FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Public schools

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
Author
jmac3 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2009 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by FreeEnterprise FreeEnterprise wrote:

Originally posted by Impulse88 Impulse88 wrote:

Why is every parents, who home school, republican?

wow... Another huge generalization... Sorry, I couldn't get past the first line...

Here is a nice video interlude showing some anti-socialized homeschoolers.

That video was so retarded it made me believe all home school stereotypes.
Que pasa?

oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2009 at 5:20pm
Looks like at  least two of the kids could use a little more Phys Ed.
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2009 at 6:03pm
The homeschool vs public school debate is a great one.

Like it or not, if you're in a public school, you're being guided by an agenda. By a political agenda set forth by your state's government, that is either dictated by standardized tests or some other means of assessment, no matter how sneaky. If the school does poorly this year, prepare for it to be completely different next year.

Homeschooling has the potential to provide a person with a more focused education, without the undeniable benefits of social interaction no matter how 'forced' it is. Neither system is perfect. Neither system is completely awful, and to generalize about either one makes you a moron.

Denying that homeschooling eliminates many negative impacts on a child, both educational and social makes you almost helmet and drool cup material.

Likewise if you're denying that homeschooling has the potential to curtail  certain social interactions which can be key to successful social growth.

Besides that- Every instance of homeschooling I know goes through the local public school anyway, so its the same damn curriculum anyway.

adrenalinejunky View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

strike 1 11/24/08 language

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adrenalinejunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2009 at 11:36pm
Originally posted by Reb Cpl Reb Cpl wrote:

The homeschool vs public school debate is a great one. Like it or not, if you're in a public school, you're being guided by an agenda. By a political agenda set forth by your state's government, that is either dictated by standardized tests or some other means of assessment, no matter how sneaky. If the school does poorly this year, prepare for it to be completely different next year. Homeschooling has the potential to provide a person with a more focused education, without the undeniable benefits of social interaction no matter how 'forced' it is. Neither system is perfect. Neither system is completely awful, and to generalize about either one makes you a moron. Denying that homeschooling eliminates many negative impacts on a child, both educational and social makes you almost helmet and drool cup material. Likewise if you're denying that homeschooling has the potential to curtail  certain social interactions which can be key to successful social growth. Besides that- Every instance of homeschooling I know goes through the local public school anyway, so its the same damn curriculum anyway.

100% agree up until that last line - there are many, many other options besides going through local public school, its probably popular to do that around where you are, but in my area i think i've met one or two people who do it that way as opposed to 100+ who don't.

probably also has to do with where i've met most of the homeschoolers i know from - mostly through church/other christian related activities, almost all of which use chistian oriented curriculums (saxon and abeca being the biggest)
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2009 at 10:35am
That's why I threw in the qualifier "That I know"....I don't pretend to know everything about homeschooling, so I won't say that what the system I'm familiar with is the way its done everywhere.

I've got a friend of mine whom I'm in the FD with whose mother home schooled all of her kids, and they all managed to turn out alright. There isnt any one of them that lacks the social graces that one would pick up in a public school. (Except for the one that went to jail for a while, but to every rule...there's an exceptionTongue)

oldsoldier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Frequent target of infantile obsessives

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2009 at 12:21pm
When the individual can not sell him/herself sue the school
http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local-beat/College-Grad-Cant-Find-Job-Wants--Back-52304162.html

ME: TROOP......MAYBE SOME INTRENSIC SKILLS SUCH AS...............SELF CONFIDENSE...........PRIOR PROPER PREPARATION OF RESUME...........AND POSSIBLY THE ABILITY TO SELL YOURSELF TO THE EMPLOYER WOULD HELP....................BLAMING SOMEONE ELSE FOR YOUR FAILINGS IS A PITIFULL EXCUSE....................DO YOU UNDERSTAND....TROOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pitiful college graduate: YES, DRILL SERGEANT

Worked for a couple of generations, but today's youth are too pampered and expect to mirical themselves into positions they are not prepared for IN THE WORK FORCE. I did not have a degree entering the civilian workforce, but was armed with exceptional levels of self confidense, motivation, and could con the panties off a female statue, and I got jobs where the application required a college degree, but once I got into that interview I was usually put right on top of the second interview/hire pile....explain that tidbit. I am still getting job offers from transportation companies I worked for, they need expierience, confidense, and initiative....something Joe/Jane college grad lacks.

WHEN YOU EXPECT TO BE THE BEST AND YOU ARE ONLY ARMED LIKE THE REST....BE PREPARED FOR LIFES BIG DISAPPOINTMENTS......LEAD THE WAY, OR GET OUT OF MY WAY.........FOR RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!!! HOOOORAHHHH

Edited by oldsoldier - 02 August 2009 at 12:25pm
Eville View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 5/19, Filter-dodge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2009 at 2:12pm
Hooray for more old man generalizations about how his generation is far superior to todays damn kids!
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2009 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by Eville Eville wrote:

Hooray for more old man generalizations about how his generation is far superior to todays damn kids!

Horray for not being able to realize the short comings of our own generation!

Edited by Reb Cpl - 03 August 2009 at 7:37am

Eville View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 5/19, Filter-dodge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2009 at 3:02pm
One moron who sues the college because she cant get a job is not indicative of an entire generation.
procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2009 at 3:28pm
i want to know what she got her degree in... when I transferred schools I was a biomedical sciences major, and my advisor straight up asked me if i wanted a job when I got out of school.  I obviously ended up switching.  She probably got a useless degree.  
adrenalinejunky View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

strike 1 11/24/08 language

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adrenalinejunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2009 at 4:37am
Originally posted by Reb Cpl Reb Cpl wrote:

Originally posted by Eville Eville wrote:

Horray for not being able to realize the short comings of out own generation!

very much applicable to every age group....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
  Share Topic