Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My 98 is leaking constant air! help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jjblue22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjblue22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My 98 is leaking constant air! help
    Posted: 09 April 2009 at 7:57am
i just bought a new A-5, but i grabbed my old 98 for a buddy to use and its leaking air like crazy. from the barrel, from the lil bolt on the side of the gun and the cockback bolt. would it be that little needle is broken in the "powertube" or whatever its called (guessing) i dont know.  im not familiar with it but am i going to have to buy a new part? plz help me out. i need my gun good for  this weekend....

Edited by jjblue22 - 09 April 2009 at 7:59am
newtopaint View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newtopaint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2009 at 9:45am
was it leaking form the volictey screw
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2009 at 9:52am
Was the 98 cocked when you gassed it up? If not, the bolt can rest on the valve pin and open it enough for air/co2 to pass through it. If it was cocked, than you will have to replace the o-rings in the valve.
jjblue22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjblue22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2009 at 10:56pm
it leaks cocked or not, the O-rings look fine though? is it on the black piece inside the gun that the air hooks too? and could you tell me where the velocity screw is located at because i need to adjust that as well.
jjblue22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjblue22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2009 at 11:26pm

which piece would the o ring be on? the silver or black one. i see one ON the silver piece, but is there another inside the black piece? the o ring on the silver one doesnt look liek it would effect anything. but then again why put an o ring there? and it does leak from the cockback screw so is that it? that o ring should stop it.

and now that i think about it, the gun was uncocked when i aired it up. should i try airing it while cocked?? and another thing, is that i dont know if this is normal but my gun used to shoot air from the side of the gun like discharge where its circle in the picture. it used to shoot co2 out of htat little hole. whats wrong?

Edited by jjblue22 - 09 April 2009 at 11:31pm
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2009 at 8:03am

There is a valve inside the powertube. If it is leaking down the barrel whether cocked or not, it sounds like the o-rings in the valve are possibly shot. You will need to consult your manual as to how to take the valve out and replace the o-rings. If you don't have a manual, go to www.tippmannparts.com and download one. While you are there, you can buy the o-rings you need to rebuild the valve.

Regarding the air out of the side... That is the hole in which your velocity screw sits. If you have air coming out of the side, your screw is gone and you have no control over your FPS which can be dangerous. This screw can also be purchased at the site I mentioned.

The marker should always be cocked when airing up. I believe one of the first lines in the manual states to cock the marker before screwing the tank on. If the marker is not cocked the bolt can rest against the valve pin holding it open letting CO2 blow through the marker.

One last thing. I am guessing by your lack of knowledge about the marker, that you have not been properly maintaining the marker. Part of maintenance is cleaning and oiling the maker. I would suggest taking the marker apart, cleaning everything, oiling and reassembling.  Oiling the o-rings may be all that is needed for them to seat and seal. DO NOT USE WD40 or other aerosol type oils. Use Hopps#9 gun oil or paintball marker oil. Using WD40 can destroy your o-rings.

READ THE MANUAL. And by no means, even if the oils fixes the leaking, should this marker be used without a velocity screw. This essentially would leave the marke with no way to lower the FPS and can lead to dangerously high FPS. You could crack a mask or worse.
jjblue22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjblue22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2009 at 5:50pm
i was pretty positive that was the velocity screw, because before if broke down, it would shoot fast, slow and anything in between. thanks for the help
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic