FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

You thought the Patriot Act sucked.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2009 at 10:47pm
I don't see the problem with the city using cameras.

When you're out of your house, you're on public property, or property owned by someone else. You have much more limited privacy rights outside of your own home. Video surveillance is fine for me until sound gets added into the equation, or if it enters personal areas such as restrooms, changing rooms, or anywhere that would just be flat out voyeurism.

Again, I probably fall into the minority, especially among my political persuasion. I just think there are benefits to unbiased cameras instead of potentially biased cops.

Especially now days, when terms like "racial profiling" and "abuse of power" get thrown around, causing lawsuits, waste of court time, and delay of punishment. Camera's don't like-and besides why tie up law enforcement for silly small time offenses?

That's just my take. Obviously this whole thing can get take way too far way too fast, but just talking about cameras in specific, and at that in open public places where they're clearly marked, I gots no problems.
scotchyscotch View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Currently awaiting brand new strikes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotchyscotch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2009 at 2:19am
Originally posted by TinMan TinMan wrote:

Originally posted by MeanMan MeanMan wrote:

If you aren't doing anything stupid, then......

I was in Glasgow a few times and saw them everywhere. After the initial
curiosity I forgot about them.

In the city centre I would expect them. After all it is the murder capital of western Europe. My mate was stabbed on Union street (The street with a pooload of buses on it if you know it) a few weeks ago.
The only deterrent to the violence that is common in Glasgow's streets (and I'm sure many others in Britain) is the cameras. Although all around where I live which is mostly suburban there is a lot of cameras. After a while you learn where they are and plan your shenanigans around them.

The camera's are doing there job. They are deterring crime where they are placed and as has been mentioned before footage will only be reviewed when it needs to be.
The Reaper "And yet... His facebook says he "likes" Coons..."
ParielIsBack View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
future target of fratricide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2009 at 7:37am
Originally posted by stratoaxe stratoaxe wrote:

I don't see the problem with the city using cameras.

When you're out of your house, you're on public property, or property owned by someone else. You have much more limited privacy rights outside of your own home. Video surveillance is fine for me until sound gets added into the equation, or if it enters personal areas such as restrooms, changing rooms, or anywhere that would just be flat out voyeurism.

Again, I probably fall into the minority, especially among my political persuasion. I just think there are benefits to unbiased cameras instead of potentially biased cops.

Especially now days, when terms like "racial profiling" and "abuse of power" get thrown around, causing lawsuits, waste of court time, and delay of punishment. Camera's don't like-and besides why tie up law enforcement for silly small time offenses?

That's just my take. Obviously this whole thing can get take way too far way too fast, but just talking about cameras in specific, and at that in open public places where they're clearly marked, I gots no problems.

I agree, they're are two sides to the camera coin, as it is (or should be) an impartial witness.

What I object to isn't placing cameras in public areas, it's allowing people who aren't members of a law enforcement agency to access them.  For example, would you want someone to be able to see when you leave for work every morning from the camera at the end of your street? I think not, unless you were sure there was no way they could make use of that information and not get caught.  With more power comes a need for more oversight, whether the people with access to that video are police or not.
BU Engineering 2012
Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2009 at 8:38am
Originally posted by jmac3 jmac3 wrote:

Christ I wish it wasn't ROFL_MAO above me, but THIS

Don't worry, I hate you too.
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2009 at 8:41am
And that makes alot of sense, I guess I hadn't looked at it in that light.

I suppose there's no black and white with an issue like this, I just feel that society on a whole is very afraid of evil one world governments and controlled societies that on occasions it overlooks valid options for law enforcement.

And I'll be the first to acknowledge that this whole discussion is a slippery slope and a delicate game of power and responsibility. Really I'm just being the devils advocate here ;P
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2009 at 8:43am
I was responding to pariell btw...iPhone won't let me quote or edit ATM.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic