FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Windows 7 Fail

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Rp Fr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
This title is just way too old

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote  Rp Fr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2009 at 11:47pm
Originally posted by Darur Darur wrote:

Ok, pretty sure choopie is just trolling now

Originally posted by Benjichang Benjichang wrote:

Fail thread is fail.

Shub View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I dont have one either. Is that good???

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2009 at 3:12am
Originally posted by choopie911 choopie911 wrote:

"The complaint centered on the license practices at the time which required royalties from each computer sold by a supplier of Microsoft's operating system, whether or not the unit actually contained the Windows operating system. Microsoft reached a settlement in 1994, ending some of its license practices"

And as I recall the IE issue was with a microsoft monopoly?
I could be wrong, as it's been AGES since I heard/ thought about those cases, so I wouldnt be too surprised if I'm off on something.

The media player thing did include some licensing complaints. That was a while ago now. But the IE thing isn't ages old...it was on anti-competition laws, and it was regarding the release of Windows 7 and IE 8, released in Europe on the same schedule as North America, Oct 22.
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2009 at 4:20am
Originally posted by Shub Shub wrote:

"The complaint centered on the license practices at the time which required royalties from each computer sold by a supplier of Microsoft's operating system, whether or not the unit actually contained the Windows operating system. Microsoft reached a settlement in 1994, ending some of its license practices"

And as I recall the IE issue was with a microsoft monopoly?
I could be wrong, as it's been AGES since I heard/ thought about those cases, so I wouldnt be too surprised if I'm off on something.

The media player thing did include some licensing complaints. That was a while ago now. But the IE thing isn't ages old...it was on anti-competition laws, and it was regarding the release of Windows 7 and IE 8, released in Europe on the same schedule as North America, Oct 22.

Im not sure I get it, but that just seems silly :S
Frozen Balls View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1, filter dodge, 1.28.10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frozen Balls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2009 at 4:32am
Choopie isn't trolling.

There is a reason Windows is trying so hard to imitate Mac functionality and style.

ParielIsBack View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
future target of fratricide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2009 at 12:28pm
You mean because college students are easily tricked into buying something by its appearance, rather than its actual capabilities?

There is a reason that Windows has the majority of the market.
BU Engineering 2012
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2009 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by ParielIsBack ParielIsBack wrote:

You mean because college students are easily tricked into buying something by its appearance, rather than its actual capabilities?There is a reason that Windows has the majority of the market.

And you just named it.
God View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Pull My Finger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2009 at 3:57pm

Not really, it's expecting certain features to be common sense and working by this day and age, and thinking it's laughable that they still don't.

Why is it common sense to include it? Microsoft hasnt included it thus far in any of their OS, Microsoft users know where to easily get a free copy of a pdf reader that they are familiar with installing with every new OS. The only people that would have an issue are mac users that are used to being coddled and with 80 percent of the market, does Microsoft really need to go out and coddle such a small part of their potential customer base?

Plus, by including the program, Microsoft would have to be responsible to update the software and maintain its usability. Why try and tackle another program when there are other companies that offer the same product for free? 

Your complaint can be likened to saying that the SnowLeopard OS is a failure because it does not come with Minesweeper installed.

Edited by God - 26 November 2009 at 3:59pm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2009 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by God God wrote:

Not really, it's expecting certain features to be common sense and working by this day and age, and thinking it's laughable that they still don't.

Why is it common sense to include it? Microsoft hasnt included it thus far in any of their OS, Microsoft users know where to easily get a free copy of a pdf reader that they are familiar with installing with every new OS. The only people that would have an issue are mac users that are used to being coddled and with 80 percent of the market, does Microsoft really need to go out and coddle such a small part of their potential customer base?
Plus, by including the program, Microsoft would have to be responsible to update the software and maintain its usability. Why try and tackle another program when there are other companies that offer the same product for free?
Your complaint can be likened to saying that the SnowLeopard OS is a failure because it does not come with Minesweeper installed.

Once again, a specific program (a game at that) is NOT the same thing as asking for basic file functionality and support. And I'm sorry if Microsoft would have a hard time keeping pdf support up to date, what business do they have making operating systems? They should be able to manage just fine considering their resources.

So should cars be sold without stereos because they know people can just go out and buy their own better one that is more up to date than the car manufacturer can supply?
God View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Pull My Finger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2009 at 4:06pm
For anyone that has an office job knows, Minesweeper is used more than any .pdf program.

When you acquired Windows 7, your bought an OS not a pdf reader.

You wouldnt expect your OS to come with a full functioning publishing suite of software would you?

Edited by God - 26 November 2009 at 4:08pm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2009 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by God God wrote:

For anyone that has an office job knows, Minesweeper is used more than any .pdf program.
When youacquired Windows 7, your bought an OS not a pdf reader.

That is a good point about minesweeper. And I know, I just still expect certain basic, basic things. That's just one of the gripes with Windows, I just don't like how they tend to do things. Even their file system structure seems unintuitive (well it sort of is)
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frozen Balls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2009 at 4:33pm

You mean because college students are easily tricked into buying something by its appearance, rather than its actual capabilities?

Aside from mathlab or whatever, which only applies to a small group of students, there are very few reasons for a college student to require any specific OS. They take the one that doesn't suck, won't give them viruses, and won't crash.

Why would a college student ever buy a Sony? They are just as expensive as Mac, and do the same thing.

I've said it before: people buy Mac (and Sony) for the same reasons they buy Audi and BMW.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2009 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by Frozen Balls Frozen Balls wrote:

You mean because college students are easily tricked into buying something by its appearance, rather than its actual capabilities?There is a reason that Windows has the majority of the market.
Aside from mathlab or whatever, which only applies to a small group of students, there are very few reasons for a college student to require any specific OS. They take the one that doesn't suck, won't give them viruses, and won't crash.Why would a college student ever buy a Sony? They are just as expensive as Mac, and do the same thing.I've said it before: people buy Mac (and Sony) for the same reasons they buy Audi and BMW.

That's funny, because Microsoft and Ford do remind me of one another quite a bit.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2009 at 5:36pm

Aside from mathlab or whatever, which only applies to a small group of students, there are very few reasons for a college student to require any specific OS. They take the one that doesn't suck, won't give them viruses, and won't crash.

Why would a college student ever buy a Sony? They are just as expensive as Mac, and do the same thing.

I've said it before: people buy Mac (and Sony) for the same reasons they buy Audi and BMW.

The vast majority of students could spend half as much on a PC as they do on their Mac, and get the same functionality.

Sony doesn't even have a significant market share, using them as an example is misleading.

Asus, HP, and Dell all produce reliable computers with the same specs as a Macbook for half the price.

If you're willing to pay out the butt for OS X, feel free.  Personally, I see it as being highly unlikely that I will ever buy another Mac product.  If I ever did decide to use OS X again, I would not run it on a Mac, I would buy a PC to install it on.

There's simply no reason to pay the massive price for their hardware, just to get a different OS with no significant functional differences.

And if you think that you're safe from viruses and worms, I would suggest that in the next few years, that will not be true.  Not that I actually have any problems with them on Windows, and frankly taking steps to prevent infection are just not hard.

Edited by ParielIsBack - 26 November 2009 at 5:39pm
BU Engineering 2012
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2009 at 6:25pm

Aside from mathlab or whatever, which only applies to a small group of students, there are very few reasons for a college student to require any specific OS. They take the one that doesn't suck, won't give them viruses, and won't crash.Why would a college student ever buy a Sony? They are just as expensive as Mac, and do the same thing.I've said it before: people buy Mac (and Sony) for the same reasons they buy Audi and BMW.
The vast majority of students could spend half as much on a PC as they do on their Mac, and get the same functionality.Sony doesn't even have a significant market share, using them as an example is misleading.Asus, HP, and Dell all produce reliable computers with the same specs as a Macbook for half the price.If you're willing to pay out the butt for OS X, feel free. Personally, I see it as being highly unlikely that I will ever buy another Mac product. If I ever did decide to use OS X again, I would not run it on a Mac, I would buy a PC to install it on.There's simply no reason to pay the massive price for their hardware, just to get a different OS with no significant functional differences.And if you think that you're safe from viruses and worms, I would suggest that in the next few years, that will not be true. Not that I actually have any problems with them on Windows, and frankly taking steps to prevent infection are just not hard.

Well seeing as the "wait a couple years and you'll see" attitude about macs and viruses has been going on for years, I'll just wait until it actually is a problem, not just a bogeyman. And I'd also say having some of the highest ranked customer support is pretty nice. If my display craps out I don't need to go get a new computer, I dont even need to go buy a new display, my applecare takes care of it. Yeah you have to pay for it, but it pays for itself right away if you ever need anything replaced. And yes....theres a reason to run it on their hardware, you missed the point entirely if you don't think so. Apple has hardware control from step one, and writes their software accordingly. They know what hardware you will have, what its specs are, what could cause problems, etc. With windows, or running mac on different hardware, there are an infinite number of combinations of hardware you could use, and thus the OS isn't optimized for those.

Yeah, I totally understand the importance of choice, and it would be simply stupid if you couldn't build your own PC, but theres a reason for their hardware, it's not just because they can.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frozen Balls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2009 at 6:32pm
My motherboard died freshman year of college. I received the box Friday, sent it out Saturday, and had a functioning computer back Tuesday afternoon, at no cost.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2009 at 8:24pm
Always good to hear, good for whichever company it was, nice to see people not being hurtbags.
And since I already have a windows 7 thread going, does anyone know if I can play music in windows 7 from my library in os x? I can read files from os x, and I changed my media player library to the folder I want, but nothing will show up
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2009 at 12:34am
If you're using MacDrive or a similar program, you should just be able to play directly from the folder. 
BU Engineering 2012
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2009 at 3:15am

If you're using MacDrive or a similar program, you should just be able to play directly from the folder.

I agree, thats what I thought. That is a really nice part of win7 so far, you can read your mac partition without macdrive, so I thought it should work no problem. But still, I added my library as normal, but no songs showed up
jerseypaint View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerseypaint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2009 at 3:24am
For some reason Windows is a very selfish program, always has been. It basically refuses all other files other than what is located on its OS. Its really the only problem I have with Windows, especially since it refuses to read my Ubuntu partition.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frozen Balls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2009 at 4:17am
Oh hey, I actually have a serious question.

With VM ware fusion,

1) does it work with windows 7
2) is it possible to transfer files between mac/pc partitions in a fluid, not-complex manner?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic