FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

We ought to ban hunting...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
jmac3 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2009 at 9:15pm
We KILL them so they don't get in our way and possibly hurt us.

SOUNDS LOGICAL
Que pasa?

Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2009 at 9:41pm
Originally posted by jmac3 jmac3 wrote:

SOUNDS LOGICAL

Kudos on twisting a piece of what I said to make your point then ignoring the rest. Its mildly annoying, but I have time to try again.

1. We thin their numbers to protect them from starvation and malnutrition brought on by human factors as well as natural ones.

2. By eliminating excessive population there are positive effects on humans, such as limiting encroachment of wildlife into residential areas- which could be potentially harmful, to people, as well as the animals themselves. Are these results the REASON we hunt? No, but you can't argue with the results.

How does that escape you? Are you really going to pretend that there is no conceivable way that you could have been mistaken in your 'hunting is useless' claim? If that's the case, then let me know so I can facepalm now and be done with it.

Edited by Reb Cpl - 30 September 2009 at 9:42pm

Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2009 at 9:42pm
I think hes inferring that deer should have more of a right to live than humans.
jmac3 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2009 at 9:47pm
Originally posted by Reb Cpl Reb Cpl wrote:

SOUNDS LOGICAL

Kudos on twisting a piece of what I said to make your point then ignoring the rest. Its mildly annoying, but I have time to try again.

1. We thin their numbers to protect them from starvation and malnutrition brought on by human factors as well as natural ones.

Do we thin our numbers to protect us from starvation and malnutrition?

2. By eliminating excessive population there are positive effects on humans, such as limiting encroachment of wildlife into residential areas- which could be potentially harmful, to people, as well as the animals themselves. Are these results the REASON we hunt? No, but you can't argue with the results.

No I can't argue with results. They are not the reason therefore hunting is useless. Thank you.

How does that escape you? Are you really going to pretend that there is no conceivable way that you could have been mistaken in your 'hunting is useless' claim? If that's the case, then let me know so I can facepalm now and be done with it.

Go ahead facepalm.

Que pasa?

jmac3 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2009 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by Rofl_Mao Rofl_Mao wrote:

I think hes inferring that deer should have more of a right to live than humans.

....No
Que pasa?

Eville View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 5/19, Filter-dodge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2009 at 10:00pm
Think about that for a second Jmac.  How would we hurt them without hunting them?  With our cars.  spend less than a dollar on a bullet to kill it, or spend thousands of dollars in auto repairs and health costs to kill it.  How is that not logical?
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2009 at 10:02pm

Originally posted by Reb Cpl Reb Cpl wrote:

SOUNDS LOGICAL

Do we thin our numbers to protect us from starvation and malnutrition?

You skipped the section where I mentioned donating the meat to less fortunate families didn't you?
Its becoming a pretty common practice.

No I can't argue with results. They are not the reason therefore hunting is useless. Thank you.

Actually, if anything, this proved that hunting has more uses than the initial "gather food" which has become largely obsolete as a necessity since the introduction of industrialized food production. More uses than we originally thought.

Go ahead facepalm.

I did. Thank you.

Like it or not, you are mistaken this time.

Edited by Reb Cpl - 30 September 2009 at 10:03pm

jmac3 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2009 at 10:08pm
You can buy 5 cans of food for a dollar.

Donate that it is cheaper and lasts longer. Places that take donations would prefer stuff that isn't fresh.

Eville, what are you talking about?
Que pasa?

Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2009 at 10:20pm

Donate that it is cheaper and lasts longer. Places that take donations would prefer stuff that isn't fresh.

Ever been to a soup kitchen or seen one of those food pantries that will offer meals for people around the holidays? They make do with, and are pretty darn happy to get fresh meat. Every year, thousands of turkeys harvested during hunting season are donated for people who cannot afford to buy such things for holiday dinners. You can't even pretend to tell me that those people would rather a can of Hormel chili over fresh meat.

__sneaky__ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Voted 2010 Most Improved Forumer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2009 at 10:23pm

Do you have any idea how much food you get out of a deer? 5 cans of food is nothing.

And no, we don't thin our own numbers as humans. Deer arn't humans. Plus, if we did, natural selection tells us you wouldn't be here to argue with us anymore.
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2009 at 10:24pm
I'll just leave this here.
http://www.venisondonation.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=frontpage&Itemid=1

"Since 1999, the Venison Donation Coalition has been highly successful in its goal to feed the hungry throughout New York State. They have processed 337.51 tons of highly nutritious venison or the equivalent of 2,700,800 meals served. In order for this program to continue and flourish, the Venison Donation Coalition is seeking financial donations."

Yeah, hunting is useless alright....that's 2.7 million meals that wouldn't have been had by people who needed them.

Edited by Reb Cpl - 30 September 2009 at 10:27pm

DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2009 at 10:34pm
Sometimes I wish humans WERE population controlled...
Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

mbro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Original Forum Gangster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2009 at 11:09pm
Deer and other animals have no way of developing new technologies to harvest their own food. There's no deer norman bourlough running around. This means they have a a set number that can be sustained by their current food supply. It's better to maintain the species by keeping a sustainable population than to let hem kill themselves.
Originally posted by DeTrevni DeTrevni wrote:

Also, jmac = dirty hippy.

/me high fives reb.

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.
__sneaky__ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Voted 2010 Most Improved Forumer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2009 at 11:21pm
Originally posted by DeTrevni DeTrevni wrote:

QFT
Eville View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 5/19, Filter-dodge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2009 at 11:37pm

in response to

SOUNDS LOGICAL

Monk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2009 at 12:38am
Just to throw in the fact that not evertime you hit a deer with a car it dies within a reasonably humane time. Sometimes they break legs and run off only to die a few weeks later from starvation or by a cougar( I picked cougar cause it sounded neat). Either way, very painful.
/\ /\ \/ \/ < > < > B A START
Toshiki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toshiki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2009 at 1:08am
You guys are also forgetting that hunting is a great recreational industry that has flourished reguardless of our crappy economy. Tons of people would lose their jobs if we didn't have a need for rifles and hunting equipment. Banning hunting is the last thing we need.
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2009 at 1:11am
I'm pro-hunting, but I like playing devil's advocate.

That said, that (^^^) is not a very good argument. Not every hunter hits the vital spots and drops the deer. Sometimes they bleed out. It's not always fast. Also, bow hunting.
Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

Monk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2009 at 1:13am
I realize that, but it just seemed that everyone had forgotten that point.
/\ /\ \/ \/ < > < > B A START
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2009 at 1:37am

SOUNDS LOGICAL

Just out of curiosity, what is your alternative solution to preventing the urban encroachment, starvation and disease issues that result from deer overpopulation?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic