FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

We ought to ban hunting...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Eville View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 5/19, Filter-dodge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2009 at 4:01pm
define game hunting then
__sneaky__ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Voted 2010 Most Improved Forumer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2009 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by jmac3 jmac3 wrote:

What a dumbass video.

I agree though. Hunting is useless.
Here in missouri, if you don't hunt dear, they overpopulate, starve, and die of disease.
More deer related car accidents also occur.
We have way too many of those as it is.
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2009 at 4:07pm
Props to Eville for finishing the quoteThumbs Up

animal-vehicle collisions

Quick breakdown of statistics and costs:

1-1.5 million crashes involving deer in the US per year
1 Billions dollars in damages
165 human fatalities

Not factoring in cost of treating injured or loss due to crop damage, or health care costs from lyme's disease.

In a purely monetary sense it's useful, not to mention that it provides lean organic meat not filled with antibiotics and artificial hormones.

Hunting and fishing helps the economy

TLDR: sportsman spent $76 billion nationwide in '07, create 31k jobs in GA alone

Maybe Barack Obama said it better

You know those wild turkeys that are everywhere in MA? Hunting license paid to have them reintroduced since they were practically extinct in the area.

Game Hunting=

Edited by rednekk98 - 29 September 2009 at 4:09pm
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2009 at 4:37pm
Never got how hunting or fishing qualified as sports. I think they should even the odds and only allow hunters to use knives or clubs. Now THAT would be sporting.
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2009 at 5:18pm
i can't imagine the deer problems we'd have if hunting didn't exist. 

plus venison is just plain wonderful.

Edited by procarbinefreak - 29 September 2009 at 5:18pm
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2009 at 5:50pm
Here's a great quote from a member of MCB when I made a thread about black powder shooting:

Originally posted by a guy from MCB a guy from MCB wrote:

I realize that, but that's not why I hunt. I can drive to the supermarket easily enough if I need meat. It's a personal thing I suppose but I don't hunt for meat alone, and I would never hunt for trophies. One of the most beautiful things I saw was the first snowfall of the year starting right at sunrise. In 4 hours it slowly went from fall to winter. Personally, I think if you're only out there to kill a deer you're missing the point.

I hunt with a bow for the same "spiritual" reason...I've been into archery since I was in kindergarten. Oh, and the archery season in RI is 4 solid months long. You won't catch me in the woods though during gun week though, that's when all the hunters who want it easy show up. Avoiding the drunken idiots is a definite bonus.

Hunting, to me, is on par with camping and hiking. Get out in nature, play with guns and get some great meat. I see nothing wrong with this. :)

Edited by DeTrevni - 29 September 2009 at 5:52pm
Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

Monk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2009 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by __sneaky__ __sneaky__ wrote:

What a dumbass video.

Here in missouri, if you don't hunt dear, they overpopulate, starve, and die of disease.

Exactly what I was going for when I asked him where he lives. Missouri learned their lesson when the limited hunting which cause a form of mad cow disease in deer. Plus deer jerky = yummy time.
/\ /\ \/ \/ < > < > B A START
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2009 at 6:38pm

Why does everyone think I am always trolling?

Because nobody could actually be as obtuse as you pretend to be when presented with facts, citations and logic that indicate you're probably wrong.

Example (semi-quoted from someone's sig):  "Vehicular homicide isn't homicide just because some law says it is."  jmac3

If I'd realized you were serious I would have paid more attention to your arguments; or at least been more sympathetic.

Edit related to final line:  I feel bad now about some of the responses I gave based on the assumption you were trolling.

Edited by Mack - 29 September 2009 at 6:40pm
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2009 at 6:44pm
In this part of Ohio, missing school for the beginning of deer season is considered an excused absence...
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2009 at 6:51pm
To add to that, the MT university system will probably adding a fall break (similar to spring break) to coincide with the beginning of hunting season.

Edit:  For the sake of clarity, I should specify that I don't hunt.  However, there are a lot of things I don't do; the fact that I am not interested in them does not automatically make them useless.

2nd Edit:  Hey, there's that sig I mentioned!

Edited by Mack - 29 September 2009 at 6:53pm
jmac3 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2009 at 7:13pm
Mack, I don't even want to get started on that quote again.

You people are obtuse for not understanding what I mean by that quote.
Que pasa?

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2009 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by Monk Monk wrote:

Originally posted by __sneaky__ __sneaky__ wrote:

What a dumbass video.

Exactly what I was going for when I asked him where he lives. Missouri learned their lesson when the limited hunting which cause a form of mad cow disease in deer. Plus deer jerky = yummy time.
Deer jerky is possibly the best thing to have ever been put into a jerky form.
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2009 at 8:16pm

I'll agree that hunting is, as a necessity, useless in most parts of the country. It's cheaper, healthier, and generally better tasting just to buy your meat.

But as someone in this thread already pointed out (sorry don't feel like reading this stuff again...), man has his place in the food chain as well, and by not fulfilling that obligation I'm sure there's some form of negative impact to be had.

That being said, it all goes back to the point of not being necessary =/= not being legal. Hunting has been a tradition in alot of families (including my own) for decades, and what right does anyone have to take that away from future generations?

Besides, if you just sit back and let continued overpopulation of humanity keep going, you won't have to worry about hunting for the next century.

We need someone to take care of our population...

Eh?
Benjichang View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I pwned Leroy Jenkins!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjichang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2009 at 4:07pm

Mack, I don't even want to get started on that quote again.

You people are obtuse for not understanding what I mean by that quote.
YOU PEOPLE?!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2009 at 4:55pm
What do you mean YOU people!? Angry
High Voltage View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Fire in the disco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Voltage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2009 at 5:07pm
WABBIT SEASON!!
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2009 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by High Voltage High Voltage wrote:

WABBIT SEASON!!

I just you-tubed those cartoons for a laugh or two. Classic.

Hunting is far from useless. Consider the environmental positives that result from hunting. If an area is capable of effectively feeding a population of 100 deer, what do you do when the herd reaches 200 or 300 deer because of overcrowding due to development or a 'productive' year for the animals? Now instead of having 100 animals living comfortably, you've got 300 competing for food and possible starvation and malnourishment can ensue. Would you rather 50 or 100 animals removed by hunters, with their meat going on tables (in some cases, donated to less fortunate families) or 300 animals starving and making their way into populated areas where they run the risk of running into cars, eating crops, and pooping on your lawn?

Also, Rednekk: +100 for the C&H reference.

jmac3 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2009 at 8:48pm
So we help our overpopulation of areas by depleting their numbers?

Sounds logical.
Que pasa?

Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2009 at 8:50pm
What overpopulation?
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2009 at 9:11pm

So we help our overpopulation of areas by depleting their numbers?

Sounds logical.

In order to prevent their numbers from growing to the point of being dangerous to humans, as well as detrimental to the health of their own population, yes, we thin their numbers.

It is logical.

Its the same idea as culling Elephant herds in Africa, though on a smaller scale. 

Edited by Reb Cpl - 30 September 2009 at 9:13pm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic