Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

98c HPA Velocity Problems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Gimpy_Butzke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gimpy_Butzke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 98c HPA Velocity Problems
    Posted: 19 April 2009 at 1:28pm
Hello all, I just got a new Ninja Paintball HPA tank that I put on a 98C from 2003 that is using the old school flatline barrel. Since getting the HPA I can't get my marker above 260 fps even if I let out the velocity screw.  HPA is also being somewhat inconsistent like CO2. I will get a shot around 230 fps then another around 250 fps.

When using my CO2 tanks I can go up or down 20-40 fps with a quarter turn and easily go above 300 fps. With my HPA I can turn it three full turns and there is absolutely no change.

I even put in a high tension spring and then tested the marker and I still can't get above 260 fps.

A friend of mine has an early model A-5 and he had to get an X-7 valve to properly use HPA. His marker also wouldn't get above 260 fps with any consistency. Would any versions of the 98 Custom have a similar problem as my friends A-5 or could there be something else that is keeping my marker from going above 260 fps?
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2009 at 10:50am

Does the tank have a high or low pressure regulator? And I am assuming you tried unscrewing the FVA out as far as possible? The flatline wil make it harder to get your FPS up, but to be honest, 260-270 is about the perfect spot for a flatline anyways. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gimpy_Butzke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2009 at 1:26pm
This is the tank I purchased, it is a NINJA REG MOUNTED ON A 48CU 3000 PSI ALUMINUM BOTTLE.

To be honest I don't know what pressure the regulator uses. 260-270 fps on the flatline is perfectly fine for me, especially because I always try to keep the velocity at 280 fps or lower, but not being able to get it above 260 fps with any consistency seems very odd to me.

Does the HPA with the flatline or 98C in general make it harder to get the fps up? Because when using CO2 a quater turn of the FVA can be about a 20 fps difference on my marker when it's close to 280.

I never tried unscrewing the FVA out as far as possible, but I did do at least 3 complete turns out and there was absolutely no change in the velocity. The only time I got the velocity to noticably change was when I turned the screw all the way in.

The first time I played with the HPA tank I was about 260 fps, although I don't know if it was consistent all day. I am probably going to go play again this weekend, I'll try using my tank on another 98C that was bought about a year after my flatline. I'll also test my velocity before each game to track it through the day

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gimpy_Butzke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2009 at 5:13pm
I used the HPA tank on a separate 98c marker yesterday and it went up to 280fps no problem.

Edited by Gimpy_Butzke - 22 April 2009 at 5:15pm
geomarmorales View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geomarmorales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2009 at 10:30pm
I have had the same issue with mine.  It could have been the weather (too cold cause low pressure) - yout gun was probbly snowing when fired off Co2.  Also I agree with the otehrs, flatline barrels will bust paint if you go over 270. Try playing in warm wather and see if the issue keeps going. FYI I recommend getting a 70+ HPA 4500 PSI.
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2009 at 10:33pm
HPA isnt affected by cold weather.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gimpy_Butzke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2009 at 12:02pm
I live in the dessert so I'm normally playing in 70+ degree weather. I've had my flatline for quite a long time and I have only had 1 confirmed barrel break with my marker.

I went out last weekend and could only manage 240 fps with my flatline. Could I have a cracked power tube?
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2009 at 12:10pm
A couple of things. First, are you using a remote or bottle on? If a remote is used, make sure you aren't overtightening the knob. Sometimes you can actually block the air flow by screwing it in too tight. Also, again, make sure the FVA is out as far as possible so that it is not interfering with airflow. If you have to, take the marker apart and check it. If it is out and still no improvement, you may have to try buying a new drive spring.  Check in to a set of BT or Madman drive springs. They make some that are harder and will push the valve open longer in order to get the FPS up. Perhaps, yours is just worn out/defective? It's a relatively cheap fix.
nochaz01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nochaz01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2009 at 4:29pm
PBnoob has this one nailed as well. I bought a guerilla with a myth regulator. I could only get my marker to chrono to 258 because the myth regulator sets the PSI to a steady 800 from the factory(please correct me if this is wrong). I was unable to achieve anything higher and will most likely purchase the springs mentioned before to adjust my output a bit.
carpetviper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carpetviper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2009 at 3:41pm
nochaz01, do you have the 3000psi tank or the 4500psi tank? I just purchased a 48/3000 and I couldn't get my tippmann over 260 with the GA myth bottle whereas I had no problem hitting 290+ with CO2 and a rental HPA bottle. Did changing the main spring in the regulator increase the max velocity?
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2009 at 4:25pm
It has been more than three months since the original poster described his problem.  Since he hasn't returned to this topic for quite a while there is a very good chance that the problem is solved.  Please don't bump old posts.
carpetviper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carpetviper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2009 at 4:35pm
I'm obviously new to this forum, but I'm fairly familiar with how other forums operate. Are you stating that threads should only be continued if the OP is involved in the interaction?
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2009 at 6:17pm
I'm saying that if a thread has been dead for 2 1/2 months, such as this one was, it should probably be left that way unless there is something of true significance to be added.

Edited addition:  Furthermore, if the original poster hasn't posted in 2 months and 3 days (27 Apr) it is very unlikely that he is visiting this thread to answer/ask further questions.  Thus asking him/her a question is probably going to be an exercise in futility.

Edited by Mack - 30 July 2009 at 6:27pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic