FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Antique Rifle ID

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2009 at 6:09pm
I've got it pegged a little differently, although the P&S would lead me to go with OS.

Its looking awfully reminiscent of a Hawkin's rifle. I'm still rooting through my library though. It'd be a little easier if the first picture wasn't upside down.

Eville View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 5/19, Filter-dodge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2009 at 5:35pm
First post updated with pics and barrel length.  
oldsoldier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Frequent target of infantile obsessives

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2009 at 5:29pm
Sounds like a Peterson/Springfield 1870 Range Rifle. Was a hunting rifle capable of firing ball and shot. Basically a demilitarized 1863 percussion rifle, with shortened barrel and short stock. The Oval is the armory stamping, and "warrented" is the same as a guarentee today.
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2009 at 4:59pm
This thread is useless without pictures.
KBK
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2009 at 4:46pm
Take a pict and post.
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

Eville View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 5/19, Filter-dodge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2009 at 4:40pm
My dad brought an antique rifle home from my grandmas last wee and we are trying to figure out what it is. 
We estimate it to be from the mid 1800s.  The only marking (on the right side) is pretty faded and all I can make out for sure is an oval emblem with "warranted" on the bottom.  On the top, I think it says "P S * &CO."  The only thing on the top I am certain of is the &CO.  It is a Percussion cap rifle with a barrel measuring 3ft 3in from muzzle to where the cap sits. 

Any ideas or places to start looking?  I can't even find a list of companies that made percussion cap rifles.

Edited by Eville - 22 July 2009 at 5:34pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic