Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rosetta Stone

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Gator Taco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gator Taco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rosetta Stone
    Posted: 02 December 2009 at 10:15am
Does anybody have any experience with it? I plan on taking German either this semester or next one and am curious if Rosetta Stone is actually worth my time. My Brother used it to become fluent in French a few summers back and constantly raves on about how great a program it is, however I'm slightly skeptical.

I'll probably just torrent it, but I'm curious if its worth my time or if I should just stick with taking class at school.
Gatyr View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Begging for strikes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2009 at 10:20am
Out of curiosity, why do you want to take German?

I hear mixed reviews about RS, though. If I had to guess, I'd think how well you learn the language has more to do with learning styles instead of the effectiveness of the software.
reifidom View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Zatoichi

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reifidom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2009 at 10:27am
I'm curious about this myself. I've been looking at Rosetta Stone both to refresh and keep up on my German and to possibly learn Spanish or French.

I know that Spanish would be more useful in daily life and on my resume, but I'm not as interested in it.

High Voltage View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Fire in the disco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Voltage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2009 at 12:10pm
I don't really care about the software, but the chick they have in their commercials has a nice rack.
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2009 at 12:16pm

Oddly enough, I have been considering learning German as well, but having a tough time coming off the $500+ software.

"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
Eville View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 5/19, Filter-dodge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2009 at 12:17pm
Can you really put a price on knowledge?
High Voltage View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Fire in the disco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Voltage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2009 at 12:19pm
ITT: people who don't know how to pirate software.
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2009 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by Eville Eville wrote:

Apparently so.
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
Eville View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2009 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by oldpbnoob oldpbnoob wrote:

Apparently so.

WRONG!
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2009 at 12:30pm

Apparently so.

WRONG!
Au contraire. You can always put a price on knowledge. In this case, about $700 for the level 1-5 set of Rosetta Stone. In the case of college, there is a price per semester, even public edumacation has a cost which is usually pretty accurately known. So in fact, you can put a price on knowledge. Knowledge always has a price and when your parents aren't paying for it, this price needs to be considered when you are also responsible for things like mortgage, food, utilities, childcare etc.

NB4, OH yeah!?

WGP guy2 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I play the Bag Pipes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WGP guy2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2009 at 12:37pm
I just started with the Rosetta Stone German.  It's really interesting how well it works.  The first level is it says a german phrase and you have to pick the picture that matches the phrase.  There is no translation, you just have to figure out which it is.  The actions and things get mixed up throughout, so you can pick out what is what.  After the first night I knew basic pronouns and actions.  It works pretty good, give it a try.
Eville View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2009 at 12:44pm

Apparently so.

WRONG!
Au contraire. You can always put a price on knowledge. In this case, about $700 for the level 1-5 set of Rosetta Stone. In the case of college, there is a price per semester, even public edumacation has a cost which is usually pretty accurately known. So in fact, you can put a price on knowledge. Knowledge always has a price and when your parents aren't paying for it, this price needs to be considered when you are also responsible for things like mortgage, food, utilities, childcare etc.

NB4, OH yeah!?

OH yeah!?
Gatyr View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Begging for strikes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2009 at 1:26pm

God, I hope so. Otherwise I don't know why I'm paying so much for a Liberal Arts degree with a focus on philosophy.
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2009 at 1:37pm
My daughter is using the spanish, started this fall, she already knows more spanish than I do, and I took 3 years in school...

Very good program.

Don't steal, its unethical. Besides, if you have to save up for something, you will treat it with more respect and will work harder to achieve your goal, than you would if you just stole it, or were given it for free.
They tremble at my name...
ParielIsBack View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
future target of fratricide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2009 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by FreeEnterprise FreeEnterprise wrote:

Don't steal, its unethical.

This is true.

Quote Besides, if you have to save up for something, you will treat it with more respect and will work harder to achieve your goal, than you would if you just stole it, or were given it for free.

I'm pretty sure there's no evidence for that statement.
BU Engineering 2012
The Guy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soup Can Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2009 at 2:56pm
can you learn American Sign Language with Rosetta stone?
Talk about "good on the resume".
ParielIsBack View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
future target of fratricide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2009 at 3:12pm
Perhaps.

Honestly, I think the top languages you can study today are Chinese, Farsi, and Spanish, depending what job you're looking at.  No matter how much we like to think English is the most important language, those three will all be shaping our country for the foreseeable future.
BU Engineering 2012
Frozen Balls View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1, filter dodge, 1.28.10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frozen Balls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2009 at 3:53pm
I have heard that it works very well if you actually do everything it tells you to do.

carl_the_sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 7/29, Bad Linky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2009 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by FreeEnterprise FreeEnterprise wrote:

My daughter is using the spanish, started this fall, she already knows more spanish than I do, and I took 3 years in school...

Very good program.

Don't steal, its unethical. Besides, if you have to save up for something, you will treat it with more respect and will work harder to achieve your goal, than you would if you just stole it, or were given it for free.

I agree completely with both of those statements.

Also why I no longer torrent video games.

<just say no to unnecessarily sexualized sigs>
Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2009 at 3:58pm
I did a demo of it in the mall on one of those booths, and it was pretty cool.

I agree with frozen because in the program you can "go back" or "skip" or "get help" so it can be easy to just not try.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic