FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Oil Pan crack?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - language 6.29.10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oil Pan crack?
    Posted: 01 May 2009 at 5:14pm
So I was driving home, and there is some road construction on one of the roads. During a right hand turn, I end up hitting a rock that was big enough to scrape my bottom.

When I get home I quickly check the front of the car and saw oil spewing out of the oil pan. The cut is about a half an inch in length, very thin. I'd really rather not pay a few hundred dollars to fix it, so I looked online.

A few people said they were able to clean it with alcohol and then use JB weld to close it and it worked fine.

Anyone have any experience fixing a cracked oil pan outside of going to a mechanic?

Shub View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I donít have one either. Is that good???

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2009 at 5:17pm
I'd call around to see if any junk yards have an oil pan that fits your car...they're not hard to change, and would be a billion times more reliable than JB Weld.
The Guy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soup Can Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2009 at 5:25pm
if he JBwelded his oil pan, the weld would be stronger than the pan. You could always find someone you know to weld it for real.
Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2009 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by The Guy The Guy wrote:

if he JBwelded his oil pan, the weld would be stronger than the pan. You could always find someone you know to weld it for real.
I was thinking of taking it to a weld shop, but I'd still have to take the entire pan off and clean it, and I haven't messed with the undersides of a car since 11th grade auto-tech.

chronic future View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
If I’m not back in 5 mins.. Wait longer.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronic future Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2009 at 6:05pm
depending on the car you have, you can prob source a new oil pan for less than 100$ and just replace it yourself
Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2009 at 6:09pm
2007 Chevy Cobalt... gah.

Eville View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 5/19, Filter-dodge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2009 at 6:11pm
Just try it out.  Whats the worst that could happen?  JBWeld it, monitor it closely, if it is still leaking, replace it like you would have had to do anyway.  the only thing you have to lose is a few quarts of oil.
Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2009 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by Eville Eville wrote:

Just try it out.† Whats the worst that could happen?† JBWeld it, monitor it closely, if it is still leaking, replace it like you would have had to do anyway.† the only thing you have to lose is a few quarts of oil.

And possibly an engine O_o

Eville View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 5/19, Filter-dodge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2009 at 6:20pm
that is why you monitor it.  the crack wont get any larger, which means you wont lose any more oil than you did today.  
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronic future Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2009 at 6:43pm
I'd keep a close eye on it, the jb weld could last another ten years or start to give you trouble next month.
you can get a new oil pan here for $108.84 and it should be a pretty simple job to replace, just drain your oil and undo the 12 or however many bolts and pull off the oil pan and replace with a new one, clean up the pan gasket or replace it and you should be good to go
.636 View Drop Down
Strike 1, 9/13 inappropiate post content

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .636 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2009 at 7:36pm
Drill a hole on both ends and use JB weld on it

Some cars and trucks oil pans are a pain to get too. My S10 you have to pull the engine to get the pan out...
Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2009 at 9:05pm
Well crap

After looking a bit more closely, it's not the oil pan that's cracked, but the piece infront of the pan, yet oil is still coming from it.

Trying to search online to find what the piece is.

.636 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .636 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2009 at 9:08pm
Take a picture and show us
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2009 at 9:16pm
Oh god not the pommel flange!
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronic future Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2009 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by .636 .636 wrote:

Take a picture and show us
Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2009 at 9:32pm
EDIT-- Visible tire is front passenger tire.   Pics taken under front fender looking back.

Edited by Linus - 01 May 2009 at 9:33pm

Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2009 at 9:35pm
I can't seem to find a parts diagram for an 07 Chevy Cobalt LS... if anyone can find one that would help a LOT.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronic future Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2009 at 10:00pm
where is your oil drain plug? is it where you think the oil pan is in the pictures?
.636 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .636 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2009 at 10:50pm
That part thats leaking looks like the oil pan to me. Has the big catch at the bottom and some cooling fins.

That part with the spray looks like a transmission bottom plate

Where do you drain the oil when you do an engine oil change. If its where you circled crack, then thats your oil pan, if its on the question mark, then thats your oil pan

drill a hole at each end of the cracks with a tiny drill bit then cover the crack with JB weld and you wont have to worry about it again. Make sure you clean the oil off with something like brake clean

Edit: the question mark area with the spray on it is deffinatly your tranmission from looking at cobalt transmission pictures.

The are with the crack is the engine oil pan. Fix with JB weld or replace the oil pan yourself

Edited by .636 - 01 May 2009 at 10:52pm
Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2009 at 11:12pm
Thank God, because if it was something other then the oil pan I'd probably have been screwed.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic