Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

HPA Tank Regulator Help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Teron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HPA Tank Regulator Help
    Posted: 10 August 2009 at 11:31pm
Hey,
I'm not sure if this is a huge problem or not, but I would rather play it safe. While attempting to unscrew my Pure Energy 3000psi tank from my A5, I was actually unscewing the regulator from the tank! The tank was empty before i had started, but I'm guessing that it isn't really supposed to come off that easily... My question is can I re-attatch my regulator to my air tank just by screwing it back in, or do I need something like Loctite threadlocker, or should I send it away to be professionally attatched?
-Thanks for the help
The Guy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soup Can Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2009 at 10:33am
stop where you are right now, and go grab a wrench, and remove your fill nipple. This will ensure that your tank is completely empty. At a hardware store, or automotive store, you can go pick up a small tube of red loctite. put a drop or 2 on the threads, no more, and screw it back on. Don't fill it for 24 hours. Make sure you oil that oring between the tank and the reg,
Impulse88 View Drop Down
B&

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Impulse88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2009 at 11:24am
If you have a local paintball shop, I would HIGHLY recommend having them take care of it. If this is not possible, follow the above instructions.
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2009 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by Impulse88 Impulse88 wrote:

If you have a local paintball shop, I would HIGHLY recommend having them take care of it. If this is not possible, follow the above instructions.

QFT
TinMan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TinMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2009 at 1:10pm
You may want to ask them if it qualifies for the PE reg recall also.

I'm not sure what tanks are covered but it relates to regs.

I'm with Impulse88 with this one.
Teron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2009 at 6:50pm
Hey, thanks for all the response! I did take it up to my local shop and they gave me the same advice with the loctite. They said they could not do it for me, because they would be responsible if something were to go wrong. My tank is completely empty now, big thanks to The Guy for your very helpful response! Any idea about how much the red loctite would be?
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2009 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by Teron Teron wrote:

Any idea about how much the red loctite would be?
Cheaper than the emergency room bill if the reg were to come off when it's full.
Teron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2009 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by oldpbnoob oldpbnoob wrote:

Originally posted by Teron Teron wrote:

Any idea about how much the red loctite would be?
Cheaper than the emergency room bill if the reg were to come off when it's full.
Ture, that is why I want to make sure I do it correctly. Money is just very tight at the moment, so I'm trying to keep the big spending down as much as I can. I do have a 20oz co2 tank if this air tank becomes a problem, but I do prefer using air.
Does anyone have an accurate price range for Red Loctite? I checked on several online stores, but found very different prices from $9.99 to $49.99..
TinMan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TinMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2009 at 8:27pm
Loctite is $10.00 for a funnel shaped impule about an inch tall.

There is a groove in the threaded section of your regulator.
Do not put locktite in the groove. It's purpose is to vent the air in
the situation you had, where the reg accidently backs out.
Before installing wipe the groove clean of loctite.

In case you didn't know is all. Wink

Teron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2009 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by TinMan TinMan wrote:

Loctite is $10.00 for a funnel shaped impule about an inch tall.

There is a groove in the threaded section of your regulator.
Do not put locktite in the groove. It's purpose is to vent the air in
the situation you had, where the reg accidently backs out.
Before installing wipe the groove clean of loctite.

In case you didn't know is all. Wink

Thank you very much! I'm looking at the regulator right now, there is a groove in the threading that runs from the bottom about half way up. But there is one identical to it on the other side. Assuming this is the groove you are referring to, should I avoid puting the loctite in both of them? Also, is it specifically Red Loctite that I need for this, or is there another kind?

TinMan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TinMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2009 at 9:02pm
No loctite in the groove(s) yes.

Red has the strongest hold, then blue, then yellow. I'd avoid yellow.

Originally posted by The Guy The Guy wrote:

put a drop or 2 on the threads, no more, and screw it back on. Don't fill it for 24 hours. Make sure you oil that oring between the tank and the reg,

Edited by TinMan - 11 August 2009 at 9:04pm
Teron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2009 at 9:07pm
Alright, so red sounds like the safest bet. Red Loctite it is then. Thank you very much for your help TinMan!
Will a drop or 2 of the loctite be enough to hold, or would you recommend more?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic