FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Worst week ever.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Tolgak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Master of MSPaint and bri's Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tolgak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Worst week ever.
    Posted: 22 November 2009 at 6:50pm
It all started Wednesday, just before noon.

Got a call from the USMC Officer Selection Office. To summarize:

Hey, we did a background check on you. Everything looks great, you just need to meet the OSO and we can get you on the road to PLC.

Just kidding. Here's how it really went:

Hey, we did a background check on you. Everything looks great, except you were prescribed Prozac back in high school. You're disqualified until you can find the doctor who prescribed it and get him to write a letter detailing the situation. Put that in a waiver request form and send it to the higher-ups, but it's highly unlikely that they'll accept it because it's only 5 years ago.

Yes, in the course of a minute, my dream has been shattered. Unless that waiver goes through, I'm ineligible for any of the types of flying I'd ever hoped to have a career doing. Heck, I wouldn't have minded being a ground officer either, but that's out the window too. The psychiatrist is impossible to find, as both my parents are currently out of the country, in different countries, with no access to the records we have.

I go skydiving that afternoon to get my mind off things, and it works.

FWD to Friday. The new stress hits me hard enough to screw up my presentation. 15% points I have no possibility of getting back. Even if I ace my final exam, I'm getting a C. Just when I find out I'll be needing to look into alternate careers that require great grades, I screw up in an easy class.

To get into any of those flying careers? Build up another mountain worth of debt doing related non-flying work, while still flying. It's going to take 5 times as long to build up hours to get into any solid flying job.

Then I got hurt.

Long story short, bruised or broke my tailbone. Don't know yet, hadn't the time to get it checked out. No, it didn't happen from skydiving. Every position I can put myself in brings pain. Can barely sit, lie down, walk, or anything in between. The pool is too cold, so I can't take the weight off. So, on top of this emotional blow, no skydiving, no flying, no paintball, no exercise, no relaxation, no sleep.

But wait, there's more! This is just the perfect time for my ankle to start acting up again... and so, it starts acting up again. It hasn't hurt through all my previous exercise and shenanigans, now it sucks to walk on it. It also sucks to walk with my screwed up tailbone, so it sucks to go anywhere.

TL;DR. Dreams crushed, injured in such a way that I can't do anything about it at the moment.
merc View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
American Scotchy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2009 at 7:13pm
dude, prozac isent a big deal, they should let you in anyways...

trust me, i had much worse stuff on my record and they let me weld/cut on nuclear subs...

stressed out and got a C in one class... retake the class if you need to... but it reminds me of something a buddy of mine once said

"what do they call the person who graduates med school at the bottom of his class?... doctor... GPA is less important than the degree..."

edit: tail bones suck, i broke mine on a camping trip one time, standing dident hurt to bad and laying on my stumic was good, try them, maybe put a pillow under your hips and lay on your stumic.

Edited by merc - 22 November 2009 at 7:14pm
saving the world, one warship at a time.
Eville View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 5/19, Filter-dodge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2009 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by merc merc wrote:

trust me, i had much worse stuff on my record and they let me weld/cut on nuclear subs...

stressed out and got a C in one class... retake the class if you need to... but it reminds me of something a buddy of mine once said

"what do they call the person who graduates med school at the bottom of his class?... doctor... GPA is less important than the degree..."

edit: tail bones suck, i broke mine on a camping trip one time, standing dident hurt to bad and laying on my stumic was good, try them, maybe put a pillow under your hips and lay on your stumic.

Stumic? Really?
ammolord View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ammolord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2009 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by Eville Eville wrote:

Stumic? Really?
PSN Tag: AmmoLord
XBL: xXAmmoLordXx

~Minister of Tinkering With Things That Go "BOOM!"(AKA Minister of Munitions)~
Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2009 at 7:42pm
Its stomach. :P
slackerr26 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Strike 2 - language, 8/20

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slackerr26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2009 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by ammolord ammolord wrote:

Originally posted by Eville Eville wrote:

Stumic? Really?

when i read that, i asked myself what a stumic was
merc View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
American Scotchy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2009 at 8:45pm
im smat enuff to build submarines...
saving the world, one warship at a time.
Tical3.0 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
this space for rent

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tical3.0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2009 at 9:33pm
 I have had a broken moaler(sp?) for the past 5 day and I havent been able to eat.
I ♣ hippies.
slackerr26 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Strike 2 - language, 8/20

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slackerr26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2009 at 9:54pm
im sure you have something to help you out with that tical
Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2009 at 10:03pm

im smat enuff to build submarines...

Lol sounds like a Maine accent.
Tical3.0 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
this space for rent

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tical3.0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2009 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by slackerr26 slackerr26 wrote:

im sure you have something to help you out with that tical
Yes I do. However it will all be over tomorrow at 10:30 when I reach the Dentist anways
I ♣ hippies.
Tical3.0 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
this space for rent

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tical3.0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2009 at 10:58am
Sweet. Just got back from the dentist. Looks like I have to pay $900 and get that damn thing capped.... in two weeks(lol) Looke like no good food for me for a while. Your week>mine
I ♣ hippies.
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2009 at 11:05am
$900 for a cap? Find another dentist.
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2009 at 11:07am
Originally posted by Lenny Lenny wrote:

Dental plan
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
Tical3.0 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
this space for rent

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tical3.0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2009 at 11:28am
Originally posted by oldpbnoob oldpbnoob wrote:

$900 for a cap? Find another dentist.
Yeah. As soon as the dentist said that I laughed in his face.

lol Bri
I ♣ hippies.
Uncle Rudder View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Strike 1 6/25

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uncle Rudder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2009 at 7:00pm
I've had a not-so-fun week starting Wednesday as well.  Everyone is getting thier letters from OSU for interviews (if you get an interview you have a 50/50 shot of getting in), and I have yet to get ANYTHING from them.  Not even a "no sorry try again."  The lack of closure has really wrecked my ability to study for finals, I can't get that stupid letter off my mind.

I then found out that to get any real job with degrees in biology and chemistry you need to have a PhD...without the PhD pretty much all you can do is work for $15/hour.   I can make $18/hour painting houses...3 and half years of tuition for that?  Gotta be pooping me. 

And to top it off - I took a number 2, went to flush it down.  Notta.  Won't flush, won't do anything.  2 mech. engineer majors spent 20 minutes trying to find out what was wrong.  Couldn't figure it out.  So it's brewing in there, in a toilet made in the late 1920's.
Eville View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 5/19, Filter-dodge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2009 at 7:10pm
That is why you do a little research before you declare a major.
nickman98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Et Tu, Nickman?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickman98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2009 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by brihard brihard wrote:

Dental plan
"lisa needs braces"
mod98commando View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mod98commando Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2009 at 12:24am
I thought I was entirely screwed academically last semester but I'm not accepting that as an option. My freshman year was a major setback in that I failed an easy class and my other grades were crummy. Then my laziness forced me to drop 1 out of 5 classes nearly every semester. That nonsense took a steamy poop on my GPA and is causing me to graduate a year late despite taking summer classes. My cumulative GPA is like 2.45 and most companies don't care about anybody with a GPA less than 3. So, I basically have to get a 4.0 this semester and next in order to get anywhere near a 3 (some classes are replacing old crap grades so they have a bigger impact). I think I did the math a while ago and I can actually get just over 3 assuming I ace the crap out of nearly everything. I pulled it off this summer and things are looking very good this semester (expecting all A's and maybe one B) so I'm optimistic now. I also found out that I had enough computer science classes on my transcript to minor in it so I can now pretend that's why I took an extra year LOL

My point here is that no matter how screwed you think you are, just keep pushing yourself and you'll be fine. I really thought I had basically shafted myself because of the GPA but now it seems possible to make a comeback. I'm also going to get a buttload of certifications which will help. I'm basically going from completely screwed to very likely to get a good job (got an interview next wednesday).
oreomann33: Everybody invades Poland
Rofl_Mao: And everyone eats turkey
Me: But only if they're hungary
Mack: Yeah but hungary people go russian through their food and end up with greece on everyth
brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2009 at 7:39am
Originally posted by nickman98 nickman98 wrote:

Originally posted by brihard brihard wrote:

Dental plan
"lisa needs braces"

Dental plan
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic