Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tippmann says no to .50 cal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
TinMan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TinMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tippmann says no to .50 cal
    Posted: 11 October 2009 at 12:30pm
I saw this twice now, thought I'd post it.

"Dear Tippmann Customers:

At the recent Paintball Extravaganza in Atlanta, both my staff and I were asked numerous times about Tippmann launching a .50 caliber paintball marker. I want to put an end to the rumors and speculation and assure you that Tippmann is 100% committed to .68 caliber paintball markers. A .50 caliber platform has been announced by a new company but there has been very little information provided on product features and pros & cons for the industry. As industry manufacturers, we should always be driving toward new product innovation and technology as it is the life blood of any consumer goods category. However, until we know more about the .50 caliber platform we remain focused on .68 caliber. Industry manufacturers we have talked to are also in the “wait and see” mode.

Tippmann had a great show in Atlanta as we showcased a number of newly launched .68 caliber products, including the TPX paintball Pistol, the U.S. Army Project Salvo marker and the newly redesigned SL-68 II pump action marker. Our investment in the engineering resources and tooling for these new products should be validation of our continued focus on the .68 caliber platform.

We will continue to support the fields and dealers that sell and market .68 caliber products. As we push the envelope on new marker technology, our goal is to develop markers that will provide better air efficiency, superior range and improved accuracy.

I hope this clears up any confusion, and as always, thank you for your support of Tippmann products. Should you have any questions, feel free to contact your Tippmann sales representative.

Sincerely,

Howard Kosick President "
MeanMan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MeanMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2009 at 4:40pm
Im not sure why everyone thinks .50 is going to happen.

hybrid-sniper~"To be honest, if I see a player still using an Impulse I'm going to question their motives."
TinMan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TinMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2009 at 4:47pm
Yes, the same thing happened with 43.

When I saw the first 50 cal marker posts, the responses were wild.
Some said it was an industry conspiracy to make us buy new guns.
I lol'd.  
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2009 at 6:48pm
Originally posted by MeanMan MeanMan wrote:

Because it already has. Owners of SP already started a line of .50cal markers. Spyder has done the same and several manufactures have announced kits to convert their markers to .50cal. There are discussion threads about it on AO, MCB and PBN.

Edited by oldpbnoob - 11 October 2009 at 6:57pm
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
TinMan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TinMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2009 at 7:13pm
Anyone know of 50 cal loaders being made?

On a different note, I may be able to make a 50 cal mod for my SMG60 if paint becomes available.
MeanMan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MeanMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2009 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by oldpbnoob oldpbnoob wrote:

Originally posted by MeanMan MeanMan wrote:

Because it already has. Owners of SP already started a line of .50cal markers. Spyder has done the same and several manufactures have announced kits to convert their markers to .50cal. There are discussion threads about it on AO, MCB and PBN.

Yeah, I read through a bunch of pages of the PbN one. Some of it was quite amusing.

If that does happen and .68 eventually stops being easy to find, I would quite. For the amount that I play now, it wouldnt be worth rebuying stuff and having the current guns and hoppers be worthless.

They would probably lose a lot of people in the sport.

hybrid-sniper~"To be honest, if I see a player still using an Impulse I'm going to question their motives."
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2009 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by TinMan TinMan wrote:

Anyone know of 50 cal loaders being made?

GI Milsim at least is going to make them, not sure of anyone else.

MM, I would agree. If things go .50 and .68 gets difficult to find/expensive, I am most likely out. Unless CHEAP conversion  kits can be had/made. I don't have the funds to replace my gear, especially if it becomes obsolete and can't be resold.
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
Enos Shenk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
~-o@

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enos Shenk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2009 at 9:26pm
Good for Tippmann. The whole concept is pure idiocy and marketing lies, anyone with any brains knows this.

They claim the .50 ball will magically fly better because its smaller, meaning less wind resistance. Pretty much psuedoscience there, but the for sure thing is it also wont have nearly as much range as a .68 ball. Reducing the size of a sphere drops the weight much faster than cross section, and less weight means it wont fly as far at a given speed.

Of course since the shell will be roughly the same thickness, but the ball is smaller, guess what? More bounces, yay.

The only real benefit I can even think of would be the .18" less bolt travel, making a smaller operating mechanism.
dadew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2009 at 2:38pm
I don't know why everybody is having a such a fit over this .50 cal thing.A bunch of people say they'll quit if there is no more .68,because they say you just can't afford new gear,yet people will drop hundreds of dollars on upgrades and own multiple markers.Now from what I've seen on the new caliber,things look promising.I'm sure someone out there will come out with conversion kits,look at all the accessories and upgrades that there is out there.Hey if the new caliber performs like they say it performs,I'll give it a try.If it means more paint for the same money and more shots per tank then I'm in!

oh by the way,I think tippmann is making a mistake about not jumping on the .50 cal bandwagon,they should at least look into conversion kits....

Edited by dadew - 14 October 2009 at 2:43pm
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2009 at 2:49pm
^^^ Because some of us currently have thousands of dollars into our gear and do not want to have to change and/or convert. Some markers will not convert easily, thus making them useless other than papereights and/or wall hangers. Some of us are at a level of equipment that we like and are essentially able to sell old gear, recoup money and invest in new gear while never really spending much. If all of this gear is suddenly made obsolete and unsellable, we have to reinvest hundreds, and in a lot of cases thousands of dollars on new gear. Considering a few of us, (cough, cough) aren't exactly spring chickens and may not have a lot of years of playing ahead of us anyways, it makes more sense to just hang it up rather than fight the battle.

For the new player with little or no investment, it won't really make much of a difference as they will just throw away their $100 Tippy 98 and buy a Spyder. But losing the ability to use a $500 or $2000 marker, and then suffering the pain of having to replace it might be too much for some of us.
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2009 at 3:13pm
Having seen the range, breakage, and small marking issues that can occur with .50/.40/.43 paint, I don't think this is a good idea.

In fact, since this has the potential to make the sport more like airsoft (where you have to trust your opponent to call every hit) I can see it driving people away from paintball.

Edited by Mack - 14 October 2009 at 3:14pm
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2009 at 7:41pm
I say tippmann breaks the trend an makes a .75 cal paintball marker. Increased range seems bogus to me. A .54 cal round ball has better ballistics than a .50 in a muzzle loader, and larger bore paint has always proven better at range than the smaller stuff. Ammunition capacity and milsim are the only reasons I can think of where a .50 would shine. Maybe if .50 paintballs could be chronoed to a higher velocity, but i think they'd still lose that velocity more quickly than a .68.
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2009 at 7:55pm

The single benefit for me would be that .50 cal would become more widely accepted, allowing me to use the Crosman 3357 im in the process of building.

.68 caliber paint will not die any time soon, and if it does, Ill probably buy a new marker.
__sneaky__ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Voted 2010 Most Improved Forumer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2009 at 1:03am
Originally posted by Enos Shenk Enos Shenk wrote:

They claim the .50 ball will magically fly better because its smaller, meaning less wind resistance. Pretty much psuedoscience there, but the for sure thing is it also wont have nearly as much range as a .68 ball. Reducing the size of a sphere drops the weight much faster than cross section, and less weight means it wont fly as far at a given speed.
This FTW.
Hades View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2009 at 1:33am
Are there already .50 paintball markers available other than Splatmaster? I would like to see one if I can mod it for other purposes.

Edited by Hades - 15 October 2009 at 2:57am

Troopr View Drop Down
strike one/filter dodging-11/09

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Troopr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2009 at 1:48am
I personally hope this .50 cal trend dies quickly... I don't really care what I shoot with I just want consistency... Don't fix it if it isn't broken! Spyder should spend more on making their .68 cal markers more efficient and less time changing the standard.

I'm not saying spyder is a bad company, but come on!

I just got into the game, but I have seen a lot of people that have put thousands of dollars into this game, that would be Pissed! if .50 cal were to become the standard.... heck I only have $500 in the sport... 2 markers w/ extras... and I'm angry.... I'm running of a budget.

I know this won't happen for a while, but I'm a little mad.... I hope they stick to one or the other, and that's what I have to say on this topic, whether anyone cares or not.

My vote: Thumbs Down on .50 cal

Edited by Troopr - 15 October 2009 at 1:48am
<3's Paintball w/
TippMann Alpha Black Tactical Marker
TippMann Project Salvo Marker
After Market E-Trigger
TippMann SSL-200 E-Hopper
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2009 at 2:30am
I was going to say, didn't we go through all of this oh.... 20 or so odd years ago? The .50/.62/.68 caliber debate was settled way back then. I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would want to try and push .50cal. The only reason I can see on the supply side is that it would mean less material to make the paint, but they'd probably sell it at the same price. I seriously doubt they'd start packing more paint into cases as that would actually wind up being MORE materials for the same price. .50cal doesn't break against soft targets as well, doesn't have the range, and doesn't fly any better/straighter than .68
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2009 at 6:39am
Originally posted by Hades Hades wrote:

Are there already .50 paintball markers available other than Splatmaster? I would like to see one if I can mod it for other purposes.

You mean the Crosman 3357? Splatties were .68. :P
Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

Hades View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2009 at 1:47pm
Actually, I meant really meant Splatmatic.

As in:

Splatmatic Pump Action .50 Caliber Paintball Shotgun

or

Palco Sports Splatmatic® Pistolsplat

That Crossman is pretty nice. Any idea of the availability or price on one of those are?

The Crossman would definitely not work for my original intentions of getting a .50 but it looks awesome.

The above shotgun might work but I am hesitant at grabbing it due to the high price point for what I want to use it for.

oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2009 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would want to try and push .50cal. Th
You do realize who some of the main driving forces behind this are don't you? Does it really surprise you that they are trying to reinvent the game on their terms? Hey, lets patent .50cal and make it the standard.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic