FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Computer help.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
__sneaky__ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Voted 2010 Most Improved Forumer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Computer help.
    Posted: 25 October 2009 at 11:16pm
Alright, my computer is being rediculous. It hasnt been reading any blank CD's for a while now (even ones that I have burned information on to), but I tried my luck today and I was going to burn off a CD from my itunes library, but it froze up. So I pulled up my task manager and closed it out, but it was still acting odd. So I restarted my PC, it had problems coming back to the log in screen, So I pulled up the boot screen manually. Still did'nt work till I left it to sit for a while. Now I've done a system restore, and I'm still having problems. It takes forever to pull up itunes (and several other programs) yet SL, Liveforspeed, and various other games come up just fine. If I have another program pulled up, and I try and pull up internet explorer, it goes straight to non responsive.

I have a Gateway 6810 btw if that helps anything.

(INB4: Its a gateway - thats the problem, and its Internet Explorer - thats the problem.)

UPDATE: Apparently it works perfectly fine if I take the blank CD out of the computer Confused What the hell...

Edited by __sneaky__ - 25 October 2009 at 11:23pm
nickman98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Et Tu, Nickman?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickman98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2009 at 11:26pm

thats ok something is wrong with my lap top try to burn cds from itunes and it'll burn the first track or two then just skip through the rest and say its done.

Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2009 at 11:38pm
What kind of cd is it? RW or just R?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2009 at 11:44pm

R, It used to fuction just fine, I've burned CD's off of here before, but it just went crazy a while back.

Darur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Stare directly into my avatar...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2009 at 11:49pm
Driver issue most likely.  Try uninstall and reinstall.

Does the CD drive make any wear noises?
Real Men play Tuba

PH33R TEH 1337 Dwarf!
DONT CLICK ME!!1
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2009 at 11:51pm
Nothing too out of the ordinary. It runs most CD's fine. I spent 3 hours today playing Medievil Total War, and play ARMA 2 frequently now, both require the CD, but as soon as I put on of the blank CD's in, it gets crazy.
jerseypaint View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerseypaint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2009 at 12:09am
Defrag, then come back.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2009 at 12:15am
Defragged earlier this week, gunna leave it to defrag tonight tho, it takes forever to defrag my drive, it'll still be going by the time I wake up
jerseypaint View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerseypaint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2009 at 12:22am
Originally posted by __sneaky__ __sneaky__ wrote:

Defragged earlier this week, gunna leave it to defrag tonight tho, it takes forever to defrag my drive, it'll still be going by the time I wake up

Well if you defragged earlier this week, then it shouldn't take long and is probably not your problem. Run some spy bot search and destroy, Avast, or AVG and see what that turns up.
Darur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Stare directly into my avatar...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2009 at 5:19am
Best guess is still drivers, gateway's support page ought to have the latest.  Uninstall the CD-ROM in device manager and then install the new drivers.

Rereading your initial post I'm confused now.  What do you mean by "blank CD's for a while now (even ones that I have burned information on to)"? You mean it doesn't like blank CDs, or CDs you burnt yourself?  If its the latter, is that limited to CDs burnt on your computer, or any other CD burnt by a friend?
Real Men play Tuba

PH33R TEH 1337 Dwarf!
DONT CLICK ME!!1
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2009 at 7:33am
I've had similar sounding issues, if I put a blank cd in i wouldn't recognize as there being a disk. If i put in a cut cd, same issue. If I put in a purchased disk it would run perfectly fine. That was with an external Lightscribe DVD drive. I smacked it around and replaced the usb cable, and it worked. No idea what fixed the problem. Violence or new hardware
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2009 at 8:32am
Originally posted by Darur Darur wrote:

Best guess is still drivers, gateway's support page ought to have the latest.  Uninstall the CD-ROM in device manager and then install the new drivers.

Rereading your initial post I'm confused now.  What do you mean by "blank CD's for a while now (even ones that I have burned information on to)"? You mean it doesn't like blank CDs, or CDs you burnt yourself?  If its the latter, is that limited to CDs burnt on your computer, or any other CD burnt by a friend?
It doesnt read CDs I burnt myself, and blank CDs both. I dont know about CDs my friends have burnt for me because I don't have many laying around to try out.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic