FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

FreeEnterprise,

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
High Voltage View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Fire in the disco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Voltage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2009 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by brihard brihard wrote:

If you want to play with a flatline, get an Apex instead. You'll find it far more versatile. The flatline's awesome when you finally get it set up just so, but it's finnicky. No matter how you slice it though, the significant distance increases at no or low angle are very real.

At most I'll throw a few bucks at this for more air, I'm not buying new gear considering my old stuff sits in the closet. Neither gun has been used in a good three years. I just want to see the effect angles have on shots with the old flatline.
Benjichang View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I pwned Leroy Jenkins!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjichang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2009 at 2:45pm
I should bust out my old flatline.
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2009 at 3:07pm
only 2...

Come on people, prove me wrong... Take my bet!

They tremble at my name...
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2009 at 3:13pm
Im pretty sure using an apex or flatline and shooting at an upward angle will make it possible. Shooting straight/ flat, OR with a normal barrel, no.
procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2009 at 5:16pm
meh... the max range for a normal barrel, with max angle and everything is probably about 275ish feet...

its up to you guys if you think the apex can tag on another 75 feet on there.

would i take the bet?  probably not.  but 350 is a hell of a long way to shoot your paintball gun, and even if you do happen to get that range, it won't be accurate, and chances are it won't break. 
bravecoward View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
oxymoran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bravecoward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2009 at 6:02pm
I will drive to FE's house to witness this feat 
scotchyscotch View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Currently awaiting brand new strikes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotchyscotch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2009 at 10:09pm
It's up to you FE to lay out the exact terms of the bet. All variables included.

I'll take the bet no problem.

Edit: drunk... so i will agree to the bet once laid out in specific terms as above. I don't like the wholwe angle part though flat or nothing or lower your expectations.

Edited by scotchyscotch - 17 April 2009 at 11:32pm
The Reaper "And yet... His facebook says he "likes" Coons..."
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2009 at 10:36pm
You're really begging people to wager $5 that you can't shoot 350 feet?

carl_the_sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 7/29, Bad Linky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2009 at 10:47pm
I'm not betting but I'm pretty sure than an apex barrel at a good angle will be able to hit 375 feet.
<just say no to unnecessarily sexualized sigs>
Gatyr View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Begging for strikes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2009 at 1:57am
That's back of the endzone to back of the endzone on a football field and then some. Knee-jerk reaction is that seems like too much air resistance over too long of a period and I don't see it happening, but I could see 300 feet happening.

Edited by Gatyr - 18 April 2009 at 1:59am
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2009 at 3:42am
I won't take a bet unless I'm there to witness it.  Anyone can drop a hand full of paintballs at the end of the target area before filming starts.  It's a sucker bet IMHO.

Edited by StormyKnight - 18 April 2009 at 3:42am
chronic future View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
If I’m not back in 5 mins.. Wait longer.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronic future Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2009 at 10:11am
nerds
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2009 at 4:01pm
Anyone who would take this vague of a bet must be crazy. WAY too many variables, and way too many ways to cheat.
Enos Shenk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
~-o@

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enos Shenk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2009 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by Darur Darur wrote:

I'm a little rusty on the flatline, but I was always under the impression that the spin caused torque, not lift, and it was that torque from too fast a spin which caused the sudden upwards shooting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnus_effect
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2009 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by Enos Shenk Enos Shenk wrote:

Originally posted by Darur Darur wrote:

I'm a little rusty on the flatline, but I was always under the impression that the spin caused torque, not lift, and it was that torque from too fast a spin which caused the sudden upwards shooting.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnus_effect

Wow, FTA:
"The use of these barrels has been frowned upon, seeing as how the backspin would reduce the speed of the ball lessening the chance of the ball breaking on impact, as well as reducing consistency"

As I recall, a big selling point of the flatline was that at long range it would be going at least 15% faster, not slower.
jmac3 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2009 at 10:00pm
So apparently FE didn't make his video today. It is 10 EST, and I do not see one.
Que pasa?

mod98commando View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mod98commando Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2009 at 2:49am
Originally posted by choopie911 choopie911 wrote:

Im pretty sure using an apex or flatline and shooting at an upward angle will make it possible. Shooting straight/ flat, OR with a normal barrel, no.

I'll second that opinion. I'm not great at estimating distances but I own a flatline for my A5 and an Apex and have made some very long shots with both. Whether you get a break from long distance is another story but getting the ball from point A to point B at 375 ft. without a bounce sounds possible if conditions are right. The Apex allows you to make some shots with really crazy flight paths because of it's design. If you lower the ramp all the way then the paint will actually dip down real low before the spin kicks in and brings it back up. I never use it at that setting for obvious reasons but if you less it then it'll fly mostly straight for quite some distance without angling the gun. 375 feet is quite a distance though and I'd like some more precise measurements taken before I believe it. Not throwing down any money either way though as I have none to waste but I am curious if it's doable.

1. Use a good camera
  2. Show the gun and chrono when the shot is fired with the chrono reading visible and preferably showing the shot's trajectory (although you probably won't see the ball)
  3. Film the walk to the ball, showing the measuring process
  4. Use an actual measurment device, not your body
  5. Profit/pay up
Also, I'm assuming you're doing this over a level surface. If you're on a hill-top or something then that changes everything.
oreomann33: Everybody invades Poland
Rofl_Mao: And everyone eats turkey
Me: But only if they're hungary
Mack: Yeah but hungary people go russian through their food and end up with greece on everyth
FROG MAN View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1- Language, 11/29/09

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FROG MAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2009 at 3:19am
can someone quickly just do the math, find out the energy involved from the mass of a painball, and its velocity, assume a vacuum/45*, im pretty sure its a simple calculation.

although, does a back spin creat lift? if so then i have no idea,

never mind, decided to do it myself, friction obviously has more to do with this then I originally thought, if conducted in a vacuum, it would go dam far.

Edited by FROG MAN - 19 April 2009 at 3:55am
<1 meg sig = bad>
slackerr26 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Strike 2 - language, 8/20

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slackerr26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2009 at 5:14pm
i want my $5
Bunkered View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
What AM I smoking?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunkered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2009 at 7:16am
Originally posted by slackerr26 slackerr26 wrote:

i want my $5

Win.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic