FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Windows 7 Fail

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
ParielIsBack View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
future target of fratricide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2009 at 10:53am
Originally posted by Frozen Balls Frozen Balls wrote:

Oh hey, I actually have a serious question.

With VM ware fusion,

1) does it work with windows 7
2) is it possible to transfer files between mac/pc partitions in a fluid, not-complex manner?

Yes.

Yes.

I've got a copy waiting to be installed three feet from me.  Is good stuff.
BU Engineering 2012
Shub View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I donít have one either. Is that good???

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2009 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by jerseypaint jerseypaint wrote:

For some reason Windows is a very selfish program, always has been. It basically refuses all other files other than what is located on its OS. Its really the only problem I have with Windows, especially since it refuses to read my Ubuntu partition.

Windows cannot see your Ubuntu partitions due to file system incompatibilities. Windows uses the FAT32 and NTFS file systems. Ubuntu can see and understand those file systems (that's why ubuntu can see your Windows partition). But, Ubuntu doesn't use FAT32 or NTFS as it's primary file system, it typically uses the EXT* family of file systems. You can download utilities for Windows that will allow Windows to see and mount foreign file systems.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2009 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by choopie911 choopie911 wrote:

Originally posted by ParielIsBack ParielIsBack wrote:

If you're using MacDrive or a similar program, you should just be able to play directly from the folder. 

I agree, thats what I thought. That is a really nice part of win7 so far, you can read your mac partition without macdrive, so I thought it should work no problem. But still, I added my library as normal, but no songs showed up

Hmmm, I will have to check this out.

Does not seem to happen on the RC.
BU Engineering 2012
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2009 at 3:07pm

Oh hey, I actually have a serious question.With VM ware fusion,1) does it work with windows 72) is it possible to transfer files between mac/pc partitions in a fluid, not-complex manner?
Yes.Yes.I've got a copy waiting to be installed three feet from me.† Is good stuff.

I've been able to access files on my mac partition in windows 7 already. Could have been a driver installed through bootcamp, but I didn't need macdrive or anything
jerseypaint View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerseypaint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2009 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by Shub Shub wrote:

Originally posted by jerseypaint jerseypaint wrote:

For some reason Windows is a very selfish program, always has been. It basically refuses all other files other than what is located on its OS. Its really the only problem I have with Windows, especially since it refuses to read my Ubuntu partition.

Windows cannot see your Ubuntu partitions due to file system incompatibilities. Windows uses the FAT32 and NTFS file systems. Ubuntu can see and understand those file systems (that's why ubuntu can see your Windows partition). But, Ubuntu doesn't use FAT32 or NTFS as it's primary file system, it typically uses the EXT* family of file systems. You can download utilities for Windows that will allow Windows to see and mount foreign file systems.

I can't believe I didn't realize this.
Frozen Balls View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1, filter dodge, 1.28.10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frozen Balls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2009 at 3:49pm

Oh hey, I actually have a serious question.With VM ware fusion,1) does it work with windows 72) is it possible to transfer files between mac/pc partitions in a fluid, not-complex manner?
Yes.Yes.I've got a copy waiting to be installed three feet from me.  Is good stuff.

I've been able to access files on my mac partition in windows 7 already. Could have been a driver installed through bootcamp, but I didn't need macdrive or anything

Cool. I'm pretty close to buying a new macbook pro and fusion comes free with it. Big smile

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2009 at 4:15pm

Yes.Yes.I've got a copy waiting to be installed three feet from me.  Is good stuff.

Did they just show up?  I'm trying to see it on the RC, haven't found anything by Googling.
BU Engineering 2012
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2009 at 4:37pm

Yes.Yes.I've got a copy waiting to be installed three feet from me.† Is good stuff.

Did they just show up?† I'm trying to see it on the RC, haven't found anything by Googling.

What do you mean? I just navigate to the files normally, it just has the mac partition visible
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2009 at 6:13pm
I think the feature just doesn't exist in the RC.  When I get my copy of 7 installed, I'll have to take a look again.
BU Engineering 2012
Hairball!!! View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

traded 2yo strike for crappy title

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hairball!!! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2009 at 6:59pm
I think a fairly recent version of Boot Camp included the hfs filesystem reading capability.
Koolit32 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
1 strike, language in link 4/10/10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Koolit32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2009 at 8:52pm
I'm using virtual clone drive. I hated windows 7 at first, forced to use it at work. Now I have it looking sexy and I'm enjoying that.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2009 at 10:44pm
Originally posted by Hairball!!! Hairball!!! wrote:

I think a fairly recent version of Boot Camp included the hfs filesystem reading capability.

That makes more sense than including it in Windows 7.

I'll go check it out.

*EDIT* Yep, reading HFS+ is supported under Boot Camp 3.0, according to Wikipedia.  Which means you have to own 10.6. Not paying for that, don't even use the Mac side much.

Edited by ParielIsBack - 27 November 2009 at 11:12pm
BU Engineering 2012
Mehs View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
An Hero

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mehs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2009 at 3:26pm
Have you tried running it in compatibility mode for Windows XP or Vista?  That's literally all I had to do when I was using the RC, and it worked fine.
[IMG]http://i27.tinypic.com/1538fbc.jpg">
Squeeze Box
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2009 at 7:05pm
What are talking about right now?  If it's Boot Camp, that's working fine.

But reading HFS+ file types is only supported by version 3.0, which is only available if you own 10.6, which I do not.
BU Engineering 2012
Hairball!!! View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

traded 2yo strike for crappy title

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hairball!!! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2009 at 9:08pm
Don't forget that 10.6 is only $30.
Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2009 at 9:52pm
so boot camp is for people who buy a $2000 computer and realize they cant do anything with it and they buy something else that can make it do stuff?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2009 at 10:00pm
Originally posted by Rofl_Mao Rofl_Mao wrote:

so boot camp is for people who buy a $2000 computer and realize they cant do anything with it and they buy something else that can make it do stuff?

Not at all really, it's an easy way to have multiple operating systems (not just windows) on one machine that you know has good hardware and support.
Frozen Balls View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1, filter dodge, 1.28.10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frozen Balls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2009 at 2:55am

Not at all really, it's an easy way to have multiple operating systems (not just windows) on one machine that you know has good hardware and support.

Yup.

For example, I need windows for literally a single program. The rest of what I do can be done on mac.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2009 at 3:01am

Yup.For example, I need windows for literally a single program. The rest of what I do can be done on mac.

Yeah, I use it for steam, and for Unreal Editor this semester.
a_sock View Drop Down
closet MILSIMer, rides WAAHMbulance

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a_sock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2009 at 9:51am
Hey, computer noob here, just got a new computer with windows 7 and have no idea how to get the information required to get on xbox live(ie ipv4 ip address, gateway and such. Found it on my old computer within a minute, but cant find it on the new one...)

its easy to be famous, just set yourself on fire
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic