FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Argh. Digital rage.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Argh. Digital rage.
    Posted: 05 December 2009 at 12:24pm
Maybe you guys colectively have some brilliant idea that will help me out.

I've picked up some kind of malware. I managed to find and get rid of about half of it, but I've still got the more annoying part.
- Randomly, my browser will open up a new tab or tabs, usually one or two, though I've seen as much as four. Abotu three quarters of the time this is 'triggered' by me moving to a new page or opening a new tab. The new tabs used to come up with some site, but after running an adware check and getting rid of some stuff they now come up blank. Still annoying.
-Sometimes when on Google, I'm getting a browser hijack redirecting anything I click on to some crap search site, you know the kind I mean. If I re-google the same thing, usually on the second try it doesn't hijack.

It's happening both on Chrome and IE, though on IE instead of opening new tabs it opens new windows.

I've updated and run Spybot, Ad-AWare, and MBAM. I'm also running an updated version of AVG. In all cases I do a full scan, still not finding anything. This has been happening for about a week and a half.

Anyone got any ideas? It's not making my computer unusable or anything, but having a window or three randomly popping up every ten minutes is aggravating.
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2009 at 12:25pm
Oh, and IB4 jpeg of a condom or some such.
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

Eville View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 5/19, Filter-dodge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2009 at 12:26pm
Try CCleaner.  Instead of deleting just malware, it deletes all the Crap from you pc.  It is possible that it may take care of something that isn't being detected.  
holysmartone View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
1 strike- language in posted image 6/9

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote holysmartone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2009 at 1:20pm
I highly recommend hijackthis. After you run it, copy the logfile and past it on THIS website and it will analyze it fairly well for you. Also try windows defender, it has managed to catch a few for me.
Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2009 at 1:22pm
brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2009 at 1:30pm
Tried CCleaner- awesome program, did a lot of useful stuff - but still no luck.

I DID detect a sketchy as hell startup entry in all chinese characters, which is now gone. The site that tries to load on the browser tab popups is foreign, I think- it's jsut a random string of characters after http://, not even all of them letters or numbers. I mean totally random symbols. It's trying to load something in a character set I don't have. I suspect the Chinese startup was related to this.

I'll keep fooling around with it. This is leading me into a more general cleanup/maintenance of my laptop anyway.

choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2009 at 2:37pm
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2009 at 2:41pm
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
ParielIsBack View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
future target of fratricide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2009 at 5:04pm
LOL Tallen.

I would clean install before buying Snow Leopard though.  Probably save you a bunch of money.
BU Engineering 2012
__sneaky__ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Voted 2010 Most Improved Forumer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2009 at 5:07pm

Tallen, I lol'd.

Also, bri, your sig also made me lol.
"I AM a crossdresser." -Reb Cpl

Forum Vice President
MeanMan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MeanMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2009 at 5:43pm
Tallen, do you know how long it took me to figure out the firefox logo was on her shirt? I like.

hybrid-sniper~"To be honest, if I see a player still using an Impulse I'm going to question their motives."
The Guy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soup Can Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2009 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

Took me a good minute or so to see the FF logo.

Update your Spybot and Ad-aware if you have it. Reboot into Safe Mode and run both. Spybot will do all sorts of cool Safemode stuff, and when you relaunch, it will do another scan before your OS even fully loads.
Shub View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I donít have one either. Is that good???

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2009 at 3:14am
If you are familiar with Windows processes, I recommend Process Explorer and Autoruns, from Sysinternals, a great company that understood the underpinnings of Windows so well that Microsoft bought them.
carl_the_sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 7/29, Bad Linky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2009 at 8:19am

Originally posted by choopie911 choopie911 wrote:

Not worth it.

<just say no to unnecessarily sexualized sigs>
RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2009 at 9:52am
It was only like $15 for me.

SandMan:"oh yeah, sporx is totally hot"
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2009 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by carl_the_sniper carl_the_sniper wrote:

Originally posted by choopie911 choopie911 wrote:

Not worth it.

Wrong, but okay.
brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2009 at 4:07pm
Still no friggin luck, I've used Spybot to check all my startup entires, have selectively disabled the ones that could be causing it, and still nothing. This little bastard is the most tenacious malware I've ever had.

Eville View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 5/19, Filter-dodge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2009 at 4:25pm
might as well just refomat
Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2009 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2009 at 1:07am
Originally posted by brihard brihard wrote:

Still no friggin luck, I've used Spybot to check all my startup entires, have selectively disabled the ones that could be causing it, and still nothing. This little bastard is the most tenacious malware I've ever had.

Reformat and remember:

For your own protection!
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic