FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I almost hate to do this...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
__sneaky__ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Voted 2010 Most Improved Forumer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I almost hate to do this...
    Posted: 05 November 2009 at 11:12pm
Please try and keep this one civil Ouch

Originally posted by interwebz interwebz wrote:

Secret copyright treaty leaks. It's bad. Very bad.

The internet chapter of the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement, a secret copyright treaty whose text Obama's administration refused to disclose due to "national security" concerns, has leaked. It's bad. It says:
  • * That ISPs have to proactively police copyright on user-contributed material. This means that it will be impossible to run a service like Flickr or YouTube or Blogger, since hiring enough lawyers to ensure that the mountain of material uploaded every second isn't infringing will exceed any hope of profitability.

• * That ISPs have to cut off the Internet access of accused copyright infringers or face liability. This means that your entire family could be denied to the internet -- and hence to civic participation, health information, education, communications, and their means of earning a living -- if one member is accused of copyright infringement, without access to a trial or counsel.

• * That the whole world must adopt US-style "notice-and-takedown" rules that require ISPs to remove any material that is accused -- again, without evidence or trial -- of infringing copyright. This has proved a disaster in the US and other countries, where it provides an easy means of censoring material, just by accusing it of infringing copyright.

• * Mandatory prohibitions on breaking DRM, even if doing so for a lawful purpose (e.g., to make a work available to disabled people; for archival preservation; because you own the copyrighted work that is locked up with DRM

"I AM a crossdresser." -Reb Cpl

Forum Vice President
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2009 at 11:19pm
Why are people so retarded about net neutrality. The internet is one of the most amazing and important things in AGES, and net neutrality is vital to its progression and growth. I'll be crushed the day the internet becomes like a cable package.
Peter Parker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Parker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2009 at 11:36pm
Originally posted by choopie911 choopie911 wrote:

net neutrality

That word.  I do not think it means what you think it means.

"E Pluribus Unum" does not mean "Every man for himself".

Pop Quiz: What do all the Framers of the Constitution have in common?
Frozen Balls View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1, filter dodge, 1.28.10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frozen Balls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2009 at 11:53pm
That's two words, PP. Smile

Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2009 at 11:55pm
Shocked
FarSeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FarSeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2009 at 12:43am
Wow. Just wow.

There's no difference between p2p sharing and giving a CD to my friend to let him copy to his iTunes library.
jmac3 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2009 at 12:48am
Originally posted by FarSeer FarSeer wrote:

Wow. Just wow.

There's no difference between p2p sharing and giving a CD to my friend to let him copy to his iTunes library.

Yeah except p2p sharing is giving it to 1000 friends...
Que pasa?

brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2009 at 12:58am
Originally posted by jmac3 jmac3 wrote:

Originally posted by FarSeer FarSeer wrote:

Wow. Just wow.

Yeah except p2p sharing is giving it to 1000 friends...

That's when you know you win at AIDS.
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
Gatyr View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Begging for strikes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2009 at 1:12am
Seems scary for all of the copyright infringers out there, but is there something in there that is really an egregious wrongdoing? Or is this more of a i-can't-get-the-stuff-illegally-as-easily-as-i-can-now sort of monster?

I think I'll wait until the more legally-inclined on the forum tell me what to think before I think much more about this. :P

Originally posted by Peter Parker Peter Parker wrote:

That word.  I do not think it means what you think it means.

Inherent win when making that reference.

God I love that book/movie.

Edited by Gatyr - 06 November 2009 at 1:14am
Shub View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I donít have one either. Is that good???

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2009 at 1:15am
Wow, this is terrible and way overreaching.

I understand that media creators are concerned about protecting intellectual property. But there are so many things wrong with that treaty. What happened to fair use? Who in the government is stupid enough to let the ISPs (who are often copyright holders) be the police of this, with the power to enforce (read: punish) with no semblance of due process.

It's Draconian and hamfisted. Do we learn nothing from the past? Piracy didn't diminish when the RIAA got lawsuit happy a few years ago.

I'm mostly mad and venting right now...I'd like to hear the whole story, read the source text, not just Doctorow's take on it. But even if any of the bullet points are true, it's just bad. Very bad.
Frozen Balls View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1, filter dodge, 1.28.10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frozen Balls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2009 at 1:29am
Obvious solution is obvious. Gather thousands of internetites and have them accuse everyone of piracy. Over. And over. And over.

ParielIsBack View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
future target of fratricide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2009 at 7:42am
http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/4510/125/

Little more in depth than boingboing.

These limits are going to be virtually unenforcable.  More importantly, they give ISPs far too much power.  If this thing is put into effect, pretty much everyone but the ISPs will be screwed.  Also, I don't think it will affect piracy like they think it will.
BU Engineering 2012
WGP guy2 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I play the Bag Pipes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WGP guy2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2009 at 9:17am
Originally posted by Frozen Balls Frozen Balls wrote:

Obvious solution is obvious. Gather thousands of internetites and have them accuse the government of piracy. Over. And over. And over.

Fixed.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic