FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

C-A-P-S!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2009 at 9:16pm
The officiating has been brutal lately. Any of you see the two uncalled highsticks in the last canuck game? One I can sort of understand, as the stick was up as a result of a clearing shot, but either way there were 2 clear as day high sticks, and nothing was called.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2009 at 9:23pm
You know Choop, it stems from the mentality that the NHL tries to instill in their refs and linesmen of "let the players decide the game" when it gets to playoff season. And I can fully understand that. It means that the better team, in theory, should win. However, this mentality seems to make officials prone to favor one team or another simply because they let the instigating team get away with one, but then call the retaliation against the other team to keep escalation down. As I said, I can understand the "let the players decide the game" mentality, but if it results in horrible officiating, then it needs to go away and the playoff games need to be called as strictly as regular season games if not more. I've seen hands close around pucks more than a few times this series, but there's never been a call, even when its' been obvious. They won't let you get away with that in the regular season, but apparently you could throw the puck like a baseball player in the playoffs and they wouldn't call you.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Zata View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2009 at 9:32pm
I haven't paid much attention to the other series' officiating, but its been a bit sketchy in the Wings-Ducks series as well.

I'm sad that I won't get to see Ovechkin play for a while now :(
Shub View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I donít have one either. Is that good???

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2009 at 9:35pm
Great series, Tallen. It was a lot of fun debating and doing all the rival fan silliness throughout this series.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2009 at 9:48pm
I dont think they would bother to call a closed hand on the puck unless it significantly changed the timing of the play/ puck or the direction. You are allowed to bat it down, as long as you don't hit it in a direction/ use it as a pass. I think if you catch it and drop it at your feet that's close enough for them. I've always just seen it enforced if you hold onto it, or use it to pass. Just like how you can't kick the puck in, but if it goes in off skates that's still ok. Speaking of which, did you see Edler deflect the puck into his own net off his skates?
JohnnyCanuck View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
In soviet Canuckistan...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2009 at 9:55am
There are calls that are wrecking the momentum of the game, and in some case's changing the outcome of the game.  They are calling 2 minute penalties everytime a player shoots a puck out of play.  It used to be for intentional, coaches cried about how the refs interpreted it and now it's every time a player is trying to clear the puck, and it goes out of play..ridiculous.
EDIT
forgot a shout out to the caps fans last night:   a great example of fans right there, even when it was 6-2 they were making lots of noise and celebrating with their team, that shows class.  Compared to the Habs fans, especially the last game of the boston series where they were booing and mock-cheering Price...lamers.

Edited by JohnnyCanuck - 14 May 2009 at 10:04am
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2009 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck JohnnyCanuck wrote:

There are calls that are wrecking the momentum of the game, and in some case's changing the outcome of the game. They are calling 2 minute penalties everytime a player shoots a puck out of play. It used to be for intentional, coaches cried about how the refs interpreted it and now it's every time a player is trying to clear the puck, and it goes out of play..ridiculous

That's not true... You only get a penalty if you shoot the puck over the glass in your defensive zone and it doesn't hit anything on the way over. I can shoot it over the glass in the offensive end and it goes over, it's just a faceoff. If I hit the bench and then it goes over, just a faceoff.

Know the rules before you whine about them
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2009 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by Zata Zata wrote:

I haven't paid much attention to the other series' officiating, but its been a bit sketchy in the Wings-Ducks series as well.

I'm sad that I won't get to see Ovechkin play for a while now :(

You mean it's NOT okay for Chris Pronger to get away with murder?

As long as we're talking about the BS that is flooding the tactics in the NHL playoffs, did anyone else watch game 6 of the Ducks-Wings?  I've never seen such poor condition ice, and I go to Hockey games in central NC all the time.  Players were falling down all over. Sure is convenient when the home team is a bunch of big thugs, and the visiting team actually knows how to skate.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
JohnnyCanuck View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
In soviet Canuckistan...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2009 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by choopie911 choopie911 wrote:

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck JohnnyCanuck wrote:

There are calls that are wrecking the momentum of the game, and in some case's changing the outcome of the game. They are calling 2 minute penalties everytime a player shoots a puck out of play. It used to be for intentional, coaches cried about how the refs interpreted it and now it's every time a player is trying to clear the puck, and it goes out of play..ridiculous

That's not true... You only get a penalty if you shoot the puck over the glass in your defensive zone and it doesn't hit anything on the way over. I can shoot it over the glass in the offensive end and it goes over, it's just a faceoff. If I hit the bench and then it goes over, just a faceoff.

Know the rules before you whine about them

I'm talking about the defensive zone plays, hint..my reference to penalties.  I do know the rule (rule 63.2) and it comes up often, especially during playoffs.  You might have a career as bettmann's assitant if you keep it up.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2009 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by usafpilot07 usafpilot07 wrote:

Originally posted by Zata Zata wrote:

I haven't paid much attention to the other series' officiating, but its been a bit sketchy in the Wings-Ducks series as well.I'm sad that I won't get to see Ovechkin play for a while now :(
You mean it's NOT okay for Chris Pronger to get away with murder?As long as we're talking about the BS that is flooding the tactics in the NHL playoffs, did anyone else watch game 6 of the Ducks-Wings?† I've never seen such poor condition ice, and I go to Hockey games in central NC all the time.† Players were falling down all over. Sure is convenient when the home team is a bunch of big thugs, and the visiting team actually knows how to skate.

There was that issue in the Caps vs Pens games as well, but I think it really comes down to the rink systems in each separate complex. Boudreau talked about how the Mellon Arena's ice was very "sticky" especially compared to places like the Cane's rink in Raleigh. That's why home ice advantage is such a huge thing in the playoffs. If you're used to skating on that ice for games, then it's what will give you an advantage come playoffs. The Caps didn't have to tear down their rink between the end of the Rangers series and the beginning of the Pens series. I think that's why they won the first two no problem. We couldn't get the job done on the ice in the 5th and 7th games due to a bunch of factors, but I'm sure the less than stellar ice that they had in those games factored in as well.

It was a GREAT series. All 4 of the 2nd round series have been! It's probably the most exciting playoff season I've seen in years. I usually only watch the Caps when they're in, and when they're out I'll only sporadically watch the rest of the games. This year I was watching every single one. This series also proved to the doubters in the hockey would that Washington is a real hockey town now. Even when we were down 6-2 with 30 seconds to go, the stadium was still full and the cheers of "LETS GO CAPS!" were still going strong.

Unfortunately, our guys played like crap last night. But given that we forced a game 7 in the second round against last years Stanley Cup contenders, I don't feel too bad, I just wish we could have bowed out a little more gracefully.

The series over and done. I've got to admit I've got more respect for Crosby's talents than I did prior. I still don't think he's a superstar on the level of Ovi, but that's because his talents lie in the area of passing and shooting. Ovi's more an all-around kinda guy. I've gotta give the "kid" props on those back-door shots. He knows how to be in the right place at the exact right time, that's for sure!

Overall, great hockey! And I've gotta say that the NHL has a better winner and loser attitude than any other sport. Regardless of what side the players wind up on, they still congratulate each other on a great series and shake hands at center ice every series. And it's none of that grudgingly done crap, it's honest, genuine, and very sportsman like.

That said, how many days until Sept 15th?????
Shub View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I donít have one either. Is that good???

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2009 at 8:36pm
I do think you're right, Tallen. Ice quality varies greatly from arena to arena. Especially in the Mellon Arena, where the 45 year old freezing systems probably aren't doing the best job of cooling anymore.

There is little doubt that good days are coming for the Capitals as well. I believe that the Penguins and the Capitals are two teams who are dynasties in the making. I just didn't think this would be the Caps year, I didn't think Varlamov would be able to hold up. While he struggled in game 7, he didn't melt down like I thought he would, and he looked downright stellar most of the series. A hell of a job...even more so for a rookie with practically no NHL experience.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2009 at 9:07pm
Yeah, I think the team worked Varly a little too hard. Our defensemen really need to step up their game. Jurcina is a great D. player, but takes too many dumb penalties. Poti is solid all around, and Mike Green is fantastic when he's not in a slump like he was in the playoffs, but we need 8 good D pairings to put out on the ice, not just 3-4 great players that we pair up with decent, but not stellar partners. I'm hoping Karl Alzner gets called up for good this next season. He was an amazing player for us through the early season when a lot of our guys were out with injuries and illness. Pothier will also really shine once he gets his skating legs back. I saw some smart plays and good hits from him out there this post season, but the year away from the game he had to take to heal up didn't do him any favors.

As great as Varlamov was, he's apparently the second best goalie we've got in the AHL clubs. There's another guy (can't remember his name off the top of my head) who makes Varly look like an amateur. I don't think any Caps fan will grudge Varlamov those 4 straight goals in game 7 though. He got a standing ovation when he left the ice and he definitely deserved at least that for the stellar performances he gave us in the 12 games prior.

The Caps and the Pens are definitely going to be big dynasties and big rivals from here on out. It's gonna be good hockey in the East for quite some time.
Zata View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2009 at 10:48pm
Woot Go WIngs.  After that 4th goal was scored, my heart was beating so fast.  I couldn't wait for the game to end.
Bunkered View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
What AM I smoking?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunkered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2009 at 5:53pm
That was one intense game last night.
I can't believe I decided to take a nap for 2 hours beforehand... I missed a phone-call and could have gone to the Joe to see it.
Zata View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2009 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by Bunkered Bunkered wrote:

That was one intense game last night.
I can't believe I decided to take a nap for 2 hours beforehand... I missed a phone-call and could have gone to the Joe to see it.

Fool!  I've probably asked before, but where in MI do you live?
Bunkered View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
What AM I smoking?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunkered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2009 at 6:32pm
Grand Blanc, right next to Flint.

I imagine all of Detroit was going nuts last night. It would have been sweet to be down there. Might get to go Sunday if I can scrape together some dough.

It was funny when the CBC broadcasters zoomed in on Chicago's scouts that were in the audience. They didn't look like they liked what they saw. Think maybe they didn't want the wings to win? ;)
Zata View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2009 at 7:26pm
I was reading on some Wings forums that people were saying that was the loudest the Joe has every been and stuff.  I checked stub hub to see ticket prices, $100-$2000
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2009 at 7:30pm
I should be getting a Detroit warmup jersey today. I can post it later.
Zata View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2009 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by choopie911 choopie911 wrote:

I should be getting a Detroit warmup jersey today. I can post it later.

Like one used in warm ups?  How?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2009 at 8:54pm
No, just a warmup style jersey. It has the wings logo on the front, but the jersey is black or some other dark colour, instead of red or white. Just like how the canucks have green ones.

Something like this I guess:

My dad picked it up in Toronto, so I'm not sure? There are white Detroit jerseys in town with a blank back for $25 at this used sports store I bought my skates at. Same with old Caps jerseys actually.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
  Share Topic