FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

An FE style thread

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: An FE style thread
    Posted: 26 October 2009 at 11:04am
Not really.  But all FE detractors should be warned that his participation is expected.  Read beyond this post at your own risk.

An interesting AP article came out today discussing the excessive profits made by the private health care industry.  It focuses mainly on insurers as they have been the target of numerous administration attacks related to profiteering in an effort to push forward the nationalized health care agenda.  The gist of the article is that the obscene profits made by health insurers exist only in the minds of their detractors and those with a different political agenda.

Link

This pretty much sums it up:

Originally posted by article article wrote:

But in pillorying insurers over profits, the critics are on shaky ground. Ledgers tell a different reality.
__sneaky__ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Voted 2010 Most Improved Forumer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2009 at 11:13am
Its as if I have pshycic powers and already know exactly how this thread will turn out...
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2009 at 11:15am
Yes, you have powers; but, they're "psychotic," not "psychic."  Big smile

Edited Addition:  But, your probably right.

Edited by Mack - 26 October 2009 at 11:22am
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2009 at 11:23am
Hey, tamato, tamato... Hmm, that saying doesnt work very well on the interwebs...

Well, either way, I still got powers! Big smile
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2009 at 11:54am
Any news writer who uses -ly modifiers, or any adverbs, should be shot immediately on site. 
"So when Romney wins in a landslide, what will the liberal media do?"
This Ma**edited**hine Kills **edited**as**edited**ists.

Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2009 at 11:57am
^^^Maybe I'll start calling you the "anti-ly".
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2009 at 11:59am
Originally posted by Mack Mack wrote:

^^^Maybe I'll start calling you the "anti-ly".

I'll allow it.
"So when Romney wins in a landslide, what will the liberal media do?"
This Ma**edited**hine Kills **edited**as**edited**ists.

Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2009 at 12:39pm
Thumbs Up
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2009 at 2:26pm
On a somewhat similiar note, did anyone catch 60 minutes last night? Had a really interesting segment about Medicare ripoffs. As my brother the PA said, " and this is the program that we essentially want to expand?".  One guy alone was responsible for 20mil in Medicare ripoffs.
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2009 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by oldpbnoob oldpbnoob wrote:

On a somewhat similiar note, did anyone catch 60 minutes last night? Had a really interesting segment about Medicare ripoffs. As my brother the PA said, " and this is the program that we essentially want to expand?".  One guy alone was responsible for 20mil in Medicare ripoffs.

Once Obamacare passes THEN they will cut down on the fraud to pay for it...

Not until then though...
They tremble at my name...
brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2009 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by __sneaky__ __sneaky__ wrote:

Its as if I have pshycic powers and already know exactly how this thread will turn out...

"I think jmac killed a guy with a trident..."
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
Peter Parker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Parker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2009 at 5:24pm

... so can I extrapolate from this that your brother the PA thinks we should terminate Medicare entirely?

"E Pluribus Unum" does not mean "Every man for himself".

Pop Quiz: What do all the Framers of the Constitution have in common?
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2009 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by Peter Parker Peter Parker wrote:

... so can I extrapolate from this that your brother the PA thinks we should terminate Medicare entirely?

I'll bite... Not sure of his exact viewpoints on terminating it, but he is whole heartedly against expanding a system with so many obvious shortcomings.
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Parker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2009 at 5:44pm
Obvious response:  But if it is so bad, why allow it to continue at all?

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2009 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by brihard brihard wrote:

I could see that happening. Just so long as it wasnt a deer.
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2009 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by Peter Parker Peter Parker wrote:

Obvious response:  But if it is so bad, why allow it to continue at all?
To a certain degree, I agree, but I don't have faith that the system replacing it would be any better. Understand that the gist of the segment was more concerning the failure of the governments ability to police fraudulent claims in it's existing form, not on the level of treatment that it provided. If the Feds can't control it now, how can they expect to do so when it is 10-100 times the size that it is now? I guess they'll make it up in volume.

And and apology, the fact that my brother is a PA really had little to do with the post. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Parker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2009 at 8:03pm
Well, I figure fraud is a problem now, and it would probably be a problem if the program were expanded.  And clearly we should fight fraud, now and in the future. 

But there are basically three scenarios here:  1.  Medicare is a bad program, in which case it should be eliminated, or 2.  Medicare is a good program, in which case we should consider expanding it, despite the fraud issues, or 3.  Medicare is a good program now, but expanding it would ruin it.

I have not heard any good arguments for number 3 yet, which leaves me with 1 or 2, yet I don't hear anybody arguing for the elimination of Medicare.

And on the fraud issue:  Is there significant fraud in the V.A. health system?  Or the active military health services?  I don't believe I have heard of any serious complaints of fraud in either of those public programs.

Moreover, as far as I know, almost all of the Medicare fraud relates to, or at least springs out of, the fee-for-procedure system.  Most of us hard-core healthcare reformers think that the fee-for-procedure system is a fundamental and systemic flaw in the entire setup - not just Medicare.  I think this payment structure is one of the main reasons for high costs, and not just because of Medicare fraud.  I would like to see Medicare (and everybody else) go away from fee-for-procedure payments entirely, regardless of whatever other reform we undertake.

jmac3 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2009 at 8:35pm

Originally posted by brihard brihard wrote:

I could see that happening. Just so long as it wasnt a deer.

I would have killed FE with a trident if I could do it from the top of a skyscraper and then yell through a megaphone

"I AM GOD AND I STRIKE YOU DOWN!"
Que pasa?

oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2009 at 8:50pm

Wow, I wasn't even looking for an argument. How about option 4, Fix the system at it's current size and be sure the safeguards are in place before making it bigger. If you have a road system that is crumbling, but needs to be expanded, you don't just pave over it and make it wider. You fix the existing infrastructure and than build onto it, even encorporating the fixed infrastructure into the new one. Building upon a failed system will just create a bigger failing system. Again, I am not arguing that Medicare provides proper medical service, the story was focusing on theft within the system, that amounts to potentially billions of dollars.

And the fraud was based actually on out and out theft. One example was false companies popping up, stealing peoples ID's and essentially billing Medicare for millions upon millions of dollars in goods/services that were never given/requested/delivered. The way the system apparently is set up, Medicare is required to pay out on claims within a certain amount of time, so they pay dubious claims and investigate afterwards. By this time, the company has closed shop and popped up in another location. Other cases involved a pharmacy in a very small town bililng medicare for $800,000 in one month alone. By the time the feds investigated, it was gone. Another instance where a lady reported claims appearing on her bills since 2003 for goods/services never recieved, and gets nowhere for 6 years. The system is broken and rife with theft. Estimates were thrown around on the degree to which it existed, but I wasn't sitting and taking notes, just appalled at the stories.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic