Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Yallo, new guy here

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Luc McCloud View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luc McCloud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yallo, new guy here
    Posted: 11 September 2009 at 8:37pm
I'm hoping I'm not busting the rules on my first post, but lets give this a whirl.

New to the sport, with no knowledge. I'm about to make my first purchase, and perhaps this is what makes this a perfect place to post this

The setup I wanna get is the following;

Project Salvo
14" Sniper Barrel
20oz Co2 Tank
Gravity Fed hopper (the el-cheapo)

I've heard good things bout salvo, and also realize that its a newer gun, just barely over a year old (correct me if I'm wrong). I want to know if this would be a good purchase.

I'm choosing Salvo for various reasons. The cosmetics are beautiful, the folding stock has many uses, I can fold it for CQC, and for woods I can leave it out. Not to mention its telescopic so thats another plus. I heard Salvo can have the E-Trigger or Response Trigger installed, not to mention it looks to be compatible with most 98 Custom/Pro accessories (please do note that I say "most"). finally, it seems to be a reliable gun with a good balance and weight (some claim it to be too heavy, but I like it as is)

-------------------

The 14" barrel.. Well, I'm getting it because of cosmetics, but the adantage is that its a good barrel from what I hear. That, and 14" should be as high as I should go (refering to "Paint Ball Basics 101" topic). Best par is that it adds only a few inches to the over all length, so not a huge con.

-------------------

Gravity Fed Hopper..... No particular reason other than I cant afford a cyclone system. Or any other system for that matter.

-------------------

20oz Co2 Tank, simply because the value. 900+ shots for 26$, or 16$ for a 9oz tank. I think I'll go with the 20.

My budget ultimately is 300$, and my local shop has a TON of tippmann accessories, and anything he doesnt have, he can order. So I was wondering if there were any alterations anyone would recommend.
The "Arctic Fox"; Insanity at its Finest!

Since only experts and veterns can give their opinions and nobody listens to those who are new, I'll just leave and make everyone happy.
TinMan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TinMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2009 at 10:01pm

Excellent choice. Tippmann really did a nice job on the Salvo. The stock is ++

It's great that you researched your barrel first and decided on 14". Kudos

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luc McCloud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2009 at 10:15pm
hehe, thanks ^^ yea, I have that little annoying quality that before I start anything I severely research my product.

I mean, sure, I could go with a spyder for like 20$ more, but they have higher maintenence, are smaller, personally they look ugly to me, and just rub me wrong on so many levels.

Salvo is practically based on the 98 series, which are fondly refered as "tanks" (one even told me he could take a sledgehammer to it XD), not to mention looks great, is cheaper, and it seems to be just plug and play. The quick thread (coarse threading) is nice for quick changes, or cleanings, and imo more durable and secure than fine threading. The gun has a ceramic feel to it aswell ( I heard the barrel is ceramic.), which adds to its ruggedness and weight.

as mentioned, its a bit heavy being about 7 pounds after all the Co2, paint, and the gun itself (BEFORE upgrades x.x), but me, I like that. adds to the realism.

The only annoyance for me is the Co2 tank. I am considering a 9 oz only cuz then it wont feel as akward under my arm as a 20 oz. (I cant afford a 35$ remote line)

I hope to get accuracy with salvo, planting shots within 6" @ 100+ft. If I can fire 8 shots a sec with that accuracy, I'll be happy in any scenario.

I'm not considering a cyclone hopper because I dont need that kind of refire. Also, since I'm not firing too fast, I dont need that kind of agitation in the hopper.

As mentioned though, the barrel is about 80% cosmetic reasons, 20% performance. When I saw a 98 custom pro with that barrel, I instantly fell in love.

I just need to get arctic camo now to complete my whole look =P I live in ohio, we dont have many oprotunities to use arctic camo, but I'm refered to as the Arctic Fox round here. Its a little pun on Rommel's nickname "The Desert Fox". This just will make em laugh.

But for Play, I DO have a actual US Army Field Jacket. Its pretty thick, and woodlant camo with a camoed hood. Very nice for paintball. just need to find out how to wash it.

Speaking of camos, I hate Digital Camo. I hear its the stuff now, and its presumably better than our old stuff, but I hate it. in my opinion, it doesnt work as well (I mean, the old stuff is harder for me to see in woodland than the new stuff), and costs a bit more.

But enough ranting for now =P

EDIT: I may, depending on my interest in this, buy a 98 custom pro next year and do that 1921 Thompson mod to it. I just need to find materials and such v.v But it'll look sooooo awesome. Then I can wear my fedora and trenchcoat to battle XD

Edited by Luc McCloud - 11 September 2009 at 10:19pm

Since only experts and veterns can give their opinions and nobody listens to those who are new, I'll just leave and make everyone happy.
MeanMan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MeanMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2009 at 11:05pm
Where in Ohio at you? There are a couple of us.

hybrid-sniper~"To be honest, if I see a player still using an Impulse I'm going to question their motives."

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luc McCloud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2009 at 11:06pm
Originally posted by MeanMan MeanMan wrote:

Harrison, lil ol cattle town in the middle of a giant cornfield =P

TinMan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TinMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2009 at 11:32pm
Originally posted by MeanMan MeanMan wrote:

lol. Maybe even more LOL

I went a wedding in Columbus? Thought it was a great trip sans Buffalo.
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2009 at 2:52am
Originally posted by Luc McCloud Luc McCloud wrote:

I mean, sure, I could go with a spyder for like 20$ more, but they have higher maintenence, are smaller, personally they look ugly to me, and just rub me wrong on so many levels.

Spyders aren't bad markers, but I tend to agree that Tippmanns are better for most of the reasons you listed.  (Haven't had maintenance issues with Spyders, but the Spyder clones are a different story.)

Salvo is practically based on the 98 series, which are fondly refered as "tanks" (one even told me he could take a sledgehammer to it XD),

I don't know about the sledgehammer, but Tippmann's are hard to damage.

not to mention looks great, is cheaper, and it seems to be just plug and play. The quick thread (coarse threading) is nice for quick changes, or cleanings, and imo more durable and secure than fine threading. The gun has a ceramic feel to it aswell ( I heard the barrel is ceramic.), which adds to its ruggedness and weight.

I haven't heard anything about the barrel being ceramic impregnated on these but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.  The ceramic impregnation does not add strength but it does (at least in the case of the J&J barrels) allow them to "self clean" when a break occurs.

as mentioned, its a bit heavy being about 7 pounds after all the Co2, paint, and the gun itself (BEFORE upgrades x.x), but me, I like that. adds to the realism.

The only annoyance for me is the Co2 tank. I am considering a 9 oz only cuz then it wont feel as akward under my arm as a 20 oz. (I cant afford a 35$ remote line)

You probably wouldn't be happy with a 9 oz. CO2 tank.  You are only going to get around 400 shots out of it in optimal conditions and could, depending upon ambient temperature and rate of fire, get significantly less.  If you don't like the 20 oz. you could check out the aluminum 16 oz. tanks which might feel less awkward while still allowing more shots per fill.

I hope to get accuracy with salvo, planting shots within 6" @ 100+ft.

I doubt you will get that kind of accuracy; paintball guns in general just aren't that accurate.  (Paintballs are actually very unsuitable projectiles.) 

If I can fire 8 shots a sec with that accuracy, I'll be happy in any scenario.

You may be able to get 8 bps, but you will be pushing your luck to avoid chopping with a standard gravity fed hopper.  There are some gravity fed hoppers with "channels" for the paintballs that seem to feed better than the normal hoppers but I am pulling a blank on the name.

I'm not considering a cyclone hopper because I dont need that kind of refire. Also, since I'm not firing too fast, I dont need that kind of agitation in the hopper.

A break/chop can occur even at the slowest rate of fire.  All that has to happen is for a ball to hang up in the hopper at the wrong time.

As mentioned though, the barrel is about 80% cosmetic reasons, 20% performance. When I saw a 98 custom pro with that barrel, I instantly fell in love.

Be warned:  Just because a barrel has "sniper" in the name does not necessarily make it more accurate.

MeanMan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MeanMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2009 at 12:00pm
I don't think Ive heard of Harrison. I'm in a suburb of cleveland. Nice and boring.

hybrid-sniper~"To be honest, if I see a player still using an Impulse I'm going to question their motives."

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luc McCloud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2009 at 1:21pm

Be warned:  Just because a barrel has "sniper" in the name does not necessarily make it more accurate

I'm not buying it because of the name "sniper". If I wanted more range, I'd go flatline. If I wanted more accuracy, I'd go Straightline (correct if I am wrong). as mentioned, its 80% for cosmetics, 20% for performance, compared to the stock salvo barrel.

Furthermore, My whole point to the revious statements in spyder vs tippmann is that tippmanns generally are like AKs, where Spyders are like M-4s; Both shoot, and both kill, but the AK is more reliable and requires much less maintenence, where the M-4 is probably more accurate and consistant, but requires more things to be done with them.

and Harrison is in the south west corner of ohio. We're practically on the boarder of Ohio, Indiana, and Kentucky.

choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2009 at 9:43pm
Welcome, hope you enjoy your stay.
Evil Elvis View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Crusher of Dreams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evil Elvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2009 at 11:03pm
Digital Cammo while weird looking, its really way more effective. http://www.hyperstealth.com/digital-design/index.htm

Picking effective camouflage varies greatly with your terrain. While here in the Northeast US Marine Corps MARPAT pattern and US Woodland are king. I also use a Russian Tiger Stripe pattern in the Late Summer early fall.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luc McCloud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2009 at 11:19pm
Originally posted by Evil Elvis Evil Elvis wrote:

Digital Cammo while weird looking, its really way more effective. http://www.hyperstealth.com/digital-design/index.htm

Picking effective camouflage varies greatly with your terrain. While here in the Northeast US Marine Corps MARPAT pattern and US Woodland are king. I also use a Russian Tiger Stripe pattern in the Late Summer early fall.

To most people it looks more effective, and it probably is, but just to me it isnt <.< Does that mean I'm retarded or something? XD

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic