Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

John Dillinger 1934 gun... Nah, no way...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: John Dillinger 1934 gun... Nah, no way...
    Posted: 26 October 2009 at 10:36am
Ok, so one of my friends (who lives near Dayton Ohio) has an older neighbor who told him that she had one of John Dillingers guns.

It is now sitting on my desk, and I've been searching trying to figure out what this gun is?

It looks to be a 32 caliper. But, there are no maker marks other than a "F" under the safety (for fire, I assume). And the serial number (5 digits) and then the stamping of "John Dillinger 1934"...

It is confusing me, anyone got any ideas?

She has the grips, but with them on, you can't see the stamping.

They tremble at my name...
merc View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
American Scotchy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2009 at 10:39am
post it on arfcom

damn it, i want fruit loops now... bastard

Edited by merc - 26 October 2009 at 10:40am
saving the world, one warship at a time.
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2009 at 10:43am
try battle rifles on yahoo groups or OA2.org, arfdotcom is a joke.
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2009 at 10:50am
If I was home I could consult my collection of books and whatnot, its a good bet that it'd be in there- but its a good bet someone will have an answer for you before I get home to look. 

__sneaky__ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Voted 2010 Most Improved Forumer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2009 at 11:15am
Mail it to me and I'll find out for you Big smile
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2009 at 11:40am
it looks to be a knock off. Not a Colt.
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2009 at 11:55am
My library didn't have an exact mach but it got me close enough to do a bit of google work which leads me to believe that its a Gabilondo-Ruby

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruby_pistol

Cees is right, it was really closely modeled after Browning's M1903.

Edited by Reb Cpl - 26 October 2009 at 12:38pm

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2009 at 12:01pm
it does, the slides charging grip is swept in a curl, Colt and Browning's are straight.
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2009 at 1:02pm
hmm...

Well, I took it to my local gun guy, who has been able to answer every question I have had over the years... And he told me he only ever saw one gun with "John Dillinger" stamped into it under the grips, picked up the phone, and in less than a minute I was talking to the owner...

His was older than this one but both were .32's His was a colt though... He said he has been thinking about talking to Cowans Auctions here in Cincinnati to have it researched...

I know Wesley Cowan, as he has sold some of my family stuff over the years, so I think I will drop him an email and see what he knows about it.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2009 at 1:09pm
but no make or manufacturer?
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2009 at 1:24pm
not yet... I thought for sure my gun guy would know. He seems to think it was ground off, as you can see buffing marks on it... But, I don't think that is true, as you would have to take off a lot of metal to remove a mark, and it doesn't look like any has been removed. buffed yes, ground down, no...

Plus the fit and finish is very nice, not typical of a cheap knock off.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2009 at 3:03pm
So, I took it over to cowans, and the weapon expert took a look at it, and told me it is a Ruby Arms .32 acp, manufactured (need to do a serial number search to verify year) from between 1910-1920. He thought the manufacturer name was ground off...

value... $50-$75.

Got to see some really cool stuff though, as their next firearms auction is November 4-5...
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2009 at 3:32pm
Told ya. Approve

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2009 at 3:37pm

I was impressed...

Kind of funny, I was in their office at the military weapons area and there was this cool tiffany sword sitting on the shelf. I asked if I could pick it up, and he said "Sure"... It was pretty cool... later, when I got back to my office  I looked in the auction book and realized it was worth between $20,000-$30,000!

Glad I didn't drop it...
nickman98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Et Tu, Nickman?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickman98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2009 at 4:23pm
neat little piece. we have a calvery sword from the cival war in my family. dont remember what its worth but saw it on the pawn stars show on the history channel.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2009 at 8:51am
Ok... So the mystery has deepened. Today my friend brought in the grips... With a bunch of letters.

And I have MORE questions than answers, and I am starting to become a believer that this was actually John Dillingers gun...

Turns out a guy I met yesterday also has a dillinger gun with his name under the grip... (colt 32).

This gun is old enough (1910-1920).
The serial number doesn't match anything else, (barrel has a different number, as does frame under grip number... All different punch numbers...)

And ruby arms was removed, (I micrometered it and one side is thinner than the other side).

If you were a criminal, and you wanted a gun that couldn't be traced, you would do exactly what was done to this gun, you could even carry barrels and just switch them out after they were used in a shootout... Since switching the barrel takes about a second.

Also, John Dillinger loved his status, and was eccentric enough that he might have had his name stamped on his gun for kicks, expecially since it is under the grips where no one would ever see it unless the grips were removed.

And this gun, was in the Dillinger museum... (they gave me the letters that go with this gun today)

Here is a sample of one of the other letters...

Interesting...
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2009 at 9:33am
Talked to John Dillingers grandson yesterday, and he thinks he has some papers on this gun, and is pretty sure it is legit...

Plus he is very interested in buying it...

Now, I gotta figure out what it is worth...
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2009 at 10:07am
FE, more than likely it is a fake.  
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

Shub View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I donít have one either. Is that good???

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2009 at 11:44am
Originally posted by FreeEnterprise FreeEnterprise wrote:

Now, I gotta figure out what it is worth...

Originally posted by FreeEnterprise FreeEnterprise wrote:

value... $50-$75.

DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2009 at 12:08pm
/me is following thread with interest

Edit: I like how that last letter is from some guy on the Playboy forums...

Edited by DeTrevni - 05 November 2009 at 12:10pm
Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic