Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Best barrel for accuracy for A5

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
cyberbeast View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyberbeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best barrel for accuracy for A5
    Posted: 31 March 2009 at 3:06pm
I've recently bought a flatline. I'm frustrated with it, I couldn't hit an opposing player only 20 meters away, paintballs flew all around him.

So, I was wondering, what is the very best barrel for a Tippmann A5 for accuracy, not sniping?

I have:
- stock barrel
- 32 degrees Night Stick 14" barrel (witch shoots okay)
- Flatline

I'm have a chance to buy a Tippmann 14" Sniper Barrel for a very small amount of money. That still leaves the Tippmann straightline.
I will test all these barrel with HP (I've used CO2 before).

So, is the straightline worth getting? Or do you guys recommend another barrel? Price doesn't really matter, as long as it shoots accurate.
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2009 at 3:26pm
For accuracy, the paint is the MOST important aspect...

I prefer the apex tip, to add some backspin, which seems to help with accuracy, as paintballs are not perfectly round.

Here is a little test I did a few weeks back that shows the importance of paint.

and here is some helmet cam footage from a game the next weekend.

They tremble at my name...
duarte01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duarte01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2009 at 3:49pm
Try the J&J barrel, it shoots really well and has pretty good distance and accuracy. i have a apex as well and honestly its not that great.
A5 W/e-grip
Xpansion chamber
Stock
j&j/Apex barrel
Tech T cyclone upgdr
98 CustomPro
Cyclone Feed
Apex/J&J Barrel
Response trig
X-Chamber
Stock
Drop Foward
Superfly bolt
Squis
thejudge View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thejudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2009 at 4:00pm
I would suggest the J&J or a lapco bigshot.  If you want reall accurate the paint to bore match is extremely important.  that is why I prefer the J&J kit.  the backs really give the edge for accuracy.
Stay low, run fast, and hope that paintball doesn't hit your...
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2009 at 1:43am

What is your marker chrono'd at with the Flatline?  If it is much above 270fps, you're going to have issues with your accuracy.  Most people have good luck between 260 to 270fps.  That is one culprit.  The other is your paint.  You need a small to medium bore paint for the Flatline to work correctly.  A third culprit could be the cleanliness of the barrel.  Over time, paint shell (gelatin) residue builds up on the scored part of the barrel.  This can reduce the backspin the barrel imparts on the paintball before it leaves the barrel.

cyberbeast View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyberbeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2009 at 7:59am
About the FPS, I have no idea. I wouldn't know where to find a chrono near where I live.
About the paint: I don't have a choice. I have to use whatever paint the paintball field uses and I think it's very cheap paint.
My barrel and gun is always clean.

As for the J&J Ceramic, does it really matter is the barrel size is 14" or 16", regarding accuracy?

Originally posted by StormyKnight StormyKnight wrote:

What is your marker chrono'd at with the Flatline?  If it is much above 270fps, you're going to have issues with your accuracy.  Most people have good luck between 260 to 270fps.  That is one culprit.  The other is your paint.  You need a small to medium bore paint for the Flatline to work correctly.  A third culprit could be the cleanliness of the barrel.  Over time, paint shell (gelatin) residue builds up on the scored part of the barrel.  This can reduce the backspin the barrel imparts on the paintball before it leaves the barrel.

Edited by cyberbeast - 07 April 2009 at 8:02am
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2009 at 8:23am

Then turn down your gun. It sounds like it is set too high. Out of the 5 a-5's I've chrono'd brand new out of the box, all five of them were shooting 350 or more...

With a flatline, you want your gun set at 230-250 fps, in my opinion. Otherwise you will be breaking paint often, and your accuracy will suffer.
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2009 at 9:01am
Buy a hand held chrono. Most paintball gear suppliers sell them. They are essential if you are playing on private fields and/or modifying your marker. Any "tests" you run without verifying your FPS is pointless.
paintballplaya7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paintballplaya7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2009 at 1:28pm
hey free enterprise, you're the guy that was just inquiring about paintball junkies aren't you.

Edited by paintballplaya7 - 07 April 2009 at 2:20pm
*Custom Pro
*Cyclone feed
*X7 hopper
*M16 Carry Handle
*BT 16 Apex Barrel
*Car Stock
*remote
*camo paint job
*Single point sling
*JT Full Coverage Camo
*realtree RAP4 vest
sinisterNorth View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
1 strike, language, 10/3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sinisterNorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2009 at 1:46pm
The best accuracy is going to come from a good paint to bore match. In which case, a barrel kit is going to help you get the best possible accuracy each time you play because you can match the batch bore to your barrel. That, along with a consistent velocity will do the trick.
Pumpker'd; (V.) When a pump player runs up and shoots you at point blank range because you thought 20bps made you good.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2009 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by paintballplaya7 paintballplaya7 wrote:

hey free enterprise, you're the guy that was just acquiring about paintball junkies aren't you.

yeah, I may have to head over there next weekend, the 18th...
paintballplaya7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paintballplaya7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2009 at 2:24pm
yeah you should. awesome field. this is my third year there. i probably wont be there that weekend though. try their chicken sandwich .

p.s. bring your own paint. the guy that sells paint raised his prices, pretty expensive. diablo 13 for 53 bucks a case. i get mine from racers edge for 40 plus tax.
*Custom Pro
*Cyclone feed
*X7 hopper
*M16 Carry Handle
*BT 16 Apex Barrel
*Car Stock
*remote
*camo paint job
*Single point sling
*JT Full Coverage Camo
*realtree RAP4 vest
 Post Reply Post Reply