Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAnother driving pet peeve......

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another driving pet peeve......
    Posted: 22 November 2009 at 8:14pm
For those of you keeping track, I think this is #37.

I absolutely HATE those SOB's who will come up behind me while I'm in the left lane and flash their lights at me to get me to move. It earns them

First of all, I'm not ever the slowpoke riding the left lane at 50. I'm either at or above speed. I generally hover between 65 and 75 on posted 65 highways.

Secondly, I'm only in the left lane if I'm passing, or getting ready to pass someone.

I've noticed this happens mostly when I'm in the midst of passing, and I happen to not be doing it quick enough for the moron who's coming up behind me. If you flash your lights, I WILL slow down, and I WILL take 8 miles to pass the guy that I was about to go by before you started being a jerk.

Tonight was a classic example. I'd passed a truck that was in the right lane, and was closing on a Suburban that was still in the left lane getting ready to pass the car that was in front of the truck I'd just passed. Up comes this minivan behind me at about 85 and the lights start flashing. That's normally enough to piss me off, but add to the fact that I've got a sleeping 7 month old baby in the back seat of a toyota corolla- and you've got high beams flashing him in the face now. Where the hell was I supposed to go? I stayed in the left lane because I wasn't going to get stuck directly in front of the truck I'd just passed. As soon as she could, this moron in the van slams into the left lane and pulls up next to me screaming obscenities at my closed passenger window....Little did she realize that she WASNT the only person on the road, and now she's caught behind the very guy I was trying to pass.

Unless you're in an emergency vehicle, nothing you're doing can be important enough for you to be enough of a D-bag to flash your lights at me. You are NOT important, and I will not move from a perfectly legitimate traffic position to suit your ass.

Eville View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 5/19, Filter-dodge

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2009 at 8:19pm
If you are passing the guy and only going 1 or 2mph faster than him, that doesn't count. 

Also, I heard or read this recently.  Ever notice how if someone is going slower than you they are a slowpoke jerk* and if they are going faster than you they are a crazy lunatic*?

*Obviously not the word choice when I am on the road.
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2009 at 8:24pm
Originally posted by Eville Eville wrote:

If you are passing the guy and only going 1 or 2mph faster than him, that doesn't count. 

Who does that at all? If I'm passing someone, I try to do it as quickly as possible without going stupid fast. Even if I am going 1 or 2 miles faster than him, you flicking your damn lights at me sure as hell isn't going to make me go faster.

Eville View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2009 at 8:30pm
if you are in the left lane, going 1-2 faster than the guy to the right, and you refuse to speed up or move over for the guy going way faster than you, then you are one of the biggest dbags on the road.  You are not a cop, you are not there to enforce traffic laws.
slackerr26 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Strike 2 - language, 8/20

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2009 at 8:34pm
^truth. the left lane is the 10mph+ over the speed limit zone
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2009 at 8:37pm

if you are in the left lane, going 1-2 faster than the guy to the right, and you refuse to speed up or move over for the guy going way faster than you, then you are one of the biggest dbags on the road.  You are not a cop, you are not there to enforce traffic laws.

So, if I'm driving along in the right lane with my cruise control set at 70, and catch up to a guy that's going only slightly slower than that (physics dictates that I WILL catch him eventually)- then I swing into the left lane to pass him, and some moron comes up behind me at 80-85, then I should speed up, potentially risking a speeding ticket- just so he can get by faster? I'm already technically speeding, but I should push the envelope for anyone who feels like getting on my rear bumper? I think not sonny boy.

Generally, I do speed up if I'm caught in front of someone- but as soon as you demonstrate that you've got no patience and start flicking your lights, I will not only NOT speed up, but it'll take me that much longer to pass the guy in the first place.

I don't go out of my way to be a jerk on the road....all of my jerk-like tendencies are reactionary.

Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2009 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by slackerr26 slackerr26 wrote:

Spoken like someone who will eventually need the jaws of life to pry them from a highly customized piece of scrap metal that used to be a car.

impulse!! View Drop Down

Racist Comment

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2009 at 8:52pm

Also, I heard or read this recently.  Ever notice how if someone is going slower than you they are a slowpoke jerk* and if they are going faster than you they are a crazy lunatic*?

RIP George Carlin
jmac3 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Official Box Hoister

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2009 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by Reb Cpl Reb Cpl wrote:

Originally posted by slackerr26 slackerr26 wrote:

Spoken like someone who will eventually need the jaws of life to pry them from a highly customized piece of scrap metal that used to be a car.

Except he is correct. If you are in the left lane and not doing at least 75(65 limit) you are going to slow.

I will agree with you on the flashing lights. Sometimes I will be driving 80-85 and some idiot flashes me. They are now going 70. They are not passing me on the right, because I have no issue speeding back up to my original speed to not allow it.

You shouldn't be in the left lane with a 7 month old baby in the car. Also, is this a 3 lane highway? A 2 lane and you may have a point on the passing slow thing.
Que pasa?

ParielIsBack View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
future target of fratricide

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2009 at 8:58pm
Really, Jmac?

There's not some sort of law that you must be doing 10 miles per hour over the speed limit to be in the left lane.

It's the passing lane.  If you're not passing, get out.  You should be passing at a reasonable pace, not just sitting there, yes, and frankly I couldn't care less if someone comes up behind me flashing their lights, I'll drive however I was driving.

If you're going to say he shouldn't be in the left lane with a 7-month old in the car, then he just as well shouldn't be on the road.  That logic is a road to idiocy.
BU Engineering 2012
jmac3 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Official Box Hoister

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2009 at 9:05pm
Unwritten rules of the road my friend. Obviously it was a law the speed limit wouldn't be 65 for the whole highway...

No he shouldn't be in the left lane with a 7 month old. Not because of the way he drives, but because of other people. I drive normal(fast but normal) and am appalled by some of the nonsense I see occuring.

If I had a baby in the car I would never leave the right lane.
Que pasa?

__sneaky__ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Voted 2010 Most Improved Forumer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2009 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by ParielIsBack ParielIsBack wrote:

Really, Jmac?

There's not some sort of law that you must be doing 10 miles per hour over the speed limit to be in the left lane.

It's the passing lane.  If you're not passing, get out.  You should be passing at a reasonable pace, not just sitting there, yes, and frankly I couldn't care less if someone comes up behind me flashing their lights, I'll drive however I was driving.

If you're going to say he shouldn't be in the left lane with a 7-month old in the car, then he just as well shouldn't be on the road.  That logic is a road to idiocy.
This.
"I AM a crossdresser." -Reb Cpl

Forum Vice President
RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2009 at 9:08pm
Come to Texas. We have the nicest drivers on the road. I have never had people flash their lights at me in the left lane and I set cruise control at 5 above.

SandMan:"oh yeah, sporx is totally hot"
jmac3 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Official Box Hoister

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2009 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by RoboCop RoboCop wrote:

Come to Texas. We have the nicest drivers on the road. I have never had people flash their lights at me in the left lane and I set cruise control at 5 above.

I was in Texas for one week. I was in the Austin/Ft. Hood area. This made me agree with this statement. Seriously I was shocked by how courteous drivers seemed just on every road.
Que pasa?

Eville View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2009 at 9:22pm

So, if I'm driving along in the right lane with my cruise control set at 70, and catch up to a guy that's going only slightly slower than that (physics dictates that I WILL catch him eventually)- then I swing into the left lane to pass him, and some moron comes up behind me at 80-85, then I should speed up, potentially risking a speeding ticket- just so he can get by faster? I'm already technically speeding, but I should push the envelope for anyone who feels like getting on my rear bumper? I think not sonny boy.

No, I do not expect you to speed up to an unsafe speed, I expect you to watch your mirrors before you move over to pass, or slow down and move right to let the faster driver pass.  If someone is going 15mph faster than you in the lane to your left, and you move left to pass the guy in front of you, chances are you cut off the person behind you in the first place and I can understand why he would bright you.  sonny boy.
impulse!! View Drop Down

Racist Comment

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2009 at 9:26pm
Originally posted by RoboCop RoboCop wrote:

You guys don't do the texas wave anymore?
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2009 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by jmac3 jmac3 wrote:

Unwritten rules of the road my friend. Obviously it was a law the speed limit wouldn't be 65 for the whole highway...

No he shouldn't be in the left lane with a 7 month old. Not because of the way he drives, but because of other people. I drive normal(fast but normal) and am appalled by some of the nonsense I see occuring.

If I had a baby in the car I would never leave the right lane.

So....essentially, I'm not only wrong, I'm also a bad parent because I'm not a paranoid driver. Thank you jmac.

Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2009 at 9:37pm

If someone is going 15mph faster than you in the lane to your left, and you move left to pass the guy in front of you, chances are you cut off the person behind you in the first place and I can understand why he would bright you. 

You assume that every time someone comes up behind me too fast that I cut them off?

Ugh.

No.

Just because someone comes up behind me faster than they should be driving doesn't mean that I cut them off in traffic....especially if I'm doing 70- that means he's doing 85.

Edited by Reb Cpl - 22 November 2009 at 9:40pm

Eville View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2009 at 9:42pm

If someone is going 15mph faster than you in the lane to your left, and you move left to pass the guy in front of you, chances are you cut off the person behind you in the first place and I can understand why he would bright you. 

You assume that every time someone comes up behind me too fast that I cut them off?

Ugh.

No.

Just because someone comes up behind me faster than they should be driving doesn't mean that I cut them off in traffic....especially if I'm doing 70- that means he's doing 85.

Yes, because "chances are" = "everytime".  chill out.
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2009 at 9:45pm
You're the one that made it sound like it happens more times than it doesn't.

Choose your words more carefully then.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic