Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Motorola Droid

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Motorola Droid
    Posted: 10 November 2009 at 3:46pm
Picked one up Friday morning last week but haven't had much time to fiddle with it.  This is my first 'smart phone' and haven't much experience with them.  My brother has the G1 Android phone from T-Mobile and seems to like it, so I decided to do the same.  I'm a Verizon convert thanks to them acquiring Alltel and I didn't feel like moving to AT&T to get the iPhone.  A few of my friends have iPhones and I have to admit they are pretty slick devices.  But they all had the chief complaint of having AT&T as a carrier.  We don't live in a great Metropolitan area, so they don't get much, if any of a 3G signal.  It just so happens that Verizon's 3G network covers a lot of area.  When I heard Verizon was going to offer a line of smartphones based on the Android OS, that cemented the deal.

For a couple of weeks I read up as much as I could on the Droid phone.  It features v2.0 of the Android OS and is bundled with a Google Maps GPS turn-by-turn software bundle for free.  It is a beta version, but it works rather well for a cell-based interactive direction-giver-thingy.  The phone itself is pretty neat.  Screen is a little bigger than the iPhones with a higher display resolution to boot.  It's only slightly thicker than an iPhone even with a slide-out keyboard.  Now the keyboard isn't that great.  Isn't as nice as the G1's.  Chicklet style with no dedicated numeric keys.  Anyone with hands/fingers larger than a 3rd-grader (myself included) will curse the Motorola engineers that designed the keyboard.  The touchscreen keyboard works pretty nicely and is very sensitive even with the display protector film installed.  While using the phone for it's intended purpose (y'know - actually talking to people) the sound was nice, not tinny or cheap but full with good volume.  I've been able to synch with my main email server (a mistake at first since I hadn't emptied my inbox) and managed to get 3100+ old emails delivered.  This brought up another little nit-picky flaw.  I couldn't mass-delete those emails.  I was going to have to zap them one by one to get rid of them.  I ended up having to restart from scratch to dump them all.  I'm going to feel really stupid if I find out how to do it later.

The phone is pretty hefty around 6 oz or so which makes it seem pretty solid.  It has a 5 megapixel camera with a dual led flash.  Never been a fan of phones with cameras in them, but this works reasonably well.  The bundled web browser (a version of Chrome I'd assume) works well.  The browsing experience using a touchscreen takes some getting used to, but very nice.  Far superior to the crap-browser I had on my LG Glimmer phone.  I hear a version of Firefox may become available for Android phones.  I'm looking forward to that.  Youtube vids load up fast and the display/play was very cool. 

As I said before, I haven't had that much time to fiddle with this thing.  It is a neat phone and I see a lot of potential.  I personally wouldn't classifiy it as an iPhone killer, but it might lure people away from Palm, Windows Mobile and Blackberry.  Having a great 3G network also helps.

Hope you enjoyed this haphazard review.  Now back to your regularly schedule program...
ParielIsBack View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
future target of fratricide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2009 at 3:52pm
I may go Droid when I get my next new phone. Granted, that'll be at the start of my senior year, but two years behind the curve is just about right, in my book.
BU Engineering 2012
jerseypaint View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerseypaint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2009 at 4:07pm
I've never had anything close to a smart phone yet.

I don't even think I get picture messages...
Benjichang View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I pwned Leroy Jenkins!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjichang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2009 at 4:44pm
I read this as Motorola Druid. I need to stop playing WoW.
reifidom View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Zatoichi

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reifidom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2009 at 5:02pm
I just went and talked to Verizon to see about switching from Sprint because of coverage issues where I'm currently situated. There aren't roaming charges to deal with, so it's not that, but it's a drain on the battery looking for Sprint all day and night. (New Blackberry software lost the Roaming Only feature.)

My sister is a Sprint employee and I'm spoiled by that. For myself, my wife, and my mother-in-law to consolidate onto Verizon on one plan and use our Blackberries would be $105/phone/month thanks to the required data plan. The plan that is in their booklet as "Included data" does not apply to smartphones, so what the hell good is it? For Blackberries you pay at least $30/month for it on top of the phone plan.

On Sprint, I pay $90/month for three Blackberries, with data, unlimited text, blah, blah...

I laughed at the Verizon employee and left the store. I stood outside and called my wife to tell her what they wanted for similar service and laughed some more. Then I watched somebody else walk into the Verizon store and laughed a bit more as I got into the car and drove away a suddenly more satisfied Sprint customer.

I'm going to get the Blackberry Tour I think. The Tour 2 is coming out soon (could be a month, could be several) and it has a trackpad instead of a trackball, and it has WiFi. Not sure I want to wait for those two features.
Edited for clarity and quality.

Edited by reifidom - 10 November 2009 at 5:04pm

Boss_DJ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
hey bud, let’s party!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss_DJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2009 at 5:45pm
i dont think i ever could leave blackberry...all those fancy apps seem sweet though

jmac3 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2009 at 5:49pm
Reif is your math coming out to $300 a month?

I currently have a 3 phone plan with unlimited text messaging, 2100(maybe 1400 if we changed) minutes, and the call 10 people for free thing for $115 a month.

That is on Verizon. With 3 data plans it would be $205 a month.
Que pasa?

reifidom View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Zatoichi

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reifidom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2009 at 6:07pm
The guy at the store worked it out for us to have three Blackberries, 1400 minutes/month, unlimited text and data, for $246/month. My previous math was for two phones, my fault. The third phone lowers the per-phone average, but the $246 is total per month.

Still, it'd be hard to afford more than I'm paying now, so more than doubling it to continue paying for all three of us is right out. My current plan is $30/phone per month I believe.

jmac3 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2009 at 6:15pm
I wasn't trying to sway you. Was just saying that your number sounded quite high when I have the same thing pretty much.
Que pasa?

Enos Shenk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
~-o@

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enos Shenk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2009 at 6:28pm
I would never EVER have another verizon phone. And you could shoot me before I would buy a smartphone from them.

Verizon nickel and dimes you for every single thing. On the phone I had with them, even though it uses a USB connection to charge, you cant hook it up to the computer, thats locked out. Because Verizon expects you to pay to get pictures on/off the phone, rings music ANYTHING they want you to pay to even transfer it to the bloody phone.

Want to use a bluetooth thingy? Nope, not with a verizon phone, they lock them all out except for the overpriced "official" verizon product.

I wouldnt be suprised to see verizon charging you a service fee to use the GPS built in the phone. And a service fee to use google maps. And a service fee to hook it up to your computer so those ev1L h4x0rz cant write their own apps for android.
jmac3 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2009 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by Enos Shenk Enos Shenk wrote:

Verizon nickel and dimes you for every single thing. On the phone I had with them, even though it uses a USB connection to charge, you cant hook it up to the computer, thats locked out. Because Verizon expects you to pay to get pictures on/off the phone, rings music ANYTHING they want you to pay to even transfer it to the bloody phone.

Email my brother.

Well for ringtones and pictures at least.

Music they are pretty jewish with.
Que pasa?

Enos Shenk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
~-o@

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enos Shenk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2009 at 6:52pm
You have to pay for text messaging service to even recieve that on your phone. So my point stands.
jmac3 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2009 at 7:01pm

You have to pay for text messaging service to even recieve that on your phone. So my point stands.

You get free texts. I forget how many though.

I don't even know why I am defending Verizon. I don't even like it.
Que pasa?

Boss_DJ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
hey bud, let’s party!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss_DJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2009 at 8:00pm

I would never EVER have another verizon phone. And you could shoot me before I would buy a smartphone from them.

Want to use a bluetooth thingy? Nope, not with a verizon phone, they lock them all out except for the overpriced "official" verizon product.

I wouldnt be suprised to see verizon charging you a service fee to use the GPS built in the phone. And a service fee to use google maps. And a service fee to hook it up to your computer so those ev1L h4x0rz cant write their own apps for android.

maybe that applied like 5 years ago...i've never had trouble or been locked out of anything you're talking about even with my old lg dumbphone

ParielIsBack View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
future target of fratricide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2009 at 8:05pm
I think a lot of that applies to the specific phone you had.

For example, I just popped in a miniSD card and got all my photos and ringtones off my phone when I got it this summer.

I'm not a huge Verizon fan, but they work well enough, and I have great service everywhere I need it.  My mom pays $20 per phone per month, and has 5 phones on her family plan.  Pretty good deal, I would say.

*EDIT* This is in response to Enos, by the way.

Also, I'm quite sure that any Bluetooth device works on my phone, as my brother-in-law's random Bluetooth earpiece hooked up just fine.

Edited by ParielIsBack - 10 November 2009 at 8:05pm
BU Engineering 2012
ctchofday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
1 language strike, 2/28/10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ctchofday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2009 at 8:28pm
I have an LG Incite as per at&t. My first smartphone. I had a first and now a second generation one.

The first gen was slow and froze fairly often. One of those freezes was unfixable when the the touchscreen died, which is how i got the second gen.

The second gen is a bit faster, only slows down under major loads. Still a bit quirky. Some things dont always work quite right, but its not so bad, still makes calls, SMS, MMS.

Running Windows Mobile 6.1

Has a Micro SD slot. so its capable of 32GB of storage. which is really nice in many ways. It holds music, which the phone plays in decent quality through the speaker and whatever quality of codec through the headphone output. It also allows for simple data transfer. You can also, with the right software, make your own ringtones from the music on your PC.

3mp camera. pretty nice. set up properly it takes really nice pictures.

3g, WiFi, Bluetooth. it has it all.

Has a nice number of apps. The only really necessary one being the GPS, but you have to pay for. Thankfully I never really need a GPS. 

theres a lot to this little. thing. I know no one asked, but i felt like talking.

overall. I like this phone.

Xbl:PhantomReign97

'99 Snpr II, d Karni, E-Orracle, 2k4 Spstk, 2k5 Prstk, PMR SE, A5, 98
slackerr26 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Strike 2 - language, 8/20

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slackerr26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2009 at 9:18pm

not true. my phone came with a usb cable and it plugs right in, no problems, no extra payments

not true. got a $20 bluetooth earpiece off of ebay and it connected fine wirelessly.

i dunno about the droid gps, but the navigator in my phone is $1 a day whenever you activiate it. you only get charged on days you use it
mbro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Original Forum Gangster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2009 at 10:22pm
/\

With the USB cable, can you transfer files to and from the phone?

The usb he was talking about was a USB dongle, not headset. He wanted to connect his computer to the phone wirelessly to files.

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.
Benjichang View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I pwned Leroy Jenkins!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjichang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2009 at 10:25pm
I love Verizon's coverage, it's the best I've used, and I've used Sprint, AT&T, and Verizon.
I hate Verizon's lack of features and the way they lock down everything.

Verizon = great coverage, less freedom to use you phone the way you want.
slackerr26 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Strike 2 - language, 8/20

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slackerr26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2009 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by mbro mbro wrote:

/\

With the USB cable, can you transfer files to and from the phone?

The usb he was talking about was a USB dongle, not headset. He wanted to connect his computer to the phone wirelessly to files.

yep. can transfer music files onto vcast. i was talking about a usb cable, not a headset.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic