level of dumb.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frozen Balls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2009 at 2:33am
The tazer use seems justified here. He was armed, had a history of destructive behavior, and had already threatened someone.

This thread is excellent proof as to how incredibly biased many of you are, especially combined with the responses in the thread regarding the ten year old girl.

It's embarrassing. Clean yourselves up.

Edited by Frozen Balls - 06 December 2009 at 2:34am

ammolord View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ammolord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2009 at 2:37am
Id say the cop was right in his actions.
PSN Tag: AmmoLord
XBL: xXAmmoLordXx

~Minister of Tinkering With Things That Go "BOOM!"(AKA Minister of Munitions)~
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2009 at 2:50am
I'm on a completely different side of the fence than the last taser case.

Yes, a 10 year old can inflict decent amounts of damage to you with a pipe. It doesn't take much force behind something like that to give an injury.

As I said last time, a weapon makes the difference in a case like this. It's not so much age as situation; obviously a 10 year old throwing a fit and kicking is quite different than a 10 year old swinging a weapon.

I think anytime a taser is used on a minor there should be an investigation, but I don't see where the officer did any wrong from the story I read.
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2009 at 5:08pm
I'm reminded of a situation that happened at my school a few years back. A behaviorally challenged young man of about 10 or so snapped, kicked the bejesus out of one of the TA's in the school and cornered himself between the wall and a soda machine. When thy tried to get him out, he bit a pregnant lady and punched another TA in the head. My father was working there at the time and had to grab him and drag him out, suffering a number of kicks and punches himself.

The little rat physically harmed three adults....and he wasn't armed with a pipe. All the restraining techniques in the world don't mean squat if the subject is cornered and armed, and I don't care if he's 10 or 20....and you guys are seriously fond of underestimating the abilities of a 10 year old to do damage when they feel the need to, especially if they're behaviorally challenged.

Justified. No question. 

Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2009 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by ammolord ammolord wrote:

Id say the cop was right in his actions.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frozen Balls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2009 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by Reb Cpl Reb Cpl wrote:

I'm reminded of a situation that happened at my school a few years back. A behaviorally challenged young man of about 10 or so snapped, kicked the bejesus out of one of the TA's in the school and cornered himself between the wall and a soda machine. When thy tried to get him out, he bit a pregnant lady and punched another TA in the head. My father was working there at the time and had to grab him and drag him out, suffering a number of kicks and punches himself.

The little rat physically harmed three adults....and he wasn't armed with a pipe. All the restraining techniques in the world don't mean squat if the subject is cornered and armed, and I don't care if he's 10 or 20....and you guys are seriously fond of underestimating the abilities of a 10 year old to do damage when they feel the need to, especially if they're behaviorally challenged.

Justified. No question. 

I mean...are we seriously at a point in society where men are so prissy that they would rather electrocute a 10 year old than suffer a few kicks and bruises?

brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2009 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by Frozen Balls Frozen Balls wrote:

Justified. No question. 

I mean...are we seriously at a point in society where men are so prissy that they would rather electrocute a 10 year old than suffer a few kicks and bruises?

What part of 'the kid had a weapon' aren't you grasping?
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frozen Balls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2009 at 6:21pm
Now before someone goes off on a long winded post about 10 year olds with weapons; that is a completely different situation. A metal pipe can hurt an adult male. A crazy, unarmed 10 year old can hurt a pregnant teacher (what was a pregannt women doing attempting to subdue someone...?). He cannot seriously hurt an adult male.

Are you capable of seeing the difference between an armed 10 year old, and an angry 10 year old? There is a big difference between a kick in the shin and a broken knee cap from a metal pipe.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frozen Balls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2009 at 6:21pm
Oh gosh, I was too slow.

Thanks for proving my point, brihard.

Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2009 at 6:22pm

Justified. No question. 

How about perhaps the possibility of a blown out knee, or being blinded, broken fingers, open head wound.....
I'm no Chuck Norris, but I hardly think of myself as prissy, but if I had to choose between putting a few volts through a 10 year old and losing an eye.....the kid's gonna light up like a Christmas tree.

High Voltage View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Fire in the disco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Voltage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2009 at 6:27pm
Come on, how dangerous can one ten year old with a crack pipe be?
brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2009 at 6:27pm

Now before someone goes off on a long winded post about 10 year olds with weapons; that is a completely different situation. A metal pipe can hurt an adult male. A crazy, unarmed 10 year old can hurt a pregnant teacher (what was a pregannt women doing attempting to subdue someone...?). He cannot seriously hurt an adult male.

Are you capable of seeing the difference between an armed 10 year old, and an angry 10 year old? There is a big difference between a kick in the shin and a broken knee cap from a metal pipe.

My mistake, but given that the only ten year old 'electrocuted' in the anecdotes in this thread was the one with the metal pipe, it was an understandable error. Reb posted that only to demonstrate what a ten year old is capable of even without a weapon.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frozen Balls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2009 at 6:35pm
Let's get everyone on the same page:

1) It's not ok to electrocute an unarmed ten year old. Man up and deal with the bruises.

2) It is ok to electrocute an armed ten year old, if they are actually an immediate threat.

Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2009 at 6:39pm
Bri, exactly, thank you, the kid in my story was capable of medium scale carnage without having been armed. Now had you given him a piece of pipe, and kept the same set of circumstances, I can almost guarantee that the injuries sustained by the people attempting to subdue him would have been a little more serious than bruises that could be taken care of by 'manning up'  

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic