Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

career paintball

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
pathfinder82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pathfinder82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: career paintball
    Posted: 17 November 2009 at 10:20pm
Hi recently me and my team have been making good progress and have won most of our local matches and i was wondering how can we make a career out of professional paintball?
Who Dares Wins
Skillet42565 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Actuarry its Skirret

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skillet42565 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2009 at 10:23pm
You can't.  Professional paintballers are so high above the local status, and are still dirt poor.
pathfinder82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pathfinder82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2009 at 10:25pm
but ive been seeing all the ones with sponsors making a living off of it
Who Dares Wins
Tolgak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Master of MSPaint and bri's Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tolgak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2009 at 10:26pm
Ha! Hahaha! HAAAAHAAAAHAHAHAAAHAAA!!!

AAAAA-HAHAHAHA HAAAAAAAA!!!!

Sorry to be useless, but pretty much all players on teams either have separate jobs or work for the companies that sponsor the teams they're on. Do what you can to get on better teams, but your income will be meager, if anything at all. Your best bet would be to get a high-level degree that's useful to paintball companies and get into one of them. Play your cards right and they'll have you being a spokesperson or manning booths or doing product testing.
Ben Grimm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben Grimm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2009 at 10:29pm
Hi - I am a professional paintball player.  Don't listen to Skirret and Tolga - they're just bitter because they are totally NOT agg.

It's pretty simple to go pro.  Here's how you do it:

1.  Get a team together.
2.  Buy good markers.
3.  Think of a cool name for your team - nobody will sponsor you if you don't have a cool name.
4.  Make YouTube videos showing how awesome you are, with lots of live play footage.
5.  Think of a celebration dance to diss the teams you crush.
6.  Put the dance on YouTube too.
7.  Friend all the big paintball companies on Myspace.
8.  Email all the big companies links to your awesome YouTube videos, and offer to be their factory team for only $5,000 per tournament (you have to start small - the big money comes later).
9.  Profit.
It's Clobberin' Time!
jmac3 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2009 at 10:30pm
If pros are making a living off paintball it is because they are working for the company who sponsors them.

The famous Ollie Lang is one of those. By no means is he paid to play paintball. He works for Dye and that is why they pay him. He may do clinics, play tournaments, make promotional videos.

Play paintball for fun. Expect to spend a fortune and never get any of it back.

Que pasa?

RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2009 at 10:58pm
Paintball is not a franchise. It's not exactly becoming any bigger in this economy either. Don't expect to actually get paid to play anytime soon. The professionals have day jobs and do not live life in luxury. They just get the nice new gear for free.

SandMan:"oh yeah, sporx is totally hot"
slackerr26 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Strike 2 - language, 8/20

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slackerr26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2009 at 11:04pm
even winning the bigger tournaments nets you only a small profit if any
Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2009 at 11:07pm
lol.
FROG MAN View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1- Language, 11/29/09

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FROG MAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2009 at 11:18pm
dont let these guys discourage you, you are probably young so this sounds devastating to you, but remember when something becomes your job it loses its fun. So embrace the fact that you are unable to paintball as your career and enjoy it as a sport as long as you can.
<1 meg sig = bad>
Gatyr View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Begging for strikes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2009 at 1:38am
Not to subject you to the same douchebaggery as the people above me, I'll tell you what you need to hear:

Paintball won't make you well-off unless you are the very best in the game AND you put your face out there so people recognize you as such. There are people who play x-ball as well as, or better than, Ollie Lang, but he is the highest-profile person on the circuit because he has put himself out there. Of course, putting yourself out there won't help if you aren't one of the best individuals playing the game.

Even if you make it pro, chances are you won't be making a good living. You will likely be living with your teammates, working for a paintball company, and WORKING to get better at paintball. It won't be a hobby you do to unwind, it will be your job. The guys on Dynasty don't play rec-ball in their spare time, they golf and do other things to get away from work. Paintball is MUCH different on the national level, even when you are playing the lower divisions. It's not about fun when you are playing, it's about winning (and hurting the other team [which is actually pretty fun]).

Also, it will be a LONG time before you and your friends go pro together. The fastest that a D3 team has moved from D3 to pro was four years, and that was because they skipped a division after picking up a few local all-stars. vicious will have spent 5 seasons together before playing pro next season, and the rate at which they improved is phenomenal.

Add to that it is going to cost you a bunch of money, even with heavy sponsorship, to play enough to get better as quick as you need. And you won't be able to get a good job that brings in enough money to support your playing paintball AND other things because you will be traveling for almost a week five separate times a year.

But if that's what you want to work for, don't let anything (especially a bunch of paintball-scrubs on the Tippmann forum) stop you from working toward your goal. Doing well on the local level is the right first step. Get those gears turning, put in the work, and do what you want.
Eville View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 5/19, Filter-dodge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2009 at 7:39am
You have my full support.  All I ask in return is 5% of the prize for each event you win.
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2009 at 8:05am

Deja vu...

When I was a kid, everyone told me that I could never turn pro in BMX. They said there was no money in extreme sports, and all the guys had to get real jobs to make ends meet. My teachers said I was wasting my time on my bmx bike...

I didn't quit and kept trying, and one day I turned Pro and got a cool job teaching BMX to other kids at Woodward camp. I made lots of money from the "dying" sport, so much so that I had three cars by the time I was 18. While at Woodward I met lots of other guys who were also at the ceiling of the sport  (other pro riders)(both bmx and skate) at the time, everyone said we couldn't make money from the sport as it was dying (1991).

I looked around and had many discussions with these guys about what it would take to turn the corner. We discussed making the sport into a rider owned sport, as that way others weren't profiting on our labor. We also realized that name recognition was the only way to do this, as once you get name recognition, standings no longer matter.

I ended up focusing on other things, but the guys I had these discussions with didn't, and today they are household names.

Tony Hawk
Mat Hoffmann
These two in my opinion really get it. They started the X-games, and the boom boom huck jam. I knew them before they were famous, and luckily I got to be a cog in the wheel of their success. I am very proud of what they have accomplished, and if they had listened to all the guys that told them it could never be done... Well, they wouldn't be household names today, and worth millions...

Other Pros that were in these discussions, Danny Way (jumped the great wall of China) skate pro, great at personal brand identity.

And my good friend Jon Byers, who started Eastern bikes, one of the largest BMX bike distributors in the world. All from an idea back when we were kids.

So don't listen to the haters, if you are willing to work harder then the next guy, and sacrifice your time, stay away from drugs, and stay focused...

I believe anyone with the skills can make something great. And most skills are achieved by hard work. Not luck.
They tremble at my name...
ctchofday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
1 language strike, 2/28/10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ctchofday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2009 at 9:46am
Originally posted by FreeEnterprise FreeEnterprise wrote:

Deja vu...

When I was a kid, everyone told me that I could never turn pro in BMX. They said there was no money in extreme sports, and all the guys had to get real jobs to make ends meet. My teachers said I was wasting my time on my bmx bike...

I didn't quit and kept trying, and one day I turned Pro and got a cool job teaching BMX to other kids at Woodward camp. I made lots of money from the "dying" sport, so much so that I had three cars by the time I was 18. While at Woodward I met lots of other guys who were also at the ceiling of the sport  (other pro riders)(both bmx and skate) at the time, everyone said we couldn't make money from the sport as it was dying (1991).

I looked around and had many discussions with these guys about what it would take to turn the corner. We discussed making the sport into a rider owned sport, as that way others weren't profiting on our labor. We also realized that name recognition was the only way to do this, as once you get name recognition, standings no longer matter.

I ended up focusing on other things, but the guys I had these discussions with didn't, and today they are household names.

Tony Hawk
Mat Hoffmann
These two in my opinion really get it. They started the X-games, and the boom boom huck jam. I knew them before they were famous, and luckily I got to be a cog in the wheel of their success. I am very proud of what they have accomplished, and if they had listened to all the guys that told them it could never be done... Well, they wouldn't be household names today, and worth millions...

Other Pros that were in these discussions, Danny Way (jumped the great wall of China) skate pro, great at personal brand identity.

And my good friend Jon Byers, who started Eastern bikes, one of the largest BMX bike distributors in the world. All from an idea back when we were kids.

So don't listen to the haters, if you are willing to work harder then the next guy, and sacrifice your time, stay away from drugs, and stay focused...

I believe anyone with the skills can make something great. And most skills are achieved by hard work. Not luck.

what part of there is no professional paintball (as in can never make a living from it) did you not understand?
Xbl:PhantomReign97

'99 Snpr II, d Karni, E-Orracle, 2k4 Spstk, 2k5 Prstk, PMR SE, A5, 98
scotchyscotch View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Currently awaiting brand new strikes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotchyscotch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2009 at 10:16am
I know for  a fact that with the set up that is in place just now you cannot make a living from playing paintball alone. Paintball is about as big as it's going to get so I don't see that changing any time soon.
The Reaper "And yet... His facebook says he "likes" Coons..."
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2009 at 10:20am
Oh, just the part that you know the future...

Lots of people told me and my friends that you can't make a living from xtreme sports. (back when they weren't called xtreme.

Today it is a common word.

BMX/Skate have some of the best and highest paid athletes in the world now. Why can't paintball be similar?

But, I guess you know better.

I am glad that my friend Mat never listened to people like you...

Here is a little video of him.

Lots of guys told him he could never make money with freestyle.

Part of the allure of xtreme sports is that it is outside conventional wisdom. Paintball handled correctly could become huge.
They tremble at my name...
ParielIsBack View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
future target of fratricide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2009 at 11:22am
Yeah, no chance paintball's going truly pro.

In case you hadn't noticed, "pro" paintball been around as long as BMX.
BU Engineering 2012
jmac3 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2009 at 1:01pm
Gatyr, why must you give the kid false hope?

He didn't ask how to be pro, he asked how to make it a career.

FE, paintball will NEVER EVER EVER be as big as BMX. There isn't the excitement in it for non players to go commercial. Take people like me for instance, I don't ride BMX but I love watching it. I love playing the Tony Hawk and Mat Hoffman video games because they're fun.

Tell me a kid who doesn't play paintball is going to want to play an NPPL game? You can do the same thing with any other FPS.

Also with it on TV. 99% of nonplayers will have no idea what is going. That 1% is family members of players who have been around enough to understand.

Not to mention the actual cost of playing paintball(before any pay to play is even thought of). Giving a team of 8-10 guys guns, gear, and paint for free every single weekend is ALOT of money. What do skaters and bikers need? A bike and some shoes and a helmet. They can then go skate the streets to practice.
Que pasa?

Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2009 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by jmac3 jmac3 wrote:

I love playing the Tony Hawk and Mat Hoffman video games because they're fun.

Tell me a kid who doesn't play paintball is going to want to play an NPPL game? You can do the same thing with any other FPS.

Additional point related to the above:  Most paintball video games suck.
stick_boy_2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Not 1 language strike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stick_boy_2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2009 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by Mack Mack wrote:

Originally posted by jmac3 jmac3 wrote:

I love playing the Tony Hawk and Mat Hoffman video games because they're fun.Tell me a kid who doesn't play paintball is going to want to play an NPPL game? You can do the same thing with any other FPS.
Additional point related to the above: Most paintball video games suck.

ill second that.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic