Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Find Me

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Zata View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Find Me
    Posted: 13 June 2009 at 7:29pm
A netbook/mini lap top.  I would look myself but I don't understand all that specification stuff enough to know what I need.

Around $200-$350.  I plan on using it strictly for word processing and internet.  Anything I save will be going on a USB. I don't need anti virus or any crap like that.  The only programs I plan on having on it are Word, AIM, and Firefox.  XP or Linux.  Any size screen. Not looking for the fastest thing ever, but I don't want to sacrifice speed for money.

I explained this to a best buy guy today and his response was "Well they all do that"
Monk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2009 at 7:32pm
The guy is right, they all do that.

Personally I think the HP netbook is a better machine for the price, and I really like their customer service. Also, if you are going to screw around on the internet, you will want antivirus, unless you get the HP with Ubuntu on it.
/\ /\ \/ \/ < > < > B A START
Zata View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2009 at 7:37pm
I'm on the internet quite a bit without any protection and I've never had a problem.  Some may think its stupid but I think that antivirus stuff just slows down a computer.
WGP guy2 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I play the Bag Pipes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WGP guy2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2009 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by Zata Zata wrote:

I'm on the internet quite a bit without any protection and I've never had a problem.  Some may think its stupid but I think that antivirus stuff just slows down a computer.

I would guess your antivirus experience thus far has only been with the bloated stuff that comes with computer (norton, mcafee, etc).  Try something like Avast!, which runs completely in the background, uses almost no processing power, and you only really notice it when it has a security alert or when it announces that it has updated your virus database.  It's also free.
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2009 at 7:54pm
I know the point of advertising is to make things look good, but the Verizon ads for the HP Mini 1151NR Netbook seem pretty good. It's cheap and has 3G connectivity.
Shub View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I donít have one either. Is that good???

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2009 at 10:05pm
Acer Aspire One 8.9".
chronic future View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
If I’m not back in 5 mins.. Wait longer.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronic future Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2009 at 12:21am
i <3 my dell mini 9 but i think they discontinued this model and replaced it with the mini 10
Tolgak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Master of MSPaint and bri's Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tolgak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2009 at 12:29am
I would stay away from HP notebooks only because their touchpads (on the models I have fondled) use a horrible material. The surface does not allow ones finger to slide with any ease. The same goes for their touchsmart computer screen.
mbro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Original Forum Gangster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2009 at 12:56am
Go dell or acer, save money by getting the linux version since you don't need any proprietary programs that would require windows and then you don't need to worry about anti virus.

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2009 at 7:11am
IMO, stay away from Acer. My friend/ classmate that I do all my work with had one and it was HORRIBLE, and the customer service/"repairs" he got were entirely useless until the thing was a complete brick. My gf also has one and its almost more cumbersome than a desktop and incredibly slow. I know it's just personal experience but I'm just not a fan
mbro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Original Forum Gangster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2009 at 9:59am
Man you've been putting your "my friend had an acer and it sucked" story in every computer thread for the past fourty-six years.

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.
Tolgak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Master of MSPaint and bri's Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tolgak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2009 at 10:24am
Originally posted by mbro mbro wrote:

Man you've been putting your "my friend had an acer and it sucked" story in every computer thread for the past fourty-six years.

Fine. I'll help him out. I have an Acer laptop and it sucks.

The Acer monitor I have, on the other hand, is pretty damn good.

Edited by Tolgak - 14 June 2009 at 10:26am
Shub View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I donít have one either. Is that good???

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2009 at 12:43pm
I don't have a ton of experience with Acer, but I have been using my Aspire One nearly daily since I bought it back in the winter. It was preloaded with Win XP, which it ran well. I have since installed the beta, then the RC of Win 7, which it ran great as well.
Zata View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2009 at 4:04pm
I'm not too concerned about the touch pads, I hate them and plan on getting a mouse.
pntbl freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Wanna do something about it? Well do ya?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pntbl freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2009 at 4:10pm
I really like my Dell Mini 9.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2009 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by mbro mbro wrote:

Sure do
Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2009 at 10:29pm

Thats because you dont have anything to show you the viruses. I bet if you had a program then you would see alot of trojans and spyware.
mod98commando View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mod98commando Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2009 at 3:41am
Originally posted by Rofl_Mao Rofl_Mao wrote:

Thats because you dont have anything to show you the viruses. I bet if you had a program then you would see alot of trojans and spyware.

Most likely. I've seen some pretty horrid infections on systems that had Norton or McAfee installed without the latest updates. And, honestly, the worst ones are often the ones that you don't notice. Think about it. If somebody wants your credit card or SSN, they'll try to trick you into downloading a trojan and then probably use that to put a keylogger on your system. Both of which will likely be unnoticeable but will allow somebody to see everything you type which could include account names/numbers, passwords, SSN, etc. Then they can steal your identity and really screw things up for you. It may sound paranoid but it's actually getting more common as things like online banking get more popular. If you run windows, you need something to keep that kind of crap off your system. Even if you just use free stuff like AVG, Spybot, and Ad-aware (all 3 have paid and free versions), you need something. I run all 3 of those and have never had an issue or serious slow-downs. AVG is much less intrusive than Norton or McAfee and there are other good ones too.

Anyway, back to what computer to buy. Your situation is exactly what netbooks were created for. They're small, powerful enough for basic computing, and they get great battery life. Since netbooks are such a new thing, they pretty much all use the Intel Atom processor and nearly identical hardware. The difference between them is basically just the case the hardware comes in. I think Asus (the company that started the netbook craze) just released a new version of the EeePC which is supposed to be pretty good. My friend and his girlfriend both have the MSI Wind which they seem to like. Verizon and possibly some other phone companies are offering netbooks cheap but I believe they make you pay for the Verizon wireless internet stuff for a certain length of time. It's basically the same deal you get with the phones. They pay for the device or part of it so long as you sign a contract to use their service for some period of time. I haven't looked into it much but I do remember hearing about it and I think that's how it worked. I would just go on a site like newegg or just google some reviews on some various netbooks like the Wind or EeePC and see what people say about things that aren't in the specs like build quality and customer service.
oreomann33: Everybody invades Poland
Rofl_Mao: And everyone eats turkey
Me: But only if they're hungary
Mack: Yeah but hungary people go russian through their food and end up with greece on everyth
Zata View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2009 at 9:22am
I'm pretty sure I'll go with the Dell Mini 10.  The only thing I've added to it was a 6 cell battery, for $329.  But I won't be getting one till around August so who knows what will be out by then.
sporx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sporx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2009 at 2:02pm
just go to the store and play around around with them. then compare prices and buy the one you want, since they are all going to do what you want. and i would spend more than $350. but that's just me.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic