FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Windows 7 Fail

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Windows 7 Fail
    Posted: 23 November 2009 at 2:06pm
Who builds an OS without a disk utility? Seriously. I'm trying to mount and install from an .iso but am completely unable to. I downloaded alcohol 52% which is supposed to have windows 7 support. Sure enough of course it doesn't, and it doesn't even give me the option of trying to run it anyways, it just tells me its unsupported and gives me the option to close it.
Of course this makes sense because my friend JUST installed the same copy of the same program onto the same install of windows 7 on his own laptop, which is the same as mine....
So that's great, so I go get daemon tools instead. Yay, it shows up in my tray at least, but sure enough I try to open the .iso and WHOOPS COMMAND LINE ERROR.

Also, why on earth did they choose to start their new os with the flashing cursor? It's SO budget it's sad.
Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - language 6.29.10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2009 at 2:16pm
PowerISO?

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2009 at 2:21pm
I'm just going through various programs and trying them and nothing is working. It either errors, or isn't supported. Then it decided to fail at copying a file from a dvd with 9 minutes left which was super, and I had to use task manager to get rid of the "cancelling transfer" window, which then somehow removed EVERYTHING from my screen except the mouse and wallpaper.... then it went to the "change user" screen and went back and everything was fine.

At that point I gave up and booted back to OS X.

I know I had talked about liking windows 7 before for games and stuff, and had only used it for basic browsing, games, etc. Now that I'm trying to use this for work, it's terribad. So many stupid design decisions that should have been figured out in Windows XP onwards.
I know it's just the Microsoft way of doing things, but they certainly aren't fans of simplicity or intuitive design.
jmac3 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2009 at 2:24pm
Told ya so.

Edited by jmac3 - 23 November 2009 at 2:25pm
Que pasa?

God View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Pull My Finger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2009 at 2:26pm
Microsoft is used to its users being capable of using more than one mouse button.
carl_the_sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 7/29, Bad Linky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2009 at 2:26pm

Pirated copy choopie?

I've seen directions online to get the files onto a bootable cd but I will have to look for the site later.

<just say no to unnecessarily sexualized sigs>
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2009 at 3:11pm
I use MagicDisk for mounting ISO...it works, I actually just did it on a windows 7 machine today.

Rp Fr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
This title is just way too old

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote  Rp Fr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2009 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by choopie911 choopie911 wrote:

Who builds an OS without a disk utility? Seriously. I'm trying to mount and install from an .iso but am completely unable to. I downloaded alcohol 52% which is supposed to have windows 7 support. Sure enough of course it doesn't, and it doesn't even give me the option of trying to run it anyways, it just tells me its unsupported and gives me the option to close it.
Of course this makes sense because my friend JUST installed the same copy of the same program onto the same install of windows 7 on his own laptop, which is the same as mine....
So that's great, so I go get daemon tools instead. Yay, it shows up in my tray at least, but sure enough I try to open the .iso and WHOOPS COMMAND LINE ERROR.

Also, why on earth did they choose to start their new os with the flashing cursor? It's SO budget it's sad.

Sounds like a corrupt loader, not Windows 7. Also, I thought I heard that Windows 7 has it's own ISO loader now; you don't need 3rd party software.
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2009 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by  Rp Fr Rp Fr wrote:

Sounds like a corrupt loader, not Windows 7. Also, I thought I heard that Windows 7 has it's own ISO loader now; you don't need 3rd party software.

Actually, I noticed this too when I was trying my install today. They do have one but it was sort of a pain in the neck to learn on the fly, so I stuck with what I know and installed MagicDisk and it worked without a flaw.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2009 at 3:33pm
I'll give those a try. ALSO, who ships a modern OS with no pdf support? Seriously who is in charge of these things? They also made the control panel for children, which is annoying instead of straight forward.
ParielIsBack View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
future target of fratricide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2009 at 3:41pm
You can change the control panel to Classic View, if you'd like.  Once you get used to the new version, it really is somewhat faster.

Also, I've been using PowerISO on the 7 RC for what, 4,5 months now with no problems. I seriously doubt they somehow screwed up it's compatibility in the RTM.

I thought having to download Adobe was a bit silly, but it's not like it's very difficult.
BU Engineering 2012
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2009 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by ParielIsBack ParielIsBack wrote:

You can change the control panel to Classic View, if you'd like. Once you get used to the new version, it really is somewhat faster.Also, I've been using PowerISO on the 7 RC for what, 4,5 months now with no problems. I seriously doubt they somehow screwed up it's compatibility in the RTM.I thought having to download Adobe was a bit silly, but it's not like it's very difficult.

Yeah I don't think they're all messed up, I've just had really unfortunate luck getting a working one.
And it's not about if its difficult or not, it's just something simple that you include. I'd think they were CRAZY if they didn't include .jpg or .mp3 support, and .pdf is pretty much up there in terms of "what idiot didn't include this?"

Frozen Balls View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1, filter dodge, 1.28.10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frozen Balls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2009 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by jmac3 jmac3 wrote:

Told ya so.

Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2009 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by God God wrote:

Microsoft is used to its users being capable of using more than one mouse button.

Win. Big smile
High Voltage View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Fire in the disco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Voltage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2009 at 4:16pm
Use WinRAR to open and extract the goods from the .iso and install from a folder, you noob.

This thread should read Choopie911 MEGAFAIL.
FarSeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FarSeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2009 at 4:25pm
I've heard that BootCamp causes all sorts of problems with Win7. Us Mac users may have to wait for an update before installing Win7.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2009 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by FarSeer FarSeer wrote:

I've heard that BootCamp causes all sorts of problems with Win7. Us Mac users may have to wait for an update before installing Win7.

Wrong.

My brother has been Bootcamping Windows 7 for the last month, and I've been using the RC since July or August.  I also have heard a large number of fellow Mac owners on the Nation who have had no trouble installing and using 7.

It works fine.
BU Engineering 2012
ammolord View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ammolord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2009 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by Rofl_Mao Rofl_Mao wrote:

Originally posted by God God wrote:

Win. Big smile
PSN Tag: AmmoLord
XBL: xXAmmoLordXx

~Minister of Tinkering With Things That Go "BOOM!"(AKA Minister of Munitions)~
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2009 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by High Voltage High Voltage wrote:

Use WinRAR to open and extract the goods from the .iso and install from a folder, you noob.This thread should read Choopie911 MEGAFAIL.

And winrar is built into the OS now, and you can do this from first install without add ons?
No. Thus windows 7 FAIL.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2009 at 9:36pm
The difference is that you have a choice of programs with Windows, so this way you actually get to go ahead, make the choice, and take a few seconds to download it.
BU Engineering 2012
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic