FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Just in case anyone missed it . . .

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Just in case anyone missed it . . .
    Posted: 24 October 2009 at 12:36pm
. . . Mayumi Heene (balloon boys mom) admits to hoax.

Link

According to the article, they wanted to increase their TV marketability.  This is truly heinous behavior.

Edited by Mack - 24 October 2009 at 12:38pm
High Voltage View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Fire in the disco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Voltage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2009 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by Mack Mack wrote:

. . . Mayumi Heene (balloon boys mom) admits to hoax.

Link

According to the article, they wanted to increase their TV marketability.  This is truly heenous behavior.

Fixed.

Also I read an article on CNN a few days ago about the possible criminal charges they face. Are they still considering the charges?
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2009 at 12:58pm
I thought altering the spelling would be too unsubtle.

Edited:  Because PariellsBack complained down below about not enough "o"s in his life.  Big smile

Edited by Mack - 24 October 2009 at 4:10pm
oreomann33 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Can you say ... ZAZZy?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oreomann33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2009 at 1:28pm
They should have to pay for all the resources they wasted and then they should lose custody of their children for being terrible parents.
ParielIsBack View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
future target of fratricide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2009 at 1:28pm

I thought altering the spelling would be too unsubtle. 

My 4th grade teacher said "If you only learn one thing this year, it should be that 'a lot' is two words".  I'm like that, except with all words.  I don't think the disease is communicable.

Good bad pun though.
BU Engineering 2012
carl_the_sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 7/29, Bad Linky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2009 at 1:37pm

Originally posted by oreomann33 oreomann33 wrote:

They should have to pay for all the resources they wasted and then they should lose custody of their children for being terrible parents.

That would be pretty epic. if I recall correctly, the army had a kiowa helicoptor in the air at the time... not exactly cheap to run.

That would be a lot of money.

<just say no to unnecessarily sexualized sigs>
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2009 at 1:40pm
The Kiowa was probably going to be flying anyway.

We have UH-60's fly across the lake where I rowed in high school every afternoon, and it's not like they need to patrol the middle of New Jersey for invaders or something.
BU Engineering 2012
carl_the_sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 7/29, Bad Linky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2009 at 2:15pm
No, it was part of the hunt for the balloon I beleive.
<just say no to unnecessarily sexualized sigs>
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2009 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by carl_the_sniper carl_the_sniper wrote:

No, it was part of the hunt for the balloon I beleive.

I understand that -- but there is a good chance it flies regularly, so therefore the cost was probably negligible, as it would have been flying anyway.
BU Engineering 2012
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2009 at 3:39pm
Not really the point. "Oh our police were on the clock anyways, so they didn't really waste any time"
Uh yeah you did, if it was supposed to be flying anyways, it had things it was scheduled to do. Their selfishness messed it up. They are being considered for 3 felony charges I believe. Originally it was just a misdemeanor but law enforcement felt that wasn't enough. I don't either, they're BAD parents, idiots, and need a reality check.

I mean come on, did you guys see this?:
http://digg.com/d317l63
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2009 at 4:13pm
New lyrics:

When you turn on the TV

you should see my face.

So I pretended to launch

my kid into space.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2009 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by choopie911 choopie911 wrote:

Not really the point. "Oh our police were on the clock anyways, so they didn't really waste any time"
Uh yeah you did, if it was supposed to be flying anyways, it had things it was scheduled to do. Their selfishness messed it up. They are being considered for 3 felony charges I believe. Originally it was just a misdemeanor but law enforcement felt that wasn't enough. I don't either, they're BAD parents, idiots, and need a reality check.

I mean come on, did you guys see this?:
http://digg.com/d317l63

But it's not like the government is out a ton of cash because of it.

Also, I live in mostly upscale areas in Boston and NJ, but I'm pretty sure most cops outside the inner city are mostly sitting around waiting for stuff like this to happen.  It would also set an awful precedent if they sued them for the cost of the efforts involved.

As a first step, what would it mean for people involved in, say, drunk driving accidents?

Not having to involve litigation is exactly why we have public services.

*EDIT* They should definitely be charged though.  And I would seriously suggest child services does something for their children.  It's horrible that they're willing to use them like that.

Edited by ParielIsBack - 24 October 2009 at 5:05pm
BU Engineering 2012
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2009 at 1:11am
^^^It's quite common up here to charge the idiots that get lost in the mountains for the rescue services involved in getting their dumb butts back to civilization.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2009 at 7:30am
I don't believe there are cops stationed on every 3rd mountaintop up there, though, that's the difference.

Again, I think it would set an extremely bad precedent -- they should be charged criminally.  That's how law enforcement works.  We pay taxes so that public services are available all the time, earning money by responding to accidents or on-purposes shouldn't be a method for them to raise money.
BU Engineering 2012
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2009 at 10:15am
^^^We pay taxes so public services are available all the time for legitimate needs . . .

Edited Addition for PariellsBack:  Note that eye did not use the word "two" in my post; not won thyme, not too thymes, not at all.  I didn't want two due anything that ewe wood find to annoying.  Big smile

Edited by Mack - 25 October 2009 at 10:25am
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2009 at 10:23am
I pneu they were full of hot air the hole time.

Edited by oldpbnoob - 25 October 2009 at 10:24am
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2009 at 12:17pm

^^^We pay taxes so public services are available all the time for legitimate needs . . .

Edited Addition for PariellsBack:  Note that eye did not use the word "two" in my post; not won thyme, not too thymes, not at all.  I didn't want two due anything that ewe wood find to annoying.  Big smile

I LOL'ed.

I guess that is a good point -- but where do you draw the line?  When do we start charging thieves for the cost of the cops who had to chase them?  Our tort system is messed up enough as it is.  Let the legal system handle this.  If they think they need the power to impose fines, then fine.  Pass legislation that allows that.  As far as I know, there isn't legislation that would allow them to require that the cost of the operation be paid back, but I don't know.  It should be kept out of the civil court system though, because the obvious direction for that is overloading it even more than it already is.
BU Engineering 2012
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2009 at 1:43pm
You've made me curious now.  I've always considered the reimbursement for such things (in the case of frauds/hoaxes/stupidity) to be fairly common.  Maybe that is only the case in the places I have been as I had no success googling* an overall policy on it.

*Is this a real word?  (I considered using the term "Yahooing" but it sounds kind of naughty.)
Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2009 at 4:06pm
lol naughty.
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2009 at 4:09pm
I just think PariellsBack doesn't really get what legitimate and illegitimate are.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic