FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gun Thread v2.0: Norinco SKS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gun Thread v2.0: Norinco SKS
    Posted: 07 October 2009 at 3:18am
Well, my uncle is offering to sell me a still-Cosmolined Norinco SKS (not sure of the specific model) for a VERY reasonable price (~$180). That's quite difficult to turn down, as I've been wanting an SKS for a while. However, I'm left to wonder, how is the fit and finish on these compared to Russian, Yugo or even Romanian SKS's? The function?

Also, I'd like to turn it into a sporting rifle, and knowing that accuracy is NOT what an SKS is known for, what all can I do gunsmithy-wise? Aside from a new stock, what can be polished, replaced, reworked or otherwise tweaked to make it shoot a little better (knowing full well that it won't ever be a tack-driver)?

Tallen and KBK, I'm looking at YOU. :D

But to anyone else, thanks for any advice/tips/help in general!
Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

ShortyBP View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

A G F Y

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortyBP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2009 at 6:30am
A Romanian one might be nicer, given milled parts... but the Chinese SKS shouldn't be a slouch. For $180, in the cosmo, in today's market, that's a good deal.

Russians are probably more sought after.

I had a Yugo 59/66. Nice, sturdy rifle... but I'd have preferred a shorter/lighter SKS model if I did it all over again. The heavier barrel and grenade-launcher up front made the 59/66 ridiculously front heavy. Bought it for $125... sold it for $125.

With no personal experience with the Chinese makes... I do hear they are lighter (for whatever reason), but definitely well made.
Before kitting it out with a new stock and such... clean up all the cosmo and fire it as-is. See how it shoots. Might not need to tweak anything.
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2009 at 7:10am
What he said.

I've got very limited experience with SKS's but I know some people who like theirs.

For deer it should work good as is. I'd personally throw a detachable 30 round mag and some plastic furniture on it, but I don't hunt deer :)'

Jokes aside, for 180, it will make a fine blaster no matter what.

I don't know local laws, but make sure the 7.62x39mm is enough gun for deer. Personally I think it is, but others may disagree.
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2009 at 8:56am
It's a good plinker.  I had one, a Norinco "para" model with a shorter barrel. I don't think it would make a good deer rifle though. Russian ones IMO are the best.  My cousin has 2 captured ones my Uncle brought home from Viet Nam, they shoot great.  accuracy is mehs.
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2009 at 10:50am
I've gotta go with shorty on checking out the condition of the wood before going all "tacti-cool" with a synthetic stock, etc. Personally, I've never had any luck with the detachable mags they make for the SKS. I've never found an instance where they've fit right. That can lead to all kinds of jams, mis-feeds and failed extractions. I prefer to just use stripper-clips and the 10-round internal mag. The problem with trying to outfit a Norinco SKS in a synthetic stock is that you need to either purchase a new gas-tube and hand guard already set up in synthetic, or find a gun-smith who can drive the rivet holding the tube and hand-guard together. It isn't a job for an amateur gunsmith by any means. The only other thing I'd suggest is getting the free-floating firing pin replaced with a spring-loaded one. This will cut down the chance of slam-fires greatly.

But yeah, for that price, not a bad deal at all. They're fun guns and while x39 isn't as cheap as it used to be, it's still fairly inexpensive. Cheapest I've seen on Gunbroker.com for a Norinco is $150 heavily used and most NIB going for around $300 or so.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2009 at 12:19pm
Gunbrokers.com...I have lost interest in them...over pricing...
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2009 at 12:24pm
I wouldn't turn that price down if it's still in the cosmo, but out of the box an SKS is definately at the lower end of the assault rifle market.

That being said a friend of the family has a Norinco that he reworked the trigger on, and did some basic gunsmithing to; it's a dream to shoot.

So really as far as doing work to the gun, take it to your local smithy and have the trigger reworked (or a new one altogether) and you'll have a decent plinker.

Me personally I'd leave it in the cosmo, sell it, and go buy a decent AK-47. I absolutely <3 my Maadi, it's been unbelievably reliable, cheap as hell to shoot, and just alot of fun. You'd probably be able to get 300-400 bucks for a cosmo SKS.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2009 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by Ceesman762 Ceesman762 wrote:

Yes, but that's where almost everyone goes these days to check pricing on used/milsurp firearms. Hence the fact that Mosins are way overpriced at the local shops around here.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2009 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

Yes, but that's where almost everyone goes these days to check pricing on used/milsurp firearms. Hence the fact that Mosins are way overpriced at the local shops around here.

Yep, $50 for a box of 1000 small rifle primers...
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2009 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by Kayback Kayback wrote:

but I don't hunt deer :)'

Oh yeah, in Africa you hunt elephant and lion right?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2009 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by Rofl_Mao Rofl_Mao wrote:

Thompson's gazelle??
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2009 at 4:40pm

Originally posted by Rofl_Mao Rofl_Mao wrote:

Thompson's gazelle??

Man.
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2009 at 5:23pm
"The Most Dangerous Game."

As for my intentions, "Tacti-cool" is aobut 180* from what I want to do. I was hoping to set it up for hunting. Blasting paper for some reason has lost its magic to me. I like to get engaged with what I'm shooting, so hunting, competitions, etc. We all know that competitions aren't going to happen with a Norinco SKS (:P), so I'd like to hunt with it. Common sense says the money dropped on it would be greater than the cost of the rifle, and if I saved I could just get a better rifle, but as with paintball, I like making beaters into performers. I get a feeling of accomplishment. :)

I was looking at this stock. It's as least "evil black rifle" as I could find. :(

ammolord View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ammolord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2009 at 5:23pm
We need a gun pic thread. i hear about all of these gun on here, but nobody has pics.
PSN Tag: AmmoLord
XBL: xXAmmoLordXx

~Minister of Tinkering With Things That Go "BOOM!"(AKA Minister of Munitions)~
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2009 at 5:33pm
This rifle right here (hotlinked from Wiki):

stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2009 at 5:35pm
Yeah that's the same on my dad's friend has. 

It would make a good brush gun for deer, but you'd definitely want to rework the trigger if you want to scope it in.
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2009 at 5:44pm
There ARE examples of sexy SKS's, as few and far between as they may be (more hotlinking):

Does anyone know what stock is on this one?

Monk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2009 at 6:16pm
I <3 my WASR-10. Ammo is decent price, and the size is large enough for some fun. If you are worried about accuracy check youtube for some good comparisons. With a decent mount and scope it can compete.

I just used mine today to destroy a Sony Viao desktop... MMMMmmmmmmm....
/\ /\ \/ \/ < > < > B A START
merc View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
American Scotchy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2009 at 6:26pm
SKS are not designed for scopes and they will generally loose their zero after shooting it a few times (from what i have heard)

my buddy had one in NY and i loved it... cut an old pick up damn near in half...
saving the world, one warship at a time.
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2009 at 6:31pm
I hear rumor that Weaver makes a kit that requires you drill and tap the receiver to mount a scope. The problem with the "stock" scope setups is that the only place to easily mount them are on parts that kinda wiggle around. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic