Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Project Salvo with a side of smoke

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Luc McCloud View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luc McCloud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Project Salvo with a side of smoke
    Posted: 24 September 2009 at 6:44pm
Well, Got my salvo, fired the sucker, and I'm happy, its very accurate. But the problem is, yup, I got liquid Co2 coming in the chamber! It smokes and sometimes the liquid even escapes from the rear bolt.

I dont have money to buy a Expansion chamber (and god knows that probably would help), and I have no clue what a anti-siphon tank is or if I have one. I just have a 20oz pure energy co2 tank.

At most, I have 25$ to upgrade, so if someone can recommend a extremely cheap part to fix it, I cant upgrade.

I wanna know if theres anything I can do to fix it.

btw, I fired it in the rain and it smoked. It smoked on a clear 70F day, and it smoked on 3 different tanks.
The "Arctic Fox"; Insanity at its Finest!

Since only experts and veterns can give their opinions and nobody listens to those who are new, I'll just leave and make everyone happy.
Enos Shenk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
~-o@

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enos Shenk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2009 at 6:52pm
Have you chrono'd it? If its shooting the right speed and decently consistent its nothing to worry about.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luc McCloud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2009 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by Enos Shenk Enos Shenk wrote:

Have you chrono'd it? If its shooting the right speed and decently consistent its nothing to worry about.

I dont have a chonometer, but it doesnt matter how much I move the velocity screw it lets out the same ammount of liquid and smoke.

short of disassembly to make sure no rings are busted, I've tried many things.

Since only experts and veterns can give their opinions and nobody listens to those who are new, I'll just leave and make everyone happy.
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2009 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by Luc McCloud Luc McCloud wrote:

I dont have a chonometer, but it doesnt matter how much I move the velocity screw it lets out the same ammount of liquid and smoke.

That's because it is essentially releasing the same amount of propellant with every shot because of the way the stock Tippmann velocity adjuster works.

There's really no point in disassembly until you are certain there is a problem.  Measuring velocity is the best/quickest way to determine this.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luc McCloud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2009 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by Mack Mack wrote:

Originally posted by Luc McCloud Luc McCloud wrote:

That's because it is essentially releasing the same amount of propellant with every shot because of the way the stock Tippmann velocity adjuster works.

There's really no point in disassembly until you are certain there is a problem.  Measuring velocity is the best/quickest way to determine this.

If the velocity screw doesnt affect the amount of Co2 released into the gun, then how would chronoing the gun help in any way?

oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2009 at 2:36pm
Because as Enos states, if it is capable of shooting at the correct FPS and has consistency, it isn't a problem. Typically, if you have a blown and O-ring, you will know it.

If you are looking for a cheap expansion chamber, look into a remote. They can act as an expansion chamber and can usually be had for $25-30. Of course, it would require that you have a pod pack that has a tank pocket...
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luc McCloud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2009 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by oldpbnoob oldpbnoob wrote:

Because as Enos states, if it is capable of shooting at the correct FPS and has consistency, it isn't a problem. Typically, if you have a blown and O-ring, you will know it.

If you are looking for a cheap expansion chamber, look into a remote. They can act as an expansion chamber and can usually be had for $25-30. Of course, it would require that you have a pod pack that has a tank pocket...

yea, cheapest line is 30$ and a expansion chamber for a 98 would be 40$... And I wouldnt know how to install it (being the expansion chamber) on salvo.

And its firing consistantly from what I see, it just is litterally spitting liquid Co2 from the rear bolt while releasing alot of smoke..

Edited by Luc McCloud - 25 September 2009 at 7:22pm

Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2009 at 11:44am
^^^If this is really an issue to you and you have access to a chronograph (someone else's, at a field, etc.) you could probably find a spring kit within your price range.  If you chose to do this, you would want to try a lighter spring (which would release less propellant) and see if you could still reach adequate playing velocity. 

The downside to this suggestion would be that a weaker spring might not release enough CO2 so you would have spent money on a spring kit you don't need.  Another downside is that you might have to put a heavier spring back in as it gets colder if you plan on continuing to play because of the temperature sensitive nature of CO2.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luc McCloud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2009 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by Mack Mack wrote:

^^^If this is really an issue to you and you have access to a chronograph (someone else's, at a field, etc.) you could probably find a spring kit within your price range.  If you chose to do this, you would want to try a lighter spring (which would release less propellant) and see if you could still reach adequate playing velocity. 

The downside to this suggestion would be that a weaker spring might not release enough CO2 so you would have spent money on a spring kit you don't need.  Another downside is that you might have to put a heavier spring back in as it gets colder if you plan on continuing to play because of the temperature sensitive nature of CO2.

I'll look into this next paycheck then, I need to try to put a expansion chamber on it first see if it fixes the issue.

Maybe its just the type of tank too, I mean, I tried all 3 pure energy tanks and same issues..

Maybe I just try to refund my money for the Co2 tank and just get a HPA tank?

or am I just tightening the Co2 tank too much (pin pushes further in the tank thus more co2 released?)

SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2009 at 2:09pm
Screwing in the tank does not make a difference. I would reccomend a expansion chamber unless you feel like buying HPA
DVLCHLD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVLCHLD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2009 at 9:35am
Wear the tank vertically on a vest or belt and use a remote line. This will keep the tank vertical and CO2 out of the marker. I use a simple low cost tach belt with a tank pouch. I've bought several remote lines online for $10.00-$15.00 shipped and the belt and pouch cost me $10.00.

I never recommend using a CO2 tank on the marker. If you just have to use the tank on the marker I would get HPA. I know for alot of people like myself HPA just isn't convienient because of the cost of the tanks, availabilty of fills, and the low shot count per tank.
I've never seen anyone own the woods because of what marker they use.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic