FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Global Warming?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
oldsoldier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Frequent target of infantile obsessives

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Global Warming?
    Posted: 13 July 2009 at 9:09pm
Still in NY, still waiting for two consecutive days without rain, and the possibility of temps above 72. Riding the hills in the chilly temps is not my idea of a summer day.

I think the scam is exposed.

Still bored, still fixing up the house, a lot of work repairing simple things Mom forgot. Got an X-Box360 amd Guitar Hero World Tour and Aerosmith, back to drumming as exercise.
GI JOES SON View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Got me flowers for my birthday

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GI JOES SON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2009 at 9:18pm
it didnt rain here yesterday...where in NY are you?
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2009 at 9:34pm
Wait, people are STILL stupid enough to call it global warming, and believe that's what it is?

Are you kidding me OS? How many times have we corrected you on this?
Gatyr View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Begging for strikes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2009 at 9:45pm
Originally posted by oldsoldier oldsoldier wrote:

Still bored,

Troll this stuff somewhere else then. Or at least bring something new.

But for now, refute:

Frank R. Lichtenberg
27 June 2009

Many healthcare policymakers and analysts are focused on controlling rising medical costs. Is attacking high-cost, low-benefit medical innovation a solution? This column estimates that medical innovation – the use of advanced diagnostic imaging, newer drugs, and higher-ranked physicians – significantly increases life expectancy without raising medical expenditures per capita.

The cost of medical care continues to rise rapidly in the US and other industrialised countries. According to a report from consulting firm PricewaterhouseCoopers, US employers who offer health insurance coverage could see a 9% cost increase between 2009 and 2010, and their workers may face an even larger increase.

Some observers argue that rapidly increasing health care expenditure is due, to an important extent, to medical innovation – the development and use of new drugs, diagnostics, and procedures. For example, the Kaiser Family Foundation (2007), citing Rettig (1994), claims that “advances in medical technology have contributed to rising overall US health care spending.”

Other observers argue that most medical innovations do not improve people’s health. Lexchin (2004), for example, claims that “at best one third of new drugs offer some additional clinical benefit and perhaps as few as 3% are major therapeutic advances.”

If both of these claims were true, medical innovation would result in the worst of both worlds – a large increase in cost and little or no increase in benefit (in the form of improved health outcomes). However, a study that I have recently performed casts considerable doubt on both of these claims. My findings indicate that medical innovation has yielded significant increases in life expectancy without increasing medical expenditure.

My study (Lichtenberg 2009) examines the effect of the quality of medical care, behavioural risk factors, and other variables on life expectancy and medical expenditure using longitudinal state-level data. As shown in Figure 1, the rate of increase of longevity has varied considerably across US states since 1991.

Figure 1. Increase in life expectancy at birth 1991-2004, by state

I examined the effects of three different measures of the quality of medical care. The first is the average quality of diagnostic imaging procedures, defined as the fraction of procedures that are advanced procedures. The second is the mean vintage (FDA approval year) of outpatient and inpatient prescription drugs. The third is the average quality of practicing physicians, defined as the fraction of physicians that were trained at top-ranked medical schools.

I also examined the effects on longevity of three important behavioural risk factors – obesity, smoking, and AIDS incidence – and other variables – education, income, and health insurance coverage – that might be expected to influence longevity growth. My econometric approach controlled for the effects of unobserved factors that vary across states but are relatively stable over time (e.g. climate and environmental quality), and unobserved factors that change over time but are invariant across states (e.g. changes in federal government policies).

The gains from medical innovation

The indicators of the quality of diagnostic imaging procedures, drugs, and physicians almost always had positive and statistically significant effects on life expectancy. Life expectancy increased more rapidly in states where (1) the fraction of Medicare diagnostic imaging procedures that were advanced procedures increased more rapidly, (2) the vintage of self- and provider-administered drugs increased more rapidly, and (3) the quality of medical schools previously attended by physicians increased more rapidly.

Between 1991 and 2004, life expectancy at birth increased 2.37 years. The estimates imply that, during this period, the increased use of advanced imaging technology increased life expectancy by 0.62-0.71 years, use of newer outpatient prescription drugs increased life expectancy by 0.96-1.26 years, and use of newer provider-administered drugs increased life expectancy by 0.48-0.54 years. The decline in the average quality of medical schools previously attended by physicians reduced life expectancy by 0.28-0.47 years.

The availability of data from Australia’s universal health care system, Medicare Australia, allowed me to provide some additional evidence about the impact of advanced imaging technology on mortality. I estimated difference-in-difference models of the effect of advanced imaging innovation on age-specific mortality rates. Demographic groups that had above-average increases in the number of advanced imaging procedures per capita had above-average declines in mortality rates, but changes in mortality rates were uncorrelated across demographic groups with changes in the number of standard imaging procedures per capita. Estimates of the effect of diagnostic imaging innovation on longevity based on Australian data are quite consistent with estimates based on US data.

The increased fraction of the population that was overweight or obese, rising from 44% to 59%, reduced the increase in life expectancy by .58-.68 years. The decline in the incidence of AIDS is estimated to have increased life expectancy by .18-.20 years. The small decline in smoking prevalence may have increased life expectancy by about 0.10 years.

Growth in life expectancy was uncorrelated across states with health insurance coverage and education, and inversely correlated with per capita income growth. The 19% increase in real per capita income is estimated to have reduced life expectancy by .34-.43 years. The sum of the contributions of all of the factors to the increase in life expectancy is in the 0.85-1.32 year range. Consequently, between 1.05 and 1.52 years of the 2.37-year increase in life expectancy is unexplained.

Greater coverage, lower costs

Although states with larger increases in the quality of diagnostic procedures, drugs, and physicians had larger increases in life expectancy, they did not have larger increases in per capita medical expenditure. This may be the case because, while newer diagnostic procedures and drugs are more expensive than their older counterparts, they may reduce the need for costly additional medical treatment. The absence of a correlation across states between medical innovation and expenditure growth is inconsistent with the view that advances in medical technology have contributed to rising overall US health care spending. Increased health insurance coverage is associated with lower growth in per capita medical expenditure.

http://www.voxeu.org/index.php?q=node/3707

Enjoy.
mbro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Original Forum Gangster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2009 at 10:23pm
Wait, global warming or Upstate NY warming?

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.
FROG MAN View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1- Language, 11/29/09

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FROG MAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2009 at 1:24am
meh, I think it was just a joke choop. I hear educated people making the same joke all the time.
<1 meg sig = bad>
Bunkered View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
What AM I smoking?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunkered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2009 at 7:30am
Originally posted by Gatyr Gatyr wrote:

Originally posted by oldsoldier oldsoldier wrote:

Still bored,
Troll this stuff somewhere else then. Or at least bring something new. But for now, refute:

Originally posted by SomeGuy SomeGuy wrote:

A bunch of Irrelevant crap

What did all that refute about global warming?

Edited by Bunkered - 14 July 2009 at 7:33am
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2009 at 7:59am

I can't wait till they pass cap and trade...

Then the guys on here will be deciding, "hmm, gas for the car, or beer..."...

I feel a lot of walking is in the future for many of you.

So much for "no tax increases for anyone under $250,000..."

Good thing you voted for Osama.

They tremble at my name...
IMPULS3. View Drop Down
Guested

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IMPULS3. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2009 at 9:56am
FE: Where have you been? It seemed a little weird without you around.
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2009 at 10:19am

been busy...

Watching our business fall apart from all this government "intervention"... My customers (large corporate, all the way down to small business) are afraid to spend any money as they are terrified to what is happening since Obama took over.

We had 31 employees in January. Now we have 23... Unemployment in Ohio is now over 10%... I feel sorry for anyone who is getting out of school and looking for a job...

We just installed a $800 anti-back siphen into our plumbing (new law). Which we have to pay $45 a year to have inspected... Taxes on cigs have skyrocketed (guess only guys making $250,000 a year smoke... I didn't know). The tax "rebate" we all got is "income" and you have to pay taxes on it next year...

They are contemplating taxing every can of pop $.10... more...

And that is not even considering what they want to do to health care... And the fact that my property taxes went up 20% this year... While the auditor lowered the heads of the schools in my area taxes... And they all got healthy raises... superintendents income went from $109,000 to $143,000...

So, between researching the local corruption, and sending articles to the papers with the proof, (which they have ignored so far) as well as going to meetings and talking to others about our new PAC, I've been swamped...

They tremble at my name...
Benjichang View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I pwned Leroy Jenkins!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjichang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2009 at 10:20am
OBAMA IS RUINING OUR LIVES
IMPULS3. View Drop Down
Guested

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IMPULS3. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2009 at 10:30am
Originally posted by FreeEnterprise FreeEnterprise wrote:

I feel sorry for anyone who is getting out of school and looking for a job...

That is why a lot of people are staying in school. If you stay in school the interest doesn't start on the student loans.

I have a funny story about that actually.

Four years ago I had two older friends. It was their senior year and just graduated, one buddy was going to college, the other was a street pharmacist. The local pharmacist got caught and got sent to state prison just about around when my other friend started college. Fast foward 4 years till now (May). My "buddy" (We don't talk much anymore seeing he is a retard) got out of prison a month earlier before my buddy graduated from college. Who do you think has a job right now? My buddy who got out of prison does. He learned a trade while in prison (welding) and is currently making a decent honest living, while my buddy who got out of college is barely struggling to pay rent, while his student loans are piling up. Pretty sad when you think about it.
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2009 at 11:47am
It would almost seem skilled labor is where it's at these days. I'm going for machining, as I've said many times before.
Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

Peter Parker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Parker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2009 at 12:02pm
1.  "Global warming" is a correct and accurate term, but it has fallen out of favor because people - either out of ignorance or obstinacy - incorrectly understood it to mean that it meant warming in every local microclimate.  "Climate change" is merely a sop to the people who don't or won't understand that "global" doesn't mean "here."  Either term is usable with the appropriate explanation.

2.  While predictions of specific climate changes are many and varied, there is one theme that is pretty constant:  increased precipitation in most places.  I am not saying that the rainy summer in NY is the result of global warming, but I will say that most models in place do in fact predict exactly that type of change for places like NY.

3.  FE:  Would you feel differently about the various federal efforts to limit emissions if the economic impacts were only minimally negative in the short term, and positive in the long-term?

4.  And I am digging the tree-hugger economics in FE's sig.

"E Pluribus Unum" does not mean "Every man for himself".

Pop Quiz: What do all the Framers of the Constitution have in common?
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2009 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by DeTrevni DeTrevni wrote:

It would almost seem skilled labor is where it's at these days. I'm going for machining, as I've said many times before.

Good Luck, manufacturing is being hit very hard.  Machinists re looking for work too.
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

IMPULS3. View Drop Down
Guested

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IMPULS3. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2009 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by Ceesman762 Ceesman762 wrote:

Good Luck, manufacturing is being hit very hard.  Machinists re looking for work too.

Like you know what your talking about...... Embarrassed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2009 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by IMPULS3. IMPULS3. wrote:

Originally posted by Ceesman762 Ceesman762 wrote:

Like you know what your talking about...... Embarrassed

yep, I could be getting laid off in August after 10 years with my company.  No one is buying lasers, waterjets or press brakes.  No one wants t buy new machines.    
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

IMPULS3. View Drop Down
Guested

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IMPULS3. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2009 at 12:21pm
Ouch, sorry to hear that. Hopefully things turn out for the best, if not tec9.jpg.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2009 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by IMPULS3. IMPULS3. wrote:

Ouch, sorry to hear that. Hopefully things turn out for the best, if not tec9.jpg.

Never Say Die. I hav already put plans into motion to keep cash coming in.  Robbing crack dealers again sounds good....quick cash and no one calls the cops about those robberies.
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

IMPULS3. View Drop Down
Guested

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IMPULS3. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2009 at 12:37pm
Always a viable option.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic