FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I "need" to rant for a minute...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I "need" to rant for a minute...
    Posted: 04 December 2009 at 9:48am

Ok, so business is bad… really bad, back in January we had 33 employees, today we have 19. Our customers are scared to spend money on printing as they don't know what they will be paying for their employees health care, or their cost of energy... So everything is on hold until "the new year, or second quarter"...

One of our customers, (hmm a large university here in town) has sent me a survey.

And I’m about to scream. They have sent it to me four times now, and I so want to respond this way…

I’ll skip the “company name, your name part”.

Here is the first question…

3. Are you a certified Minority or Woman Owned Business Enterprise? 

If Yes, in what state and what are opportunities for __ to realize more spend with you?

How I would like to respond…

Our company is owned by a Cherokee Indian who believes that being "classified" as a minority is a disgrace to good work ethics. A company should stand on its priciples and be judged for its service and quality instead of being rewarded for its "minority" standing. Therefore we have never applied nor would for any "handouts" because of our lineage or ethnic standing.

4. What is the annual spend ___ University currently has with your company?

5. Are any of your 2nd tier suppliers Minority or Women owned Business Enterprise?

If yes, please list the 2nd tier suppliers, percentage of ___ spend with them, and any efforts to increase the amount of these 2nd tier suppliers?

We also partner with other like minded companies that also strive to do the best they can and always offer the best service, price and quality available. But, we don't base our relationships with vendors based on prejudices like skin color or how this will benefit our companies "image".

6. What are any opportunities for ___ University to realize more 2nd tier Minority or Woman owned Business Enterprise spend?

7. Are any of your facilities LEED certified?

We are a small family run business that runs its company with Biblical principles, part of those principles is to be good stewards of the funds we are provided with, and spending money to get a certification that we are doing the best we can with our energy requirements would not be a "prudent" use of those resources. The typical LEED certification including audits runs around $10,000.

8. Does your company have paperless efforts?

We are a PRINTING company… paperless reduces the amount of “printing” needed. So yes, we are striving to keep our customers from purchasing the things we produce to be politically correct and save the environment from ourselves.

9. Does your company recycle?

We produce many projects on recycled materials, we also recycle all of our environmentally safe soy based inks, and ink waste. All of our paper waste (trim, and bindery waste) is recycled as well, and goes back into our company. We recycle our shop rags and use chemicals in our process that are not harmful for the environment.

10. Has your company employed any methods to improve energy efficiency within your organization?

We have gone through the ISO process, as well as the Lean process, both of which have helped us curb costs, so that we can try and gain projects from customers like you that only care about the cost of the project, and how many minorities you are “helping” with your purchasing decisions. The way you will give a project to one vendor vs another based on the .29 cent difference on the $20,000 project makes me sick. But, anything to be politically correct I guess.

We would still have our “certification in both ISO and Lean, but in order to drop our prices that extra .29 cents on the $20,000 project that we lost this year, we have decided it is futile to try and keep you happy with all of our “certifications” that do nothing but cost us money, which in turn cost us the projects that you require. We still follow the procedures, but we don’t spend the yearly money for the audit and the “certification” so that we can keep our cost in line with your cheapskatedness when it comes to purchasing decisions.

Edited by FreeEnterprise - 04 December 2009 at 9:50am
They tremble at my name...
ParielIsBack View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
future target of fratricide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2009 at 10:03am
Yes, clearly the cost of energy and health care are just so high all of a sudden that they must be at fault.
BU Engineering 2012
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2009 at 10:14am
Dealt with this crap for years. It's why I never pursued business in the military sector.
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2009 at 11:49am
Originally posted by FreeEnterprise FreeEnterprise wrote:

We have gone through the ISO process, as well as the Lean process, both of which have helped us curb costs,

Quote with all of our “certifications” that do nothing but cost us money, which in turn cost us the projects that you require.

So did the environmental certs save you money or cost you money?

I'm confused.
"So when Romney wins in a landslide, what will the liberal media do?"
This Ma**edited**hine Kills **edited**as**edited**ists.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2009 at 11:52am
When you originally set up the new processes, you save money. Each year in order to "keep" those "certifications" you must go through an audit process, and then pay for your "certification".

For ISO it costs around $3-4,000 per year including hiring the outside firm to audit you.

Lean is similar.

You don't need the certification to follow the cost saving principles. But, in order to be politically correct, for forms like this... You have to pay.

The worse one is the FSC certification. Total scam, and $10,000.
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2009 at 11:57am
Hmm.

I'm not familiar with either one of those programs. I know quite a bit about LEED due to working at a business newspaper for a while and writing a bunch on it.

"So when Romney wins in a landslide, what will the liberal media do?"
This Ma**edited**hine Kills **edited**as**edited**ists.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2009 at 12:20pm
ISO is perhaps the most common certification companies can have.  Everyone else is doing it, so if your competition can handle the cost, shouldn't you be able to too?
BU Engineering 2012
jmac3 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2009 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by ParielIsBack ParielIsBack wrote:

Yes, clearly the cost of energy and health care are just so high all of a sudden that they must be at fault.
Que pasa?

High Voltage View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Fire in the disco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Voltage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2009 at 4:01pm

ISO is perhaps the most common certification companies can have.  Everyone else is doing it, so if your competition can handle the cost, shouldn't you be able to too?

This.
bravecoward View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
oxymoran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bravecoward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2009 at 5:56pm
Are you sure they aren't looking for companies to set up a Co-op with?
brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2009 at 6:42pm
What's wrong with the free market allowing an grganization to choose who it does business with based on its own principles?

I, personally, think that some of the questions asked are simply BS, but there's nothing actually *wrong* with it. It's no different from people buying 'fair trade' coffe and so on and so forth.

Not my cup of tea, but hell, if people want to spend a bit more cash so that they are advancing certain social issues they hold dear, so be it. I imagine you probably have other customers who like you specifically because you're a fairly small, independently owned outfit. My girlfriend's family's bookstore get sa lot of business on that basis.

You can never make everyone happy...
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2009 at 9:23am
whats wrong is this isn't a "private" company. This is a GOVERNMENT institution. Paid for with MY tax dollars.
Public universities should not be cutting out vendors because of discrimination.

Private companies are free to do as they wish, but when public institutions that are paid for with tax dollars. What gives them the right to choose to eliminate a supplier because they aren't "ethnic" enough?...

In other words, my tax dollars are good enough for them to keep them in business, but my work isn't...

Political correctness is rediculous.

Just look at the companies that did the road projects all over the country from the "stimulus" bill. I bet every single one is a UNION job.

hmm. Thats wierd...

One of my friends that owns one of the largest blacktopping companies in my area bid on all the projects that were here. He didn't get one, and they even said it was because they prefered using minority businesses.

The minority businesses they used ended up being too small to handle the work, so they sub contracted to the large union companies to actually do the work.

Oh, and they weren't even the lowest bidder.... They wanted to help minority business they said.

It stinks.
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2009 at 2:33pm

whats wrong is this isn't a "private" company. This is a GOVERNMENT institution. Paid for with MY tax dollars.

Public universities should not be cutting out vendors because of discrimination.

Private companies are free to do as they wish, but when public institutions that are paid for with tax dollars. What gives them the right to choose to eliminate a supplier because they aren't "ethnic" enough?...

In other words, my tax dollars are good enough for them to keep them in business, but my work isn't...

Political correctness is rediculous.

Just look at the companies that did the road projects all over the country from the "stimulus" bill. I bet every single one is a UNION job.

hmm. Thats wierd...

One of my friends that owns one of the largest blacktopping companies in my area bid on all the projects that were here. He didn't get one, and they even said it was because they prefered using minority businesses.

The minority businesses they used ended up being too small to handle the work, so they sub contracted to the large union companies to actually do the work.

Oh, and they weren't even the lowest bidder.... They wanted to help minority business they said.

It stinks.

I could be wrong here....but aren't universities private? Unless anyone can go there for free, it seems to me that's a private school. There are admission standards, and tuition, unlike public schools.
jmac3 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2009 at 2:33pm

+all the tuition of people that go there...
Que pasa?

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2009 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by choopie911 choopie911 wrote:

I could be wrong here....but aren't universities private? Unless anyone can go there for free, it seems to me that's a private school. There are admission standards, and tuition, unlike public schools.

Public universities in the US have admission standards.
BU Engineering 2012
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2009 at 8:29pm

Originally posted by choopie911 choopie911 wrote:

Public universities in the US have admission standards.
And are funded at least partially by state taxes.  There are private universities, but they are typically FAR more expensive than state funded colleges and universities.
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
Bolt3 View Drop Down
What?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bolt3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2009 at 10:56pm
What school is it?
<Removed sig for violation of Clause 4 of the New Sig Rules>
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic