FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Duke the basset in meltdown

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
oldsoldier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Frequent target of infantile obsessives

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Duke the basset in meltdown
    Posted: 30 October 2009 at 8:19pm
Duke and Beau are in the back yard, a 150ftx150ft pen off the house, wild turkeys are roaming the yard, Duke is going nuts, running back and forth, falling all over himself, barking and baying in hunt mode, Beau the more controled one is not wasting any energy, just watching from the heated dog house.

The turkeys are just ignoring them.

Hysterical......wish I had a video camera
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2009 at 9:04pm
My dad's dogs used to do the same things when peacocks would wander onto his property.

For those of you not in the know, peacocks are wild here in Florida.

It's not as cool as you would think. They ate all of my dad's chicken's food, squawked all the damn time and would hop on the roof of the house and poop all over it. You'd pop them in the ass with a BB gun and they would just run in the woods only to come back an hour later.

Not only are the illegal to shoot, but they are big and smelly, so if you did shoot one, you'd have to find something to do with 80lbs of big smelly blue bird carcass.
"So when Romney wins in a landslide, what will the liberal media do?"
This Ma**edited**hine Kills **edited**as**edited**ists.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2009 at 9:14pm
Turkey Season tommorrow, like NY they come to you. Sit on back porch with 12ga or even my 1200fps woodchuck killer .177 airgun and it looks like "wild turkey" for thanksgiving. Dress it out, spice it and freeze it, till "oven" day.
brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2009 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by agentwhale007 agentwhale007 wrote:

My dad's dogs used to do the same things when peacocks would wander onto his property.

It's not as cool as you would think. They ate all of my dad's chicken's food, squawked all the damn time and would hop on the roof of the house and poop all over it. You'd pop them in the ass with a BB gun and they would just run in the woods only to come back an hour later.

Not only are the illegal to shoot, but they are big and smelly, so if you did shoot one, you'd have to find something to do with 80lbs of big smelly blue bird carcass.

Airsoft gun?
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2009 at 9:20pm
Originally posted by brihard brihard wrote:

Airsoft gun?

Nah, just used a cheap Red Rider deal from K-Mart.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2009 at 9:24pm
Originally posted by oldsoldier oldsoldier wrote:

Dress it out, spice it and freeze it, till "oven" day.

I've decided that since I am in charge of cooking this year, I'm doing turkey my own way.

I'm gonna make my own Mojo seasoning (garlic, vinegar, grapefruit/orange/lime juice) for the bird and a sofrito-based stuffing.

Pretty much going to have a Puerto Rican Thanksgiving. I'll keep an eye out for Evil Elvis.

GI JOES SON View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Got me flowers for my birthday

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GI JOES SON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2009 at 9:30pm
agentwhale- bury it

OS-sounds like a good idea when season opens. freeze em til turkey day. nothing says "i told you so" like eating what you told so
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2009 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by GI JOES SON GI JOES SON wrote:

agentwhale- bury it

1. That's a big hole, something I didn't want to dig.
  2. That works until a wild dog / coyote discovers where the hole is. Then you have a slightly rotted and half-eaten peacock corpse to deal with. 

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2009 at 9:38pm
Yea, already planning stuffing. My standard Jimmy Dean Hot Breakfast sausage(pre-cooked), cornbread crumbles, red onion chopped, red and green peppers chopped, momma always complains too hot, but I probably will be here and by myself, so I can make it as hot as I want.

After I prep and before freezing a good "cajun" spice rub inside and out, I want to try the deep fry thing but maybe next year.
GI JOES SON View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Got me flowers for my birthday

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GI JOES SON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2009 at 9:57pm
whale- good point. never been in the situation to think about it enough, but you are right.

OS- never thought about deep frying a turkey, i assume it would be best that way LOL. i have heard of people cooking them outside as to allow to be cooked by propane as well as to "beer cook" it. i always wanted to try that... i know it can be done indoors but i've heard of better results outdoors
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2009 at 12:34pm

Impale it on a piece of re-bar, spray paint it pink and stick it in your front yard.

Originally posted by GI JOES SON GI JOES SON wrote:

whale- good point. never been in the situation to think about it enough, but you are right.

OS- never thought about deep frying a turkey, i assume it would be best that way LOL. i have heard of people cooking them outside as to allow to be cooked by propane as well as to "beer cook" it. i always wanted to try that... i know it can be done indoors but i've heard of better results outdoors

I always cook mine outside, on a cement walk, well away from flammables, with a fire extinguisher handy.

Edited by Mack - 31 October 2009 at 12:35pm
Brian Fellows View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
That’s MISTER Fellows to you...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Fellows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2009 at 1:38pm
I've always wanted to try frying a turkey, but not only am I sure I'd mess it up, but I'd probably end up needing skin grafts.
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2009 at 2:22pm

It's not as cool as you would think. They ate all of my dad's chicken's
food, squawked all the damn time and would hop on the roof of the house
and poop all over it. You'd pop them in the ass with a BB gun and they
would just run in the woods only to come back an hour later.

Not only are the illegal to shoot, but they are big and smelly, so if
you did shoot one, you'd have to find something to do with 80lbs of big
smelly blue bird carcass.

I wanted a peacock my whole life, so when I was 17 a lady gave me a beautiful one for free because she and her husband were moving out of state. I HATED that bird.

In fact I'll go as far to say I hate most birds. My mom raised chickens, they'd climb up on my Mustang GT that I took pristine care of and claw it up / crap on it / lay eggs on and around it. She ended up with over 80 free roaming chickens because the pens wouldn't hold them.

So one day my mom was out of town and my dad walks in with a couple of 12 guages my AR 15 and a couple of pistols and asks if we want to have a target shoot. Apparently they had clawed up my brand new Dodge truck that I traded my poor scratched up Muskrat for.

tl;dr Birds suck.
brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2009 at 2:32pm
LOL, how'd your mom react when you blew up all her chickens?
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2009 at 2:38pm
I have a solution to everyones problems in this thread. Rather than bury or impale the peacocks, deep fry them for thanksgiving.

Plus you could probably make a cool hat or something out of the feathers.
ParielIsBack View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
future target of fratricide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2009 at 2:43pm
Alternatively you could learn their mating rituals and have sex with peahens. While wearing the peacock feathers -- obviously.

Edited by ParielIsBack - 31 October 2009 at 2:44pm
BU Engineering 2012
brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2009 at 2:51pm
Obviously.

stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2009 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by brihard brihard wrote:

LOL, how'd your mom react when you blew up all her chickens?

Not politely I'm sure lol...we killed about 30 or 40 of them, the other half or so left were either game chickens that roosted in trees or domesticated chickens that picked up their habits. As for the bodies to this day Im not really sure what my dad did with all of them...my buddy and I skipped put before my mom got out of church that night. Not too hard to get rid of cheekun though, scavengers in the woods love'em, living or dead.

After that the only chicken killing I did was her beloved rooster. His attempts at performing mating rituals with my legs at weird hours of the morning unwelcome.
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2009 at 3:19pm
Oh and double poster...interesting fact about killing chickens. If you kill a hen, before she even hits the ground all the roosters gather up and have their way with her. It's pretty unsettling.
ParielIsBack View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
future target of fratricide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2009 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by stratoaxe stratoaxe wrote:

Oh and double poster...interesting fact about killing chickens. If you kill a hen, before she even hits the ground all the roosters gather up and have their way with her. It's pretty unsettling.

That is indeed quite unsettling.
BU Engineering 2012
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic