Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Major election wins for conservatives...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Frozen Balls View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1, filter dodge, 1.28.10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frozen Balls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2009 at 1:27am
c[_]

ParielIsBack View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
future target of fratricide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2009 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

The party of Lincoln and Reagan is dead. And anyone who disagrees needs to take a good hard look in the mirror. What the US needs now more than ever is a third party that is willing to put common sense ahead of zealotry and toeing the party line.

The weird thing is that this was pretty much recognized before Obama was elected, and people still don't get it.
BU Engineering 2012
__sneaky__ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Voted 2010 Most Improved Forumer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2009 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by ParielIsBack ParielIsBack wrote:

The party of Lincoln and Reagan is dead. And anyone who disagrees needs to take a good hard look in the mirror. What the US needs now more than ever is a third party that is willing to put common sense ahead of zealotry and toeing the party line.

The weird thing is that this was pretty much recognized before Obama was elected, and people still don't get it.
QFT.
"I AM a crossdresser." -Reb Cpl

Forum Vice President
Peter Parker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Parker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2009 at 12:57pm

The NRO? I'm a registered Republican and even I think that the NRO is a bit light in the commonsense/intelligence dept.

That was really my point.  This whole issue seems a bit manufactured to me.  I wouldn't be surprised if Hannity and/or Beck also discussed this "grass-roots rise of true conservatism."  Kind of a talking points bootstrap mechanism.

"E Pluribus Unum" does not mean "Every man for himself".

Pop Quiz: What do all the Framers of the Constitution have in common?
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2009 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by Peter Parker Peter Parker wrote:

The NRO? I'm a registered Republican and even I think that the NRO is a bit light in the commonsense/intelligence dept.

That was really my point.  This whole issue seems a bit manufactured to me.  I wouldn't be surprised if Hannity and/or Beck also discussed this "grass-roots rise of true conservatism."  Kind of a talking points bootstrap mechanism.

If you look at the Virginia election results, and not just the Gubernatorial figures, you'll see that it wasn't some "major victory for 'conservatives'" like the loudmouthed neo-cons are making it out to be. In VA, Fairfax county went Republican in their gubernatorial vote for the first time in 16 years. However it continued to lean to the left in its choices for their delegates for the General Assembly. If grass-roots "conservatives" were really the driving factor behind the republican victory in this state, then Fairfax would have had republican delegates elected to the G.A. as well. The fact of the matter is that the far right doesn't mean diddly-squat when it comes to winning elections, just as the left-wing commies don't mean jack crap either. The guys like myself who sit in the middle and support Roe-v-Wade but also support our second amendment rights and wish for fiscally conservative moves on the part of our government are the ones who BOTH parties should be aiming to sway.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
mbro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Original Forum Gangster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2009 at 11:26pm
Truth.

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2009 at 4:51am
I think what you're seeing with these recent Republican wins has nothing to do with Republicans stepping up to try and counter Obama.  I think it has more to do with the independant voters that were swayed by Obama to vote for him just didn't show up to vote Democrat this time.  Perhaps it was voter's remorse on their part for swinging left to counter the last 8 years of Bush.  Maybe most of them didn't vote at all.  And just maybe they didn't show up because Obama hasn't been as moderate as he said he was going to be and has been leaning hard left instead, alienating those independant voters that helped him win.

I think we'll get a better picture next November for sure.
oldsoldier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Frequent target of infantile obsessives

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2009 at 6:32am
Typical, if a Republican wins, downplay it as a fluke. Yes the independants realize that the joke of 08 was on them, believing that the Dems were the answer. The shine is rapidly coming off the Democtratic Rose, and even the Dems in congress are rethinking career moves. NJ, VA and NY 23rd was a prelim of things to come if the Dem's keep up thier bravo sierra. NY 23rd Scossafava is being 'investigated' for shenanigans abiet resulting in the Dem winning. NJ was a gimme, and just wait till NY in 10, Paterson is circling the bowl as we speak.
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2009 at 7:17am
I remember posting back after the election that the democrats would overreach.

Well, they have...

The sad thing is, this will affect all of you in ways you don't even realize yet. You will personally have way less income to spend on stuff, as you will be paying much higher energy costs, and your health care costs, (I would guess most of you don't even have insurance) will skyrocket.

Not to mention you won't be able to find jobs...

Its sad really, but keep believing the hype.

72 hours to review the final bill... They are still making changes and the vote is tomorrow...

Typical.
They tremble at my name...
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2009 at 7:50am
Originally posted by FreeEnterprise FreeEnterprise wrote:

Well, they have...

The sad thing is, this will affect all of you in ways you don't even realize yet. You will personally have way less income to spend on stuff, as you will be paying much higher energy costs, and your health care costs, (I would guess most of you don't even have insurance) will skyrocket.

72 hours to review the final bill... They are still making changes and the vote is tomorrow...

Typical.

Your opinion =/= facts.

Fact is, the standard of living isn't going to change much.  Stop playing it up so much.
BU Engineering 2012
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2009 at 8:41am

Well, they have...

Typical.

Your opinion =/= facts.

Fact is, the standard of living isn't going to change much.  Stop playing it up so much.

Citation needed...

I am allowed an opinion just like you, and the difference is, I can cite sources for unemployment numbers that will go up today when released, and news stories that show the effect of higher minimum wage and how it has affected the youth. Plus the current bill is still undergoing changes, and the vote is tomorrow...

Which opinions I posted above aren't also facts?... Do we need a poll to see how many of the youth that post on here have insurance now? Because under Obamacare they will be paying for a minimum plan, or a penalty.

That is higher costs... which equals less spending ability in my world.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2009 at 8:43am
Oh, and the unemployment numbers are projected to be similar to the numbers in the 1983 recession... And how did we as a country get out of that one?

Not by raising taxes, and making people MORE dependent on government...

You would think history would teach us to not to make the same mistakes. But, some people never learn.

Just keep spending, just keep spending...
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2009 at 10:03am
I will bet you $5 that over 75% of the "youth" on this board are covered under their parents insurance plans -- that seems to count as having insurance in my book.  Personally, I'm covered by two insurance plans (my parents, and a school student-athlete plan that is required for all varsity athletes, and is essentially a secondary plan to cover major sports-related injuries).  My family has always, and will probably continue, to use plans that cover just about everything, and which are therefore more expensive.  I could care less if other people choose to take plans that will force them to pay a lot out of pocket when they have a major medical bill, but almost every statistic says that it's not going to work out in the long run.

Please, go ahead and cite your unemployment numbers -- then step back and realize that this is all short term.  Most of the "youth" on this board won't be getting jobs in the next few years, and more importantly most of them won't be entering the fields that have been hurt the worst.  Most of us "youth" on this board are either in engineering or the sciences, neither of which has been hit heavily (in fact, science spending increased this year).  I can tell you that engineering internships and hiring made a strong come back from last year, and frankly that's all I care about.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/07/business/economy/07jobs.html?ref=global-home

Originally posted by NYT NYT wrote:

While the pace of job losses has slowed significantly since the peak of the recession last winter, the unemployment rate, which measures the number of people actively seeking work, continues to climb, and economists do not foresee relief until well into next year.

“There’s no doubt that the slashing and burning of jobs has abated quite a lot,” said Allen L. Sinai, the founder of Decision Economics, a research firm. “The economy is recovering, but it is a very soft recovery.”

The biggest losses came in the construction, manufacturing and retailing sectors. Health care companies added 29,000 jobs to their payrolls, and the number of temporary workers increased by 34,000 — a significant gain that could indicate employers are beginning to expand their businesses again.

I'll just leave that here.  Again, in five years, Americans will have again forgotten what difficult economic times are like.

Edited by ParielIsBack - 06 November 2009 at 10:11am
BU Engineering 2012
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2009 at 11:45am
Originally posted by oldsoldier oldsoldier wrote:

Typical, if a Republican wins, downplay it as a fluke. Yes the independants realize that the joke of 08 was on them, believing that the Dems were the answer. The shine is rapidly coming off the Democtratic Rose, and even the Dems in congress are rethinking career moves. NJ, VA and NY 23rd was a prelim of things to come if the Dem's keep up thier bravo sierra. NY 23rd Scossafava is being 'investigated' for shenanigans abiet resulting in the Dem winning. NJ was a gimme, and just wait till NY in 10, Paterson is circling the bowl as we speak.
I suppose it is possible that some Republicans won due to hard work and campaigning.  I'm just cynical enough to believe that those independants got drunk off the sweet liquor that was Obama's pretty speeches and are now living with the morning after hangover of regret.  Just my humble opinion.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2009 at 11:48am
OS and FE, you guys are delusional to think that the lack of turnout by voters in the recent elections has anything to do with "voter's remorse." It has more to do with the fact that the gubernatorial races NOT national races and thus hold less interest for most voters. Furthermore, the fact that the Obama election was a historic milestone got more people who don't regularly vote, or who had never voted in the past to turn out in droves. What we are seeing in these votes is the return to voter apathy which has less to do with the performance of Democrats in government than it does people who would rather watch the World Series than get out and vote. All you have to do is look at the exit polling numbers and you realize this. Of course No one has ever accused the two of you of doing much research before shooting off your mouths.

As for the economic situation, it's getting better. McCain couldn't have made the economy move any faster than it is right now. He may have decided to not bail out failing auto companies and banks like Obama did, and thus have kept the national debt a little better in check, but the fact of the matter is that the economical issues of this country will require far more than the actions of the office of the president or even congress to get us out of this mire. New regulations on the banking industry are needed to not only keep this kind of thing from happening again, but to also boost consumer confidence in their financial institutions so that they won't be afraid to invest again. A higher minimum wage won't hurt the economy in the long-run either. It gives more people more money to pay for more products meaning far more manufacturing and retail jobs as well as white-collar jobs that go along with the increase in production and sales (managers, accountants, payroll officers, etc.)

Right now, things are stabilizing and even getting better to some extent. The National Restaurant Association (the other NRA) just reported in their November edition that teens and college students have begun spending more at restaurants, bars, and retail outlets than they have since November of last year. This is an excellent indicator of economic stability as most college students rely on their parents for spending money. We haven't seen as big an uptake in the adult end of the spectrum, but most economic analysts believe that this isn't due to any lack of funds, but rather smarter spending on the part of bread winners these days. Whereas before people would purchase on credit, these days purchase plans such as layaway are making a comeback. This is VERY important since an economy based around credit is an economy built on a shaky foundation compared to real-sales and real-dollars.

Edited by tallen702 - 06 November 2009 at 11:49am
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2009 at 12:05pm

I'll just leave that here.  Again, in five years, Americans will have again forgotten what difficult economic times are like.

Before Obama was elected I heard and read that if you wanted a good idea what the country will look like under Obama, look at Michigan under Jennifer Granholm.  She made a pretty little speech in January of '06 stating "In five years, you’re going to be blown away by the strength and diversity of Michigan’s transformed economy."  Five years.  So far in the 4 years since that speech Michigan has one of the worst economies in the union with a 15% unemployment rate.  A full 5% higher than the national average.  If she couldn't transform Michigan in this time, what could possibly happen to make the American people forget what hard economic times are like?  Are all the people that lived during and just after the Great Depression just going to have spontaneous amnesia or will they all be dead in five years?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2009 at 12:53pm

OS and FE, you guys are delusional to think that the lack of turnout by voters in the recent elections has anything to do with "voter's remorse."

Yeah, its just us...

Hello, tipping point for Obama...
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2009 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by StormyKnight StormyKnight wrote:

Before Obama was elected I heard and read that if you wanted a good idea what the country will look like under Obama, look at Michigan under Jennifer Granholm.  She made a pretty little speech in January of '06 stating "In five years, you’re going to be blown away by the strength and diversity of Michigan’s transformed economy."  Five years.  So far in the 4 years since that speech Michigan has one of the worst economies in the union with a 15% unemployment rate.  A full 5% higher than the national average.  If she couldn't transform Michigan in this time, what could possibly happen to make the American people forget what hard economic times are like?  Are all the people that lived during and just after the Great Depression just going to have spontaneous amnesia or will they all be dead in five years?

You're talking about the state that has had increasing unemployment for the last decade and a half because they can't make a car worth buying.

Also, perhaps I should expand on my statement: Americans will start spending like there's no such thing as hard times again.  Every economic downturn and upturn shows that this is exactly the case, for the last century of economics.
BU Engineering 2012
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2009 at 1:36pm

OS and FE, you guys are delusional to think that the lack of turnout by voters in the recent elections has anything to do with "voter's remorse."

Yeah, its just us...

Hello, tipping point for Obama...

Holy failarity Batman! OpEd =/= fact there FE.

Furthermore, if you read past the rhetoric that you seem to love so much, you'll see that the numbers thrown out in your OpEd actually back up what I've been saying. Voter turnouts were lower than they were for the presidential elections here in VA, and that, rather than any incensed objection to the White House is what allowed VA Republicans to regain their stake in the state's legislative and executive branches. Again, you are delusional, same as the person who wrote that OpEd. You take whatever you can find to support your opinion and twist it to fit your case. Neo-Cons such as yourself are nothing more than a fringe, you are exactly the same as those you scream about and rail against at every opportunity. You are the cancer that has destroyed the Republican Party.
oldsoldier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Frequent target of infantile obsessives

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2009 at 3:27pm
Yes how long did it take the nation to forget Hoover and that economic downturn. As the economy continues to spiral the bowl faster and faster with the help of current Dem policies, will the masses forget the promises made and immediately broken. The Stimulus just spead up the process, instead of reversing it. Now burden the economy with another giant spending give away (health care) and the flush will be complete. BTW what happened to Pelosi's promise of a on web review of the bill for 72hours prior to the vote? What does she fear?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic