Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A-5 FPS low

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
deadair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deadair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A-5 FPS low
    Posted: 25 March 2009 at 10:06pm
I bought a refurbished A-5. Any way, when I recieved it I of course added a RT, new barrel, and stock. I don't know if the velocity was fine when I bought it or not being that I immediately added all of that crap. When ever I played paintball the first time my velocity would never get over 250 (mostly stayed around 230). I put everything back to the original configuration and it didn't change. I took it to the local paintball shop and he replaced the power tube and springs. This didn't help either. I bought an HPA tank shortly after and found out the hard way that this A-5 is horrible with HPA and dropped the FPS to 220 at the max. I don't hear any leaks, I have replaced tubes and valves on it, put it back to the original configuration and I still can't get the velocity where it should be. What could be the problem? I have since bought a replacement gun so I could be around 290 FPS (the replacement is not a Tippmann unfortunately), but would really like to fix this A-5 being that I have so much money in it. Does anyone have any valid suggestions?
druid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote druid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2009 at 2:20am
A few possibilities...

1. Replace the drive (hammer) spring with a BT Heavy or a Maddman spring kit [heavy]
2. Air flow is restricted.
3. barrel bore is too big for the paint
4. Replace the valve with an X7 valve...it has better air flow than the stock A5 valve (4 flutes vs 2)
5. Add an aftermarker velocity adjuster to the rear of the tube. I think JCS makes one...

Edited by druid - 26 March 2009 at 2:21am
deadair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deadair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2009 at 7:47am
I have already done number one, checked number two (several times), and we have tried all kinds of paint from cheap junk all the way to expensive paint. The only things I have not done is 4 and 5. Looking at the valve in the manual for the A5 and the X7 look the same. Everyones website list them as the same part (they always say x7/a5). I was going to replace it with a New Dezign valve but I'm affraid to piss away more money without knowing for sure it it will resolve the issue. I have seen the rear adjusting velocity adjusters and I'm not sure that will help either. Thank you for the reply.
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2009 at 12:23pm

Is the powertube a Tippmann or aftermarket? If aftermarket, try putting a stock one back in. Your A5 should operate on HPA unless you are using a low pressure tank. Tippmanns are made to operate at higher pressure. Take the marker all the way down to stock, including the internals and start from there.

deadair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deadair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2009 at 1:01pm
It has been stock for a while with no difference. Like I said before, I added the barrel, the stock and the response trigger but removed them after I noticed the issue. The paintball shop replaced the tube and springs with Tippmann products. When I tried replacing the tube, and springs it was with aftermarket parts but realized they didn't help and I'm now back to the originals. When I said I replaced the valves , I meant the valve connecting the small hose to the feeder, not the valve in the tube. Do you think replacing the valve in the tube will resolve the issue? That valve and the hammer are about the only thing that has not been replaced internally.
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2009 at 1:22pm

The valve for the Cyclone really shouldnt have any effect on your FPS.

This is a really obvious question, but you are turning your front velocity adjustment screw out right? Also, have you tried bypassing the ASA and screwing the tank directly into your tombstone?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic