Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

$78,000,000.00 of your money, smashed in the moon.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
Author
Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2009 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by CarbineKid CarbineKid wrote:

Originally posted by stratoaxe stratoaxe wrote:

Obama gets the Nobel peace prize and attacks the moon on the same day. These are strange times

/thread

I wanted to post the WKUK Moon Bears video, but it's NSFT. Look it up, you'll lol.

I just looked it up, that was great.
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2009 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by agentwhale007 agentwhale007 wrote:

I'm not sure where I used party lines in my post.

FE = conservative, who apparently going on his post, doesn't like science or intelligence.

Also, conservatives have largely been behind the anti-intelligence movement. From stopping stem-cell research to calling educated people "elitists" in a negative way, and everything in between.

It's not a generalization if it can be documented.

I rarely hear "educated" people called elitists, I hear people who think their bachelor's affords them the ability to dictate the definate standard of right and wrong contradicted. Elitism is incredibly prevalent on both sides of the debate, be it based on education, or moral beliefs / the lack thereof. There are plenty of people even on this forum that feel as soon as the issue involves the word God it becomes null and void, because duh, only morons have imaginary friends. And there are those on here that feel that the Bible somehow nulls out anything that disagrees with it. It's all equal.

And stem-cells =/= intelligence. It's not a black and white issue, there are nay sayers on both sides of the fence. There are very educated people for and against it. Myself I'm neutral, I see no moral wrong in it, and don't know enough about it scientifically to make a judgement. But that doesn't mean that there aren't both pros and cons, it just means I'm big enough to admit I'm not the final verdict.

The "anti-intelligence" movement has people on both sides. There are plenty of liberals who make little to no sense, and support ridiculous ideas. But I'll rename your movement for clarification-it's called the "partisan politics" movement. It's defending or condemning a party instead of the issue, and that is the very epitome of anti-intelligent. It's saying "well that's counter-productive, it must be a conservative idea", or that's the media, so it must be liberal. This crap has got to stop at some point, it's pushed to the point of silliness.

I'm not singling out your post, and I'm not throwing out any of these accusations at you necessarily, it's just this whole trend is making me crazy. Its honestly making me want to not care about politics.
ParielIsBack View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
future target of fratricide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2009 at 6:08pm
Frankly, I think there's a lot of condemnation necessary to overcome the people who think that science should not be taught in schools.
BU Engineering 2012
CarbineKid View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CarbineKid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2009 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by ParielIsBack ParielIsBack wrote:

Frankly, I think there's a lot of condemnation necessary to overcome the people who think that science should not be taught in schools.

Who thinks that?
__sneaky__ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Voted 2010 Most Improved Forumer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2009 at 6:22pm
^In before creationists!
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2009 at 6:32pm
Science =/= Evolution

That's like saying I don't like a camaro so therefore I hate cars.

Creationism is a legitimate, even if far fetched in scientific, theory.

Oh and just an FYI, creationists can believe in evolution. Creationism simply states a Higher Power set things in motion, doesn't necessarily dictate what god or how it was done. So again, you can't generalize Creationists either, as that's a pretty broad blanket.

But then again, I don't want to take this thread into that debate :P.
ThatGuitarGuy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Square Slot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatGuitarGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2009 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by choopie911 choopie911 wrote:

Originally posted by Rofl_Mao Rofl_Mao wrote:

I think it would have been worth the 79 mill if you could actually see the explosion. If you are gunna spend that much money you better use a freaking MOAB or something. Geez.

I know you're kidding but the explosion wasn't the point.

Actually, it kind of was.  The point of smashing the satellite into the satellite was to send up a dust cloud (explosion) from the moon, and then send the second satellite into said dust cloud to see if there was possibly any ice or water in the cloud, which would mean there's water under the moon's surface.
Skillet:     I've never been terribly fond of the look of a vagina
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2009 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by ThatGuitarGuy ThatGuitarGuy wrote:

I think it would have been worth the 79 mill if you could actually see the explosion. If you are gunna spend that much money you better use a freaking MOAB or something. Geez.

Actually, it kind of was.  The point of smashing the satellite into the satellite was to send up a dust cloud (explosion) from the moon, and then send the second satellite into said dust cloud to see if there was possibly any ice or water in the cloud, which would mean there's water under the moon's surface.

Yeah, exactly. The point wasn't "lets make a big boom" it had a scientific purpose. But still people whine
Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2009 at 9:12pm
You accuse people of whining about wanting a huge boom but you don't care? Are you a man?!
Hysteria View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 2 - Language, 9/25

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hysteria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2009 at 9:40pm

Science =/= Evolution

Oh and just an FYI, creationists can believe in evolution. Creationism simply states a Higher Power set things in motion, doesn't necessarily dictate what god or how it was done. So again, you can't generalize Creationists either, as that's a pretty broad blanket.

No, creationism is NOT a scientific theory.  They have not tested their theories by scientific means.  They have not used the scientific method.  Their proof is the Bible and the Bible does not constitute a scientific document.

And no.  "Creationists" are those that think God created the world 6000 years ago.  That dinosaurs roamed with man.  That the Great Flood mixed up all the fossils in the geologic column to give an appearance of age.  One can not believe that we were put here in the advanced state we are in now, 6000 years ago and evolution (at least macroevolution) at the same time.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2009 at 9:45pm

Science =/= Evolution

Creationists try and explain by the use of miracles. Scientists dont do that... sure we use terms like dark matter/dark energy to talk about things we dont fully grasp yet, but we are working on it, we dont just say," jesus did it", then walk away.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2009 at 9:53pm
Originally posted by slackerr26 slackerr26 wrote:

and im sure if the rocket was crashed into a country in the mideast, during a republican presidency you would embrace it with open arms
fixed.
Evil Elvis View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Crusher of Dreams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evil Elvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2009 at 10:23pm
the ship didn't crash... it was Moon Nazis.
Darur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Stare directly into my avatar...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2009 at 10:42pm
Originally posted by mod98commando mod98commando wrote:

neither science nor intelligence support religion and are therefore not favored. Intelligence also tends to get in the way when you want to do things that don't make much sense. 

Where does this perspective come from that religion and science are rivals, or that one cannot be an intellectual and be a <religious affiliation here>?

Thats like saying a porcupine is competing with your blender.

Science is the study of the physical world around us.  Its testable, quantifiable, and based upon physical evidence.  Religion is philosophy, the study of the metaphysical world.  It cannot be proven or tested. The two have nothing to do with each other.  They only conflict when people try to explain ethics with science or the history of life with a book.  

I do agree to an extent with Whale, however.  As of late the Right seems to have sadly decided it needs to reject intellectualism, or at least only let that side of its body talk.
Real Men play Tuba

PH33R TEH 1337 Dwarf!
DONT CLICK ME!!1
CarbineKid View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CarbineKid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2009 at 10:44pm
Originally posted by ThatGuitarGuy ThatGuitarGuy wrote:

Not to pick on you, but I gotta ask...why do we care if theres water on the moon. Our planet is 3/4 water as it is....I'm sure we have enough.
ThatGuitarGuy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Square Slot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatGuitarGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2009 at 10:48pm
Because eventually, Man-kind will have to colonize other planets.  We plan to use the Moon as a stepping stone to reach them.   Water is vital to setting up colonies on the moon, for fresh drinking water, and for hydrogen for the rocket fuel.

Skillet:     I've never been terribly fond of the look of a vagina
Darur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2009 at 10:53pm

Not to pick on you, but I gotta ask...why do we care if theres water on the moon. Our planet is 3/4 water as it is....I'm sure we have enough.

Water can be split into hydrogen and oxygen via electrolysis, then compressed into liquid hydrogen and liquid oxygen to be used to fuel space shuttles for return trips to Earth. It also allows us to take advantage of the moon's much smaller gravitational field and launch shuttles from the moon for much longer voyages, needing much less fuel to take-off. 

Then theres always the whole part where it would be nice to have water for the astronauts.
Real Men play Tuba

PH33R TEH 1337 Dwarf!
DONT CLICK ME!!1
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2009 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by agentwhale007 agentwhale007 wrote:

I'm not sure where I used party lines in my post.

FE = conservative, who apparently going on his post, doesn't like science or intelligence.

Also, conservatives have largely been behind the anti-intelligence movement. From stopping stem-cell research to calling educated people "elitists" in a negative way, and everything in between.

It's not a generalization if it can be documented.

Conservatives have stopped ALL stem-cell research?
brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2009 at 8:43pm
I wonder if anyone at NASA thought to stop and make sure the sensors on the spacecraft were calibrated to detect cheese...
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
Darur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2009 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by brihard brihard wrote:

I wonder if anyone at NASA thought to stop and make sure the sensors on the spacecraft were calibrated to detect cheese...

Somewhere, some engineer in NASA is feeling really dumb right now
Real Men play Tuba

PH33R TEH 1337 Dwarf!
DONT CLICK ME!!1
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
  Share Topic