FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gun Thread v2.0: Norinco SKS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2009 at 8:44pm
So you're planning on taking an in-the-cosmo norinco then drilling holes in it? You've got to be kidding me. Use a scout mount that replaces the rear sight blade or get a gun  smithing-free rear peep if you want better sights.

I have a bone stock laminated Tula that's one of the best rifles I own. If the trigger sucks on your norinco, that's all I'd mess with. The are rugged, decently accurate rifles that are comparable to a .30-30 and need little tweaking.
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2009 at 9:25pm
^^^ Uh, it's a Norinco SKS, not a Winchester 1 of 1,000. As far as I'm concerned, it's the Tippmann 98 of the gun world, and should be treated as such.
Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2009 at 9:27pm
Yeah, I wouldn't drill and tap an in-the-cosmo SKS for a scope mount DeTrevni. That'd be like drilling my BM for an eye.

What merc said holds pretty true. A friend of mine had an SKS with collapsible composite stock, detachable 30rnd mags, and a scope that had to be affixed to the receiver by drill and tap method. The problem he had was that the damned thing has so much shock that the zero on the scope is off usually after just a couple of shots. Besides, if you're hunting anything bigger than coyotes with it, you're going to have to be too close to use a scope given the nature of the 7.62x39 being an intermediate round.

As for uses other than paper punching, there ARE competitions that are open only to weapons used in warfare. If it's been issued to an army and used in war, you can use it in the competition. I think Kayback can tell you more about it.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2009 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by DeTrevni DeTrevni wrote:

^^^ Uh, it's a Norinco SKS, not a Winchester 1 of 1,000. As far as I'm concerned, it's the Tippmann 98 of the gun world, and should be treated as such.

No, that'd be the Ruger 10/22

Chinese SKS' that haven't been effed the heck up are getting rarer and rarer these days DeTrevni.
proteus316 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote proteus316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2009 at 1:39am
Yep, $50 for a box of 1000 small rifle primers...

Wow, I'd hate to see the rest of your shop's prices if its $50 for a box of 1000 small rifle. It's $30 here max.
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2009 at 3:42am
I'm more an more for leaving it as is. Try buy a Lee Enfield .303 in South Africa at the moment that's stock. Every single one has been chopped and had the stock either cut back or replaced with a synthetic one and drilled and tapped. True most of what I'd want to do with an SMLE is make it into my OWN EBR with syntetic stock, but still.

For hunting, I'd check out how it shoots stock. Then maybe check gunsmithing the trigger.

The rest should be pretty much left as stock as you want. The only reason I'd bubba-tacti-cool it is because that's more my style. And that 7.62x39mm is illegal for hunting here. (Mostly anyway, some exceptions)

I'm still desperately trying to get someone to let me shoot a Thomson Gazelle with.... a Thompson. But honestly, Impala and Springbok are about all I'd try take with a 7.62x39mm. Anything else and we are talking a .270/.308 minimum.

KBK

Edited by Kayback - 08 October 2009 at 3:44am
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2009 at 8:57am
Originally posted by proteus316 proteus316 wrote:

Yep, $50 for a box of 1000 small rifle primers...

Wow, I'd hate to see the rest of your shop's prices if its $50 for a box of 1000 small rifle. It's $30 here max.

No, only on Gunbrokers.com, Gander Mountain has them for $24 for 1000.
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2009 at 9:03am
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

As for uses other than paper punching, there ARE competitions that are open only to weapons used in warfare. If it's been issued to an army and used in war, you can use it in the competition. I think Kayback can tell you more about it.

True, there are competitions that allow you to use nearly any service rifle of any country. Most of the guys who use them in these shoots dress up like the NVA or a Soviet soldier.  I have yet to see any place in the top 50% shooting that rifle.
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

ShortyBP View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

A G F Y

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortyBP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2009 at 9:54pm
Please don't drill and tap!

If you're adamant about putting a scope on the SKS... just get the mount that replaces the rear receiver cover... or a scout mount up front that either replaces the rear sight, or a replacement gas tube with mount on it (for scout scope setup).
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2009 at 11:33pm
The other problem with drilling and tapping the receiver on a Norinco SKS or ANY sks for that matter is the fact that the receiver cover wall is so thin, the little grub screws you use to hold the mount on inevitably fall out after a mag or two. Even with blue loctite, those suckers back right on out.
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2009 at 11:36pm
I'm not even sure if I'm going to get this rifle...

I mean, it's a great deal and all, but I don't know if I'm ever going to use it, I don't particularly want to purchase ammo, and I REALLY want a black powder rifle.

I dunno.
Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

slackerr26 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Strike 2 - language, 8/20

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slackerr26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2009 at 11:38pm
man up and buy it
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2009 at 12:47am
DeTrevni, the thing to remember is that the deal you'd be getting on this thing would let you sell it down the road and buy a REALLY nice black powder rifle. Especially if another AWB comes through congress.
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2009 at 2:24am
Hell, it's an SKS. It IS a black powder rifle isn't it :)

If it is already (still) in cosmo, you may as well buy it then bag it and tag it. Not like it's going to rust or anything :)

Who knows, you might want one in 10 years time or something.

I passed up an opportunity to purchase a stock SMLE for R50. (that's like $5 at the time). But because they were like bloody chickens, I didn't. I could always get one later. Now I WANT one, with capitals and they are like chicken's teeth. And they go for R2000.

Even Zimbabwe's inflation can't make the price skip that much in 10 years.

Get one, throw it under the bed (read in a propper safe) until you want it, or want to sell it.

Besides, it'll give you something to shoot while you practice building your BPR.

KBK
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic