Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTippmann's official stance on First Strike rounds?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Lord Odin View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tippmann's official stance on First Strike rounds?
    Posted: 22 October 2009 at 12:26am
I was wondering what Tippmann's stance is on the First Strike rounds are?  Obviously they are against .50 cal paintballs, and with good reason.  But what about FS rounds?  By its very nature, FS is meant for woodsball.  Most speedball/xball/hyperball/etc are too short for FS to be effective.  Regular paintballs are able to reach the maximum distance and are able to cover the field with high rates of fire.  However, with FS, distance and accuracy are more important.  That implies that "sniping" is actually a possibility and that requires woodsball fields.

For anyone that has seen my First Strike testing videos on YouTube (LordOdin2008), you'll know that its pretty hard to get paintballs to chrono at the same speed as FS rounds.  You have to go out of your way to get it to happen.  Usually, its about 20 fps difference between regular paintballs and FS rounds, even with a similar bore size to paint size ratio.

Paintballs are being made smaller and smaller in size while the FS rounds are nearly .690.  That means that if both are used in the same barrel, that its nearly impossible to chrono at the same speed with both rounds.  If a gun had a dual setup, that would mean 2 different barrels would be required by the vary nature of the rounds being used.  Otherwise neither will achieve the same speed.

I know that Tippmann will never abandon regular paintballs but what about incorporating FS into its lineup?  Whether it be through a dedicated marker or a dual barrel system, does Tippmann have any plans for the rounds?  Have they taken an official stance on them?  Or will they leave it up to Tiberius Arms to be the sole producer of markers for the FS rounds?

Edited by Lord Odin - 22 October 2009 at 12:27am
bravecoward View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
oxymoran

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2009 at 12:28am
I know a guy who knows a guy that has them. 
The Guy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soup Can Guy

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2009 at 12:32am
i feel dumb for not asking Tippmann at TWC, since the team i play with is sponsored by Tiberius.

I can take a guess, since Tiberius is a competing manufacturer.
Lord Odin View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2009 at 11:12pm
It is rather strange that no one outside of Tiberius is producing FS rounds and markers.  I don't know if they hold exclusive rights to the technology but I see no reason why they would oppose other manufacturers adopting it.
The Guy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soup Can Guy

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2009 at 11:16pm
they hold the rights to producing the rounds, and they should never give that up. Though expanding production would reduce costs.

It wouldn't be smart to hold the rights to the mags and adapters though. The money isn't in the parts, its in the rounds.
oldsoldier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Frequent target of infantile obsessives

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2009 at 12:07am
Sharp edges, bare skin...nightmares of the old finned "sniper rounds" that were eventually banned.

Does the casing disintigrate on impact, is it a seperate "skirt" on a standard paintball creating the minie' effect. What are these things?
Lord Odin View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2009 at 12:23am
Originally posted by oldsoldier oldsoldier wrote:

Sharp edges, bare skin...nightmares of the old finned "sniper rounds" that were eventually banned.

Does the casing disintigrate on impact, is it a seperate "skirt" on a standard paintball creating the minie' effect. What are these things?
Usually, you'll get the skirt intact but they do tend to break from time to time.
Monk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2009 at 2:35am
Anyone else get the email about Tippmanns new electropneumatic gun?
/\ /\ \/ \/ < > < > B A START
The Guy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soup Can Guy

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2009 at 3:23am
Originally posted by oldsoldier oldsoldier wrote:

They are poly-ethylene shelled paintballs. They are only half rounds with skirts, half the paint. They break down with sunlight instead of water, so they can use different fills. They can be muzzle loaded, breech loaded with the right gun, or some guns come with conversion kits.

But they ae quite expensive right now, at around $1.25-$1 per round, and a good amount for a conversion kit as well.
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2009 at 7:30am
Originally posted by Monk Monk wrote:

Anyone else get the email about Tippmanns new electropneumatic gun?
Just go to the Tippmann homepage and click on the X7 Phenom.  Looks interesting.  Blow forward design that can be fired electro or mechanically with HPA or CO2.  Most if not all X7 upgrades fit the marker.  Might have to pick one up if I can sneak it past the wifey...
Lord Odin View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2009 at 10:21am
What does the Phenom have anything to do with Tippmann's stance on First Strike rounds?  Please stay on topic people.
oldsoldier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Frequent target of infantile obsessives

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2009 at 11:50am
The old finned "sniper balls" were also $10-12 per 10 rd tube. Had to be breech loaded.

I am just wondering of the exposed skin damage seeing the pointed and sharp looking edges on the skirt.

Looking like the old minie' round of the civil war, the spin imparted on a liguid filled object has to effect the balistics.

The few vids on you tube just show how intensive the loading process is, time in a world of "paint hoses" is at a premium so single round accuracy may be eclipsed by again the "rain" of paintballs fired in an even "indirect" mode.

Even in the world of airsoft looking for a more balistically efficient shape is difficult. There is a "spitzer" type of almost bullet "ball" for the 8mm cartridge type round for the gas powered bolt actions. But the impact energy even at the 390fps is too much for the safety equipment available.

A magazine fed bolt action system for the First Strike rounds may be an option, but the barrel removal sequence is just too long in the game as it stands today.
ParielIsBack View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
future target of fratricide

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2009 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by Lord Odin Lord Odin wrote:

What does the Phenom have anything to do with Tippmann's stance on First Strike rounds?  Please stay on topic people.

Seriously?

Get out.

*EDIT* Also, the Phenom appears to be essentially an e-bolted X7, or am I missing something?

Edited by ParielIsBack - 24 October 2009 at 1:16pm
BU Engineering 2012
__sneaky__ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Voted 2010 Most Improved Forumer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2009 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by ParielIsBack ParielIsBack wrote:

Seriously?

Get out.
New kid obviously doesn't know how this place works.
Lord Odin View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2009 at 12:35pm

Seriously?

Get out.
The Phenom is not FS compatible and has nothing to do with the topic at hand.  If people want to talk about it, then they should discuss it in other threads about it.  If that bothers you, then perhaps you're the one that should leave.
mbro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Original Forum Gangster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2009 at 12:54pm

Seriously?Get out.
The Phenom is not FS compatible and has nothing to do with the topic at hand.  If people want to talk about it, then they should discuss it in other threads about it.  If that bothers you, then perhaps you're the one that should leave.
Haha.

I'm guessing you're fun to hang out with IRL.

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.
ParielIsBack View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
future target of fratricide

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2009 at 1:20pm
Anyone know of a better schematic of the Phenom?  All I can find is the miniscule picture of the internals on the main Phenom page.

Also, their ad is almost decent, I was surprised.  It's like Tippmann is marketing now or something.
BU Engineering 2012
Lord Odin View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2009 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by mbro mbro wrote:

Haha.

I'm guessing you're fun to hang out with IRL.
Ask some people on the Operator Group sites or TechPB.  I'm quite pleasant.  Big smile

Back to the FS, does anyone know if other companies require licensing agreements from Tiberius in order for them to make FS compatible markers?  Hopefully it's not an exclusive deal with Tiberius and other companies, especially Tippmann, have something in the works.  FS is pretty much an exclusive woodsball round and it would only make sense for Tippmann to embrace it.  The only thing (I think) that would be preventing them is some sort of monetary or legal restriction.
Enos Shenk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
~-o@

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2009 at 5:49pm
A paintball discussion getting derailed by discussion of a paintball gun? Yeah, thats actually pretty good for this place. Keep your pants on, as long as people arent breaking into flamewars or interpretive dance its all copacetic.
Eville View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 5/19, Filter-dodge

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2009 at 6:12pm
I managed to get into einsteins just before they closed this afternoon. I was their last customer of the day.  I got an egg, cheddar, and ham wrap.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic