Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What upgrades should I buy with a tippmann a5???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
mdee4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdee4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What upgrades should I buy with a tippmann a5???
    Posted: 02 November 2009 at 6:52pm
I'm completely new to paintball and I just want to use it for fun. But I want it to be accurate and be able to shoot far!!!

What upgrades should I buy with it to make it as good as possible? Please give specifics as for what upgrades to get!!!
Wheres cheapest place to get the marker and accessories for it??
I know I want...

Tippmann a5 marker
Response trigger (to make it fully auto right?)
150-200 ball hopper (I want it to be as small size as possible! any recommendations?)
12" barrel (about that size. I want it to be like sniper and ACCURATE! Any recommendations?)(or should I get a flatline barrel?)
3 positioning stock (Or should I get a different one, like 6 stock?)
20 oz CO2 Tank (what's the best one to get?)
Anything else?

Please give as much useful info to help me make my decision as for what to get!

Thanks!!!!
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2009 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by mdee4 mdee4 wrote:

I'm completely new to paintball and I just want to use it for fun. But I want it to be accurate and be able to shoot far!!!

What upgrades should I buy with it to make it as good as possible?

I always recommend that people wait a while before upgrading to get an idea of what upgrades they need to compliment their playing style.

Please give specifics as for what upgrades to get!!!

You will get a lot of varying opinions as everyone has their own ideas of what is good or bad.  The advice I will offer is to search the forums for certain topics of interest as most of what you are asking for has been posted before.  (I could be wrong about getting a bunch of opinions, sometimes the forum has minimal patience with those who don't look around for themselves.)

Wheres cheapest place to get the marker and accessories for it??
I know I want...

The cheapest place tends to vary.  Furthermore, some of us (at least me) do not really like to recommend specific places on the off-chance that the person we make the recommendation to has a bad experience.

Tippmann a5 marker

Good choice.

Response trigger (to make it fully auto right?)

The response trigger (R/T) is a pneumatically-activated trigger assist system that gives the effect of fully auto fire; technically however, it is still semi-auto.

150-200 ball hopper (I want it to be as small size as possible! any recommendations?)

I recommend sticking with the stock 200 round hopper.  You can however find hoppers that hold anything from 30 rounds (tac cap) to 400 rounds (Allen paintball products).

12" barrel (about that size. I want it to be like sniper and ACCURATE! Any recommendations?)

Most people on here recommend barrels in the 12-14" length range.  I will add that most people on here also don't believe in the concept of sniping in woodsball with standard markers and paintballs.  Sadly, paintballs are not just all that accurate and most of the markers, with the exception of a few specialty systems (that have their own advantages and disadvantages) all have essentially the same range.

(or should I get a flatline barrel?)

J&J Ceramic or Lapco Bigshots are the specific barrels most often recommended by the members of this forum.  Both are good barrels and doing a search will turn up a ton of threads on both.  I do not recommend the Flatline (F/L) for new players.  It is a unique system with its own specific strengths and weaknesses and people tend to either really like or dislike it.  (With that in mind, if you really want one, try to test someone else's out before dropping the cash for one.

3 positioning stock (Or should I get a different one, like 6 stock?)

Stocks are also an acquired taste.  Many players just use their tank as a stock and do fine while carrying less weight than someone with a stock.  Other players like not having either a stock or tank on the gun, or moving the tank forward, so as to have a more compact marker.  My personal favorite stocks are the folding ones that are made by JCS, but as I said; it really is a matter of personal taste.

20 oz CO2 Tank (what's the best one to get?)

CO2 tanks are pretty simple pieces of equipment and I really don't think there is that big a difference between brands.  What you do have to consider is the material you want it made of:  The chrome-moly have a longer life span but the aluminum ones are lighter.

Anything else?

Please give as much useful info to help me make my decision as for what to get!

Thanks!!!!

Edited by Mack - 02 November 2009 at 7:21pm
Evil Elvis View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Crusher of Dreams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evil Elvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2009 at 8:01pm
The best early Upgrade you can get is Field Experience. Buy a good After Market Barrel and then go play with friends. The more you shoot the better you will Become. Just like any Sport.

Practice, Practice, Practice

HPA might be a good investment as Fall is here and soon Colder temperatures will turn your CO2 tank into nothing but Issues.
mdee4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdee4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2009 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by Evil Elvis Evil Elvis wrote:

Buy a good After Market Barrel.

HPA might be a good investment as Fall is here and soon Colder temperatures will turn your CO2 tank into nothing but Issues.

What's a good SPECIFIC after market barrel you would recommend to get?
Would you recommend J&J Ceramic or Lapco Bigshots barrels? 
Should I get a 12" or 14"?

What's HPA??

Also, what's a cheap SPECIFIC aluminum 20oz CO2 tank to get??

Thanks
TinMan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TinMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2009 at 8:25pm
HPA is high pressure air.

I agree with Evil, just play and have a good time.
But my first suggested upgrade for anyone who will listen is a good mask. LOL
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2009 at 8:30pm

C02 tanks really dont vary from manufacturer. In fact, I think many manufacturers have their tanks made in the same factory and just label them differently.

mdee4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdee4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2009 at 6:09pm
OK. Thanks for the info guys! Is there anything else I should know???

Also, I think I'm gonna get a 12" barrel! Which specific one should I get because I have no idea!
Robby_of_PBH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robby_of_PBH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2009 at 1:16pm
As far as the "shooting far" goes, unless you have a barrel that ads backspin all barrels will be near the same.

So if you do want it to go far, check out the flatline or apex barrel.  Although they go far, there accuracy probably isn't as good as a NON-backspin barrel.  So it's your decision.  IMO, if your playing woodsball or somewhere not on a speedball type course, I'd go with the flatline/apex.  Personally I think the extra distance is awesome, but that's just me.
mdee4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdee4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2009 at 6:57pm
What is an apex barrel? 
Is flatline or apex barrel better?
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2009 at 8:59pm
An apex barrel, in its simplest of terms, makes your rounds shoot farther. They will fly out to around 300 feet, but rather inneffective after 200 feet or so, because they either dont break or people will just dodge them.

I like apex barrels more than flatlines.

For simplicity, I would reccomend a JJ ceramic or Lapco Bigshot. I believe Lapco makes barrels that you can use apex tips on if you wish later. Not sure though. Check their website.
p shooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2009 at 9:49pm
mdee 4 there is alot of information out here on the net just read and learn then ask specific questons..... most of the questions you may ask have already been asked and answered, and if you have further questions then ask.
You have just begun your journey into the world of paintball, have lots of fun and always rember its the player and not the gear...... but great gear is so really cool.
prolitesniper1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prolitesniper1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2009 at 7:42pm
... see somethings never change on here, first off are we to assume you are playing woods? or speedball? based on that you can get a better answer for what gear you need
im back
mdee4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdee4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2009 at 10:00am
Thanks SSOX. 

It'd probably be woodsball. 

Knowing this, should I get a flatline, apex, or just a 16" sniper barrel? Why?
mdee4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdee4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2009 at 7:14pm
Anyone have any ideas?
Also, what exactly is the difference between an apex barrel and a flatline barrel?
TMan 24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMan 24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2009 at 7:36pm
As far as i read there, that will be a nice A-5. The only thing i can say it get a 10 position red dot green dot scope that is a nice way to dial in your shot. As for prices it is going to very in every different place you live right. I could get all that from my guys for about $500 make that gun look like M16. Whee are you from? Maybe i can help you get some good deals?

TMan24
NJCB
TinMan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TinMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2009 at 7:37pm
An Apex barrel skids the ball off of a rubber ramp to induce a backspin.
The Flatline barrel uses a curved barrel to impart backspin.
The only real difference is you can adjust the amount of backspin with the Apex.
I prefer the Flatline 

Terroreyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terroreyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2009 at 7:40pm

I play 90% woodsball and am really starting to lke my Flatline. That extra distance sure does come in handy! Does take a bit to get used to it though. Awesome for punching through brush and tight spaces at long distances. As noted in the tips section, you do have to concentrate on keeping the gun square for straight shots. I've learned to tilt the gun to give it an "Apex" effect when needed. Not as dramatic as an Apex, but the Flatline does have that tight fast curve to the flight that has come in handy shooting around obstructions. Put it to good use yesterday! :) 

Edited by Terroreyes - 09 November 2009 at 7:41pm
mdee4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdee4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2009 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by TMan 24 TMan 24 wrote:

As far as i read there, that will be a nice A-5. The only thing i can say it get a 10 position red dot green dot scope that is a nice way to dial in your shot. As for prices it is going to very in every different place you live right. I could get all that from my guys for about $500 make that gun look like M16. Whee are you from? Maybe i can help you get some good deals?

TMan24

I live in Maryland, USA........
mdee4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdee4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2009 at 6:46pm
Are there different brands of flatline barrels I could get? Which is the one you think I should get?
mdee4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdee4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2009 at 7:41pm
I am also looking into getting the cyclone feed system. I'm getting the tippmann a5 with response trigger and a 13.5" barrel. How cheap can I get it for? Is it worth getting it??

Can I still use the response trigger and shoot about 15 bps and it still work fine? Does CFS just allow the balls to shoot at 17 bps? Is the CFS heavy?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic