Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAnother driving pet peeve......

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Flurry View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2009 at 6:29am
The fog light thing happens everywhere.  it's a pain in the .....
It sucks being antisocial alone.
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2009 at 6:53am
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

Reb, are you living down around Middletown now? Or still up there in the boonies where the only thing worth mentioning is the Pepsi Arena?

Middletown is right down where my wife used to live in Harriman.

No, right now we're up in the 'boonies' much, much closer to the pepsi arena than we were last year.

ammolord View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2009 at 7:46am
Originally posted by The Guy The Guy wrote:

Originally posted by Frozen Balls Frozen Balls wrote:

Originally posted by The Guy The Guy wrote:

Over in New York, do you get Dbags that drive SUV's with their headlights off, and their foglights on instead?

When I actually have my jeep, I leave my fog lights on all the time, and have the main lights set to auto.

I'm talking about people that drive around at night, with only their fog lights on.

You could never live in minot if that bothers you.
PSN Tag: AmmoLord
XBL: xXAmmoLordXx

~Minister of Tinkering With Things That Go "BOOM!"(AKA Minister of Munitions)~
reifidom View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Zatoichi

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2009 at 11:01am
I can't for the life of me remember the city, but it made the news a couple of years ago for hiring garbage trucks to drive around at the speed limit to keep traffic going at that speed.

Anyhow, going as fast as, or a few miles an hour faster than traffic is fine, and generally pretty safe. Going much faster, ten to fifteen miles an hour faster, is asking for trouble. It's reckless and not only are you risking your own life, but those around you as well.

It's irresponsible to say that they should get out of your way because you "need" to go faster. You don't need to, and just because you want to does not give you the right to endanger others. Everybody seems to think they're a good driver, but every little bit you speed up allows a little bit less of a margin for error.

I like to stay away from statements like this, but I'm going to say it anyway. If you're younger, you'll just have to trust the older folks here that you don't know what you're talking about when it comes to risk assessment. It's nothing personal. It's just a matter of practical experience, and it varies by the person and etc. etc...

Unofficial rules and personal justification of behavior do not a traffic law make. It's pretty safe to guess that most people break the strict letter of the law at some point in their driving life, and it's just self-entitlement to think that any of us are right for doing so in most cases, emergencies excepted.

oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2009 at 11:14am
The problem is, there are too many Dbags cruising along in the left hand lane going the speed limit or 5 miles above, that when you come up on someone that is truly passing, it's hard to distinguish. Can't count the number of times I have come up on someone, usually a young girl driving alone and talking on the phone, who is going 66miles an hour and no more, with no one in the right lane and not a clue in the world. Left lane is for passing and/or faster traffic.
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2009 at 11:29am
Originally posted by slackerr26 slackerr26 wrote:

i dont know a single person who has gotten a ticket for anything less than 10 over
Then you haven't met any anal-retentive cops short on time to fill their ticket quota yet...
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2009 at 11:32am
Originally posted by Reb Cpl Reb Cpl wrote:

Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

Reb, are you living down around Middletown now? Or still up there in the boonies where the only thing worth mentioning is the Pepsi Arena?
Middletown is right down where my wife used to live in Harriman. No, right now we're up in the 'boonies' much, much closer to the pepsi arena than we were last year.

Well, that explains it. You need to move someplace nice. Like Rhinebeck or Kingstown and you'll be fine!
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
slackerr26 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Strike 2 - language, 8/20

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2009 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by StormyKnight StormyKnight wrote:

Originally posted by slackerr26 slackerr26 wrote:

i dont know a single person who has gotten a ticket for anything less than 10 over
Then you haven't met any anal-retentive cops short on time to fill their ticket quota yet...

oh believe me. you'd be suprised at some of things the cops do in the town where my high school is. kid got a ticket for his car being too dirty, i kid you not
ammolord View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2009 at 5:42pm
So, today I got another new peeve. People who back out onto main roads without looking.

Lets just say that if i hadnt had room on my left, id have a nice huge gash out of the side of my tiburon from an F-350.
PSN Tag: AmmoLord
XBL: xXAmmoLordXx

~Minister of Tinkering With Things That Go "BOOM!"(AKA Minister of Munitions)~
Ben Grimm View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2009 at 6:09pm
I personally think cruise control should be illegal.  It encourages inattentive driving, and leads to people not adapting their speed to traffic because they don't want to travel at any speed other than their set speed.
It's Clobberin' Time!
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2009 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by jmac3 jmac3 wrote:

You shouldn't be in the left lane with a 7 month old baby in the car. Also, is this a 3 lane highway? A 2 lane and you may have a point on the passing slow thing.

I was reading this thread to my wife......she remembered you from your "hunting is useless" gem, and after this...

She's not a fan.

Ben Grimm View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2009 at 6:20pm

No he shouldn't be in the left lane with a 7 month old. Not because of the way he drives, but because of other people. I drive normal(fast but normal) and am appalled by some of the nonsense I see occuring.

Really?  I live in the left lane, and I think that is often the safest lane on the road.  The middle lane is full of zombies, and the right lane is full of scaredy-cats who are likely to stomp on the brakes randomly - and you also have to deal with people who have no concept of how to merge.

It's Clobberin' Time!
jmac3 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Official Box Hoister

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2009 at 6:22pm

You shouldn't be in the left lane with a 7 month old baby in the car. Also, is this a 3 lane highway? A 2 lane and you may have a point on the passing slow thing.

I was reading this thread to my wife......she remembered you from your "hunting is useless" gem, and after this...

She's not a fan.

Like I care what your wife thinks of me?

Hunting is useless.

Also, what gem? I am sorry I think the left lane is dangerous and wouldn't drive there with a child. People are nuts on the highway. Hell if I had a kid I would avoid highway at all costs. Way too many close calls(not from my driving either)

Ben, you're probably right though. Maybe it is the safest. I would think the middle lane is. Definitely not the right lane.

Edited by jmac3 - 23 November 2009 at 6:23pm
Que pasa?

Ben Grimm View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2009 at 6:30pm
Almost by definition, any middle lane has to be more dangerous - simply because you have to deal with traffic on both sides.  You are surrounded by morons.  In the left lane, all the morons are to your right where you can keep an eye on them.
It's Clobberin' Time!
jmac3 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Official Box Hoister

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2009 at 6:33pm
Yeah but people ride you and cut you off way more in the left.

Hmm, maybe just the whole highway is pretty dangerous.
Que pasa?

Tolgak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Master of MSPaint and bri's Daddy

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2009 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by Ben Grimm Ben Grimm wrote:

Really?  I live in the left lane, and I think that is often the safest lane on the road.  The middle lane is full of zombies, and the right lane is full of scaredy-cats who are likely to stomp on the brakes randomly - and you also have to deal with people who have no concept of how to merge.

Not sure if I've used this word before, so I'll give it a shot and call it my first.

This.

My time in the left lane, at the speed of "slightly faster than the guys in the middle lane," has been the least risky driving I've ever done. The right lane is full of unpredictability. You've got the people entering the highway, people cutting across from your left to get off the highway, and the slow and/or brake-happy and/or heavily loaded vehicle with loose cargo ahead of and behind you. I'm probably missing a few common people here, but it should suffice.

The middle lane, people just drive. And it's usually just great, until they forget about you and come charging up your rear end because they hit the gas and aren't paying attention. This is also the lane designated for trucks, and if you get stuck behind a weaving truck... well... I can't imagine many places more dangerous than that.

The left is great because the only other people in it are the speeding assholes like you, and some of the braver souls from the right lane who wish to venture into new territory. Even when the superspeeders come up behind you and tailgate, you know you're a few seconds away from a passing opportunity for them. When you get stuck behind a slow guy, it kind of sucks at first. Then you get to pass them and realize, those tailgating pricks, because  they're so much in a rush, will miss passing opportunities in their anger. You will have a nice empty lane in both directions for a short while.

Going back to the middle-lane zombies: I go slightly faster than them so that they don't forget about me. I have been stuck a few times at the same speed as a middle-laner, and without fail, that person will always drift over into my lane or worse, try to pass the guy in front of him while I'm right beside him. Go slightly slower, and they'll get brave if they want to switch into the left lane, making for some close calls. It also keeps the speeding assholes from becoming a big deal if you go slightly faster. They get some perspective: "Hey, at least this guy kind of has the right idea."

The thing that really gets me is when those tailgaters are driving the same types of cars that unmarked cops drive. I have had real unmarked cars tempt me to speed up before going around me (after which I see gov't plates or "police interceptor" on the bumper), so I'm taking no risks if you come up behind me in a crown vic and start flashing lights. You aren't even getting a lane change from me until it's perfectly clear in the adjacent lane.
Uncle Rudder View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Strike 1 6/25

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2009 at 6:47pm
I hate it when I'm in the left hand lane, doing about 10 over the limit, and some moron comes up behind me doing at least 100 because I don't even see them coming, and instead of just going into the empty right hand lane next to me.  They slam on the break, flash their lights and beep their horn at me. 

If you're in such a rush why didn't you just go around me instead of slowing down and acting like a tool until I get over and then you take off like speed-racer again?
Ben Grimm View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2009 at 6:58pm

Who is cutting me off in the left lane?  There usually isn't a lot of traffic in and out of the left lane - that's part of the joy.

And as for tailgaters - easy fix:  be the fastest car on the road.  And if somebody faster does come along, I see them coming and pull over to let them pass before they even get to me.  With good planning, you shouldn't hardly have to change your speed.

It's Clobberin' Time!
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2009 at 7:00pm

She's not a fan.

Like I care what your wife thinks of me?
Just thought I'd throw it out there.

Hunting is useless.
Still digging after hitting the bottom? Commendable, if sad.

Also, what gem? I am sorry I think the left lane is dangerous and wouldn't drive there with a child. People are nuts on the highway. Hell if I had a kid I would avoid highway at all costs. Way too many close calls(not from my driving either)

Way too many close calls? I've seen more close calls on back roads thanks to slow traffic and the deer that should have been hunted than I have on the highways. Should I not travel at all?

Ben, you're probably right though. Maybe it is the safest. I would think the middle lane is. Definitely not the right lane.

jmac3 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Official Box Hoister

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2009 at 7:05pm
Originally posted by Ben Grimm Ben Grimm wrote:

Who is cutting me off in the left lane?  There usually isn't a lot of traffic in and out of the left lane - that's part of the joy.

Who is cutting you off in the left lane? How about the idiots doing the rice weave? They pull into the middle lane like a normal individual. They then see they won't be able to pass me easily so they speed up and damn near hit me getting in front of me. Cutting into the little space between me and the car in front of them/me

And as for tailgaters - easy fix:  be the fastest car on the road.  And if somebody faster does come along, I see them coming and pull over to let them pass before they even get to me.  With good planning, you shouldn't hardly have to change your speed.

I drive fast. Doesn't stop people from riding me hard.

Que pasa?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic