FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Windows 7 Fail

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2009 at 9:49pm
Yeah, OS X only has the option to use the software the computer ships with to do anything. Now that you mention it, that IS a common difference I have certainly heard mentioned elsewhere before, and completely true.
FROG MAN View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1- Language, 11/29/09

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FROG MAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2009 at 11:06pm
and mac users wonder why they have a terrible reputation.
<1 meg sig = bad>
ParielIsBack View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
future target of fratricide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2009 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by choopie911 choopie911 wrote:

Yeah, OS X only has the option to use the software the computer ships with to do anything. Now that you mention it, that IS a common difference I have certainly heard mentioned elsewhere before, and completely true.

:facepalm:

I'm assuming you've used past versions of Windows.  None of them came with a PDF reader.  If you didn't want to pay money for an OS without a PDF reader, then don't.

But don't complain about it when you absolutely should have expected it not to have one.

If you're really going to argue that there are anywhere near as many programs for OS X as for Windows, I will gladly sit back and laugh at you.
BU Engineering 2012
Shub View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I dont have one either. Is that good???

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2009 at 11:40pm
Microsoft Virtual PC. I don't know why it isn't bundled into Win7, since one of Win7 Pro's selling points is the Virtual XP mode built in (which requires that users go download and install MS Virtual PC.

But Virtual PC will allow you to mount isos.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2009 at 11:50pm
So the fact that windows didn't have pdf support in the past is a good reason not to include it now how?
Isn't the point for an os to be better, not just on par?
Shub View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2009 at 12:02am
When Microsoft recently released their free antivirus software, MS Security Essentials, the A/V companies went nuts. Symantec, McAfee and everyone else was crying foul from Microsoft for undermining their business.

I just have the feeling that there was some dirty backroom deal made that keeps Microsoft from embedding a PDF reader into Windows.
Darur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Stare directly into my avatar...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2009 at 12:06am

So the fact that windows didn't have pdf support in the past is a good reason not to include it now how?
Isn't the point for an os to be better, not just on par?

Just out of curiosity, how long has apple offered native PDF support?  I honestly don't know.
Real Men play Tuba

PH33R TEH 1337 Dwarf!
DONT CLICK ME!!1
Rp Fr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
This title is just way too old

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote  Rp Fr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2009 at 12:49am

They also made the control panel for children, which is annoying instead of straight forward.

No gonna lie... as I read this sentence, I couldn't stop thinking about how it seemed to be describing a Mac.
Benjichang View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I pwned Leroy Jenkins!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjichang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2009 at 11:27am
I installed W7 using DaemonTools just fine...
mod98commando View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mod98commando Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2009 at 11:26pm
I won't deny that nearly everybody needs to be able to open PDF's at some point so it would be convenient to have native support. However, who cares? It takes 2 seconds to download acrobat reader and then you're set. Why did MS decide not to support PDF natively? Maybe there's a licensing issue or maybe people would flip out and accuse MS of taking over the PDF market just for making windows capable of reading those file types. I doubt anybody here could actually answer that question.

I could complain about Windows not coming with Firefox or Winamp or Visual Studio, etc. You can pick nearly anything and find a large group of people who could benefit from having it included in the Windows install but that doesn't mean it should be included. Granted PDF support would probably benefit more people than any specific application, it's still such a minor issue. I think the fact that you're complaining about that rather than how it handles core OS duties would indicate success on their part. After all, Windows is supposed to be an OS, not an uber-app that does everything for you.

It's best if MS focuses on making a good OS and lets companies like Adobe focus on making the PDF readers and the same goes for other apps. Those extras just distract them from their main goal of making a solid OS without bloat.
oreomann33: Everybody invades Poland
Rofl_Mao: And everyone eats turkey
Me: But only if they're hungary
Mack: Yeah but hungary people go russian through their food and end up with greece on everyth
Frozen Balls View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1, filter dodge, 1.28.10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frozen Balls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2009 at 12:20am
Originally posted by  Rp Fr Rp Fr wrote:

They also made the control panel for children, which is annoying instead of straight forward.

No gonna lie... as I read this sentence, I couldn't stop thinking about how it seemed to be describing a Mac.

Apple has an extremely easy to use system preferences menu that still manages to avoid looking like it was designed for six year olds.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2009 at 12:33am
I don't see how Windows looks any more like it was designed for children than any interface designed by Apple.
BU Engineering 2012
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2009 at 3:00am
Originally posted by ParielIsBack ParielIsBack wrote:

I don't see how Windows looks any more like it was designed for children than any interface designed by Apple.

And that's why you use windows.

Originally posted by mod98commando mod98commando wrote:

I won't deny that nearly everybody needs to be able to open PDF's at some point so it would be convenient to have native support. However, who cares? It takes 2 seconds to download acrobat reader and then you're set. Why did MS decide not to support PDF natively? Maybe there's a licensing issue or maybe people would flip out and accuse MS of taking over the PDF market just for making windows capable of reading those file types. I doubt anybody here could actually answer that question.

Uh? By adding support to an image viewing program? How would other operating systems do this without the same "licensing issues" of supporting a filetype? Mac uses Preview to open your average picture, but also works for PDF's. It works fine, but if you still want the choice of something else, there still are other options, it just works by default as well.

I could complain about Windows not coming with Firefox or Winamp or Visual Studio, etc. You can pick nearly anything and find a large group of people who could benefit from having it included in the Windows install but that doesn't mean it should be included.

All of those are specific programs, not general support of a common filetype.

Granted PDF support would probably benefit more people than any specific application, it's still such a minor issue. I think the fact that you're complaining about that rather than how it handles core OS duties would indicate success on their part. After all, Windows is supposed to be an OS, not an uber-app that does everything for you.It's best if MS focuses on making a good OS and lets companies like Adobe focus on making the PDF readers and the same goes for other apps. Those extras just distract them from their main goal of making a solid OS without bloat.

Yeah, because windows including file support was what caused them problems in the past. That was why there was bloat, for sure. And I never said windows should be an uber app, I just think it should include basic important functionality and support that nearly all users will need, and could be easily included. As previously stated you can still get a better one (firefox instead of IE is a current example)

All that aside, I'm REALLY annoyed by the fact that I almost always have to restart after an install, even of a really small simple application like poweriso, etc. I don't get why you need to restart your computer after a minor application install. System/ OS update sure, that makes sense....adding a small application.....come on.
Darur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Stare directly into my avatar...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2009 at 4:04am
Ok, pretty sure choopie is just trolling now
Real Men play Tuba

PH33R TEH 1337 Dwarf!
DONT CLICK ME!!1
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2009 at 9:45am
You know what's funny, Choop?

Currently posting from my Mac.

I use Windows on it because I discovered just how stupid my overpriced Mac was over the course of last year.  OS X isn't any more powerful than Windows, Apple has a nice little price gouge going on, and I can't play the vast majority of games on it.  If I ever have another Unix machine, it'll be running Linux.

All that aside, I'm REALLY annoyed by the fact that I almost always have to restart after an install, even of a really small simple application like poweriso, etc. I don't get why you need to restart your computer after a minor application install. System/ OS update sure, that makes sense....adding a small application.....come on.

OK, Darur has to be right.  You have to be trolling.

Again, if you don't like Windows, don't buy it.  But when you buy an OS you know doesn't have one minor program, and then complain about it, you're just whining.

Edited by ParielIsBack - 25 November 2009 at 9:52am
BU Engineering 2012
Benjichang View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I pwned Leroy Jenkins!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjichang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2009 at 10:15am
Fail thread is fail.
Shub View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2009 at 4:52pm

Uh? By adding support to an image viewing program? How would other operating systems do this without the same "licensing issues" of supporting a filetype? Mac uses Preview to open your average picture, but also works for PDF's. It works fine, but if you still want the choice of something else, there still are other options, it just works by default as well.

Microsoft plays by different rules because they carry nearly 90% of the market share. Mac includes Safari and itunes into OS X and that is called good bundled features.   Windows includes Internet Explorer and Media Player, and the EU calls it Antitrust.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2009 at 4:57pm
"The complaint centered on the license practices at the time which required royalties from each computer sold by a supplier of Microsoft's operating system, whether or not the unit actually contained the Windows operating system. Microsoft reached a settlement in 1994, ending some of its license practices"

And as I recall the IE issue was with a microsoft monopoly?
I could be wrong, as it's been AGES since I heard/ thought about those cases, so I wouldnt be too surprised if I'm off on something.
God View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Pull My Finger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2009 at 4:59pm
 I  fail to see why people complain how an OS is crap or a failure based on one or two minor and easily fixed issues.

Its the same as a child whinnying about the 100 dollar bill their parents give them because a corner is bent.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2009 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by God God wrote:

I fail to see why people complain how an OS is crap or a failure based on one or two minor and easily fixed issues.
Its the same as a childwhinnyingabout the 100 dollar bill their parents give them because a corner is bent.

Not really, it's expecting certain features to be common sense and working by this day and age, and thinking it's laughable that they still don't.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic