Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Facts About ObamaCare, What you need to know...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
jmac3 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2009 at 4:07pm
Shocked about what? He didn't say "We are obligated to not include tort reform" they said they didn't want to take on lawyers.

I don't even see why you and everyone like you make it such a big issue. You want to pay people less money when they are injured and win a suit? I'll be sure to remind you ever lose a limb or any other injury.
Que pasa?

FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2009 at 4:13pm
Well... Since George Washington didn't say that then I would guess it would be him.

I think the quote you wanted to reference was;

As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquillity, of Musselmen; and as the said States never have entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mehomitan nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.

Which is the treaty of tripoli and was written by Joel Barlow... But, don't let the facts get in the way of a good canuck.
They tremble at my name...
Peter Parker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Parker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2009 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by FreeEnterprise FreeEnterprise wrote:

And the truth comes out as to why tort reform isn't in the bill...

The Liberals who wrote the bill, are beholden to the trial lawyers, and unions. I'm shocked, who would have thought...

I don't think there is much doubt that Democrats oppose "tort reform" for reasons that include political contributors.

But I still don't see why award caps have any place in a healthcare reform bill.  It wouldn't do much good in terms of cost-cutting.  Certainly not enough to justify the attention it's getting.

Edited by Peter Parker - 28 August 2009 at 5:25pm

"E Pluribus Unum" does not mean "Every man for himself".

Pop Quiz: What do all the Framers of the Constitution have in common?
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2009 at 10:11am
Then why not just institute tort reform in the method of "loser pays"...

And yes it would drop costs... the single largest cost any doctor has is his liability insurance. Are you seriously pretending that is not the case, peter?...

I come from a large family of doctors, and many of my friends are very well renownded medical doctors, some of the best in the world.
They tremble at my name...
Peter Parker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Parker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2009 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by FreeEnterprise FreeEnterprise wrote:

Then why not just institute tort reform in the method of "loser pays"...

We discussed that in another thread - a loser pays all costs system would certainly be a significant change in our legal system.  Whether that is a change we would want is an entirely different matter. 

And, of course, this type of change would not only apply to medical malpractice cases, but to the court system as a whole.  Are we really prepared for a loser pays system for all litigation?

Quote And yes it would drop costs...

No, not really - not significantly, anyway.  The total cost of malpractice litigation is a tiny fraction of the costs of the healthcare system.  And even the most brutal tort reform would not eliminate malpractice costs, but only shrink it a little.  So you are going to make a small reduction in a tiny cost factor, and expect major results.

Not likely.

As I have said earlier, many health insurance companies spend a lot more money suing each other than they spend defending malpractice suits.

Quote the single largest cost any doctor has is his liability insurance. Are you seriously pretending that is not the case, peter?...

No pretending needed - it's just false.

It may be true for some doctors some places, but for most physicians their biggest costs will be their equipment, salaries for their employees/support staff, and their real estate.  Salaried physicians don't see all of those costs, but private practice physicians certainly do.

And moreover, of course, it is irrelevant.  Doctors complain about malpractice insurance premiums because it comes out of their pocket.  Add up all the malpractice insurance premiums in the country and it is a tiny portion of the overall cost of the healthcare system.

Reducing the cost of healthcare insurance premiums would reallocate some wealth (to the physicians), but would not really lower the overall cost of care.

The whole "zomg malpractice insurance premiums" is a sop to the AMA.  Nothing else.

"E Pluribus Unum" does not mean "Every man for himself".

Pop Quiz: What do all the Framers of the Constitution have in common?
mod98commando View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mod98commando Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2009 at 1:23am
Wow, I thought this badboy died but apparently it's not only alive but 7 pages strong.
oreomann33: Everybody invades Poland
Rofl_Mao: And everyone eats turkey
Me: But only if they're hungary
Mack: Yeah but hungary people go russian through their food and end up with greece on everyth
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
  Share Topic