FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Religion (long)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Roll Tide View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

NEVER had a STRIKE!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roll Tide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Religion (long)
    Posted: 24 March 2009 at 1:47am
Hello T&O, it's been a while since I've posted anything meaningful here. Some of you might remember me. I remembered this board as one of the places where I sort of discovered atheism and the realization that it was okay to reject modern Christianity. Since then I have straddled the fence of closet agnostic and open atheist. In the past year or so I desperately searched for some sort of faith. I was trying to make myself believe in the dogma that I had been raised in. I have lived in the Bible Belt my entire life (born in NOLA, moved to Texas and subsequently to Alabama). Christianity dominates all aspects of life: social codes, laws, even education. This is true for the entire country, as we are the most religious nation in the Western world. 

This brings me to the next point. I firmly believe that religion is the #1 detriment to the development of the global society. The two conflicts in which we are currently engaged in are in the name of religion. Our former President declared that "God" wants everyone in the world to be free, somehow legitimizing his actions. The cause for the Afghanistan War was religion (Jihad on America via cowardly terrorist attacks). Genocide is ongoing in Africa because of religion. More people have been killed and persecuted in the name of religion than anything else in human history. In my opinion, religion will cause the apocalypse, and I'm not talking about Jesus coming back. I mean nuclear war because of Jihad or a modern Crusade.

I do not understand how a civilization smart enough to develop the technology to destroy everything we know in seconds can believe in the fairy tales of all religions. The Bible and the Koran are both primitive books teaching ancient ideals that do not apply in modern society. Most of the stories are beyond ludicrous and if they weren't printed in the Bible, we would laugh at them and dismiss them as children's books. People can be perfectly happy, moral, and successful without abiding by the absolutely ridiculous dogmas of religion. The world would be a better place without these silly beliefs. Statistically, I know most everyone in the world disagrees. I don't care. It's a shame that humanity's infinite potential is being crippled by religion. 

Okay T&Oers, what are your thoughts and opinions on religion?

P.S. It looks like the forum might've finally gotten an update. I remember many a thread complaining the crappy system used. 

TL;DR: I think religion is a farce and is the #1 problem with modern society. Thought & Opinions?

Edited by Roll Tide - 24 March 2009 at 1:49am
<Removed sig for violation of Clause 4 of the New Sig Rules>
Bolt3 View Drop Down
What?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bolt3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2009 at 1:50am
True.
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2009 at 1:54am
Yeah I pretty much agree. Religion is a kind of ridiculous idea when you think about grown people believing in other fairy tale people as grown adults. Check out Religulous, you'll love it. But yeah, not at all a fan of religion, but if thats what you're into, I'm not going to pry it away from you. Having it die off might be handy though. Especially seeing examples of amazing developments in the past, then thinking about religious history.....really makes this graph more true:

I'm a fan of this too:
http://hypnosis.home.netcom.com/iq_vs_religiosity.htm
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2009 at 1:56am
Wow. South Korea has a higher average IQ than Japan? Dang...
Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

Roll Tide View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

NEVER had a STRIKE!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roll Tide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2009 at 2:11am
Originally posted by choopie911 choopie911 wrote:

Yeah I pretty much agree. Religion is a kind of ridiculous idea when you think about grown people believing in other fairy tale people as grown adults. Check out Religulous, you'll love it. But yeah, not at all a fan of religion, but if thats what you're into, I'm not going to pry it away from you. Having it die off might be handy though. Especially seeing examples of amazing developments in the past, then thinking about religious history.....really makes this graph more true:

I'm a fan of this too:
http://hypnosis.home.netcom.com/iq_vs_religiosity.htm
I watched Religulous the day it was released. Although it is clearly one-sided, I did indeed love it. I've forced almost all of my friends to watch it. I don't preach atheism, but I want them to at least see my side of the argument. 

About the graph - If you removed the names of the eras and put it on a standardized test, every single person would say that the black era was the most primitive and regressive. 
Darur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Stare directly into my avatar...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2009 at 2:45am
Couple of points that are silly.

Firstly, to my knowledge, President Bush never invoked God as a reason for going to war in Iraq.  We may have done so for causes such as Freedom or WMDs, but it was hardly a crusade in the literal sense.

Secondly, Choopie,  going by your graph how many points does Calculus give us?  Is that just a flat 20, or does it get a double point bonus?  Representing scientific advancement as a quantitative figure is plain silly.  Whats more, the vast amounts of research done in mathematics, particularly algebraic and linear functions, was done in that hole, by both European and Arabic mathematicians.  The myth that the dark ages were devoid of advances is just that.

Now I'll share my thoughts. I'm just going to discuss if religion is good or bad for mankind, not if god exists or what have you.

While I agree religion has lead to many terrible genocides and events, it has also inspired many advances in human society.  The works of classical Greek philosophy would have been lost forever were it not for Islam.  Modern day mathematics, chemistry and science for that matter would be impossible without the support of Islam.  Christian Monasteries and religious Universities were the sites of virtually all major advances in Astronomy and Biology from 1000 AD to 1800AD.  The very notion of the gene was developed by Mendel, a Monk.  His research was one of the corner stones of understanding DNA.

Not to mention all of the tremendous advances in human thought that religion brought.  The works of Da Vinci and Michelangelo, for one thing.  Religion has often been sited as the motivation for Europe to move on after losing over a third of its population to the plague.

Now these are just a few examples of the many benefits it has brought to mankind.  Even today, great leaders such as Gandhi and the Dalai Lama are inspired by religion.

The trouble is, when people group together and unite, groups polarize as predicted by psychology.  This leads to extremes which can often completely forget the original idea that untied them.  In this way religion has been the root of some of the worst genocides in history.

The trouble with religion in the modern day world is many of the original intents have been forgotten.  In example, I'll discuss Christianity.  A prime example is a rule followed by some sects still to eat fish on Friday.  That law is not for any spiritual purpose, it was created for the good of fishermen who were having a hard time selling their catch.  The church decreed its members should eat fish to help the fishermen. Other examples include the kosher system which was based on observations that people who didnt eat pork or shellfish and bathed were healthier, because often those animals had parasites or other problems with them. Religion also provided man with explanations for things they couldn't understand, such as life, death, why we are here, and more. The bible is filled with allegories, some of which are based on fact and some of which are creations of the original author, but all of which are meant to convey a point to the reader.  The bible is not meant to be taken as fact, but rather for its meaning.

As religion has developed, its taken many commonsense notions from the time it developed and applied them to its doctrine.  In example, the ideas of Ptolemy's earth-centered Universe were adapted to explain the location of heaven and hell.  Copernicus's heliocentric universe upset this view, which caused resistance from the church.  The "rift" between science and religion is the end result of trying to explain the physical with the metaphysical and vice versa.  When we try to mix the two, we forget the meaning of religion.

My point with all this?  Religion itself is Philosophy, and few can argue that the ultimate message of religion is "bad".  Do unto others as you would have done unto yourself (Christianity), Live a life of moderation (Buddhism), Regardless of your position in life, do your part and lead your life and you will be rewarded (Badly worded Hinduism).  I could go on.  The problem is, religion takes in so many nuts who take these views and twist them into their own, or wind up forgetting their original beliefs, or what the original philosophy is.

The philosophy itself is fine; its when you take a bunch of people, feed these beliefs to them, and let them go wild that things get ugly.
Real Men play Tuba

PH33R TEH 1337 Dwarf!
DONT CLICK ME!!1
Heres To You View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Cheated on Kelsey

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heres To You Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2009 at 2:48am
I see your point and for the most part agree.

Although arguing religion or stating your views on religion is pretty much pointless through a forum.  Nothing has ever changed on this forum through arguing over the thousands of religion threads I've seen.

Extremist is all that really needs to be sad.
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse."
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2009 at 3:21am

It would seem to me that religious views give a moral backing to any society, regardless of religion. If your people fear religion, and you endorse that religion, you gain the respect of society.

Also, invoking George W and the Iraqi war as some kind of religious war is not only ridiculous, I'd say it ranks up there with Bush creating hurricanes and blowing up the Trade Centers.

And religion will not cause the apocalypse, fights over resources will cause the apocalypse. The world is only going to get smaller as populations increase, and with modern anti-war movements among the superpowers eventually tensions over oil, economy, and power will cause a massive war between them.

Another hole in your theory is that in reality, while modern war is often justified with religion, rarely is it based on it. The modern world functions, as I said earlier, as a battle for power, and religion is  a pawn in that battle.

As for Christianity controlling every aspect of your life, replace the word Christianity with any random subsitute for morals, dignity, or pride and you get the same result. Your life will always be governed by a set of rules and limits, that's called being a modern society. You can attach the name Christianity, but just because a moral comes from the Bible does not mean it is bad.

Otherwise, without some kind of moral backing, society would fail.

If we were to make this discussion deeper, and really dig into individual Biblical principles, I don't think anyone here would argue with 80% of them.

Calling religion a fairy tail is not only narrow minded, it's conceited and arrogant. While I feel it's your right to believe what you want, when your beliefs give you a sense of superiority over other people, at what point do you become what you hate?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2009 at 3:40am
Originally posted by stratoaxe stratoaxe wrote:

It would seem to me that religious views give a moral backing to any society, regardless of religion. If your people fear religion, and you endorse that religion, you gain the respect of society.

Wait, so I'm less moral because I don't believe in an invisible man that watches me? I'm not going to be an immoral person just because of my beliefs, that just doesn't make sense.
Darur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2009 at 3:53am

Wait, so I'm less moral because I don't believe in an invisible man that watches me? I'm not going to be an immoral person just because of my beliefs, that just doesn't make sense.

Morality requires some definition of good and evil, wrong and right.

I believe strato's point is that religion provided this concept of good and evil.  God says killing is evil, feeding the hungry is good. Without religion, killing is not evil, and feeding the hungry is not good.  There is no framework for morality without God.

Today we have developed the notion of Human rights, and we can define morality against that, but the precursor to all morality is religion.
Real Men play Tuba

PH33R TEH 1337 Dwarf!
DONT CLICK ME!!1
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2009 at 3:57am
How is there no right or wrong without god? Seems to me that America was founded by several deist or athiest men, and you guys fight about those rights and wrong defining rules all the time.
Once again, I don't think my idea of right or wrong is at all dictated by god/ heaven or hell one bit.

Also this made me lol again today:

*edit*
Also, so what if religion was the potential start of morality and human rights, but that doesn't mean it always will be, or should be. Steam used to be a useful power source, now not as much, we know better. Just like the world used to be flat.

Edited by choopie911 - 24 March 2009 at 3:59am
Darur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2009 at 4:14am

How is there no right or wrong without god?

Good and evil requires a detached observer who we accept as right to define good and evil.  Whose to say something is evil or good otherwise?  If I kill someone, and make money from it, from my perspective its good for me.  if that someone has a relative, from their perspective, that's evil to them.  Which of our views is right and why? 

Seems to me that America was founded by several deist or athiest men, and you guys fight about those rights and wrong defining rules all the time.

When arguments are over the constitution, we assume that the founding fathers were absolutely correct, otherwise we say any bit of the constitution is right and any bit is wrong.  We judge the actions of our country and its laws against the constitution, we don't judge if the people in Darfur are right or wrong against our constitution. Its relative.

Once again, I don't think my idea of right or wrong is at all dictated by god/ heaven or hell one bit.

And your beliefs may not be.  Perhaps right and wrong are defined to you by the impact of the doing on mankind, if it brings harm or benefit to them.  Perhaps its based on how it affects the tunafish in your sandwich.  Doesn't matter.

*edit*
Also, so what if religion was the potential start of morality and human rights, but that doesn't mean it always will be, or should be. Steam used to be a useful power source, now not as much, we know better. Just like the world used to be flat.

I don't understand your comparisons here, what exactly are you trying to say?

No one is saying because the bible says this, its right.  We're saying that morality was defined for people by religion.  Before religion, man killed and ate and hunted for survival.  With religion, he began to define certain actions as good or evil.

Today we often define morality on human rights which philosophers have agreed upon. Many of these human rights are based upon religion, which is a philosophy.
Real Men play Tuba

PH33R TEH 1337 Dwarf!
DONT CLICK ME!!1
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2009 at 4:19am

You took that completely the wrong way.

From a government standpoint if the people fear a religion, and you endorse it, you gain the respect and therefore the following of your people.

In other words religion has been, for better or for worse, a way of keeping order to the masses by governments throughout history.

As I said in the other part of my post, I don't believe that believing in God gives you a set of morals, but justifies a set of morals you already had.

In other word what people label as Christianity when it comes to the rules of living is really just another moral code, no different from any other.

Every atheist has (or at least should) have a moral code that they live by. The hypocrisy I see in atheists or agnostics that choose to blame religion for the problems of the world is that they themselves are bound to their own personal code of ethics, they just chose to remove the God label, and in their minds receive +10 intelligence points.

I've seen it with friends, even relatives and girlfriends, but in the end Christianity's rules of living are simply a moral code.
jmac3 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2009 at 8:57am
Originally posted by Darur Darur wrote:

Before religion, man killed and ate and hunted for survival.  With religion, he began to define certain actions as good or evil.

Why is this a good thing?

Que pasa?

FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2009 at 9:13am
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

The fool has said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that does good.

They tremble at my name...
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2009 at 9:16am
Originally posted by Roll Tide Roll Tide wrote:

I remembered this board as one of the places where I sort of discovered atheism and the realization that it was okay to reject modern Christianity.

Originally posted by Heres To You Heres To You wrote:

Although arguing religion or stating your views on religion is pretty much pointless through a forum. 

hmm...

Edited by FreeEnterprise - 24 March 2009 at 9:17am
They tremble at my name...
Tolgak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Master of MSPaint and bri's Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tolgak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2009 at 9:39am

You took that completely the wrong way.

From a government standpoint if the people fear a religion, and you endorse it, you gain the respect and therefore the following of your people.

If the government endorses a religion that people fear, they don't respect the government, they fear it too.

In other words religion has been, for better or for worse, a way of keeping order to the masses by governments throughout history.

Absolutely correct. But in these days, we are needing it less and less. In some of the most prosperous countries of the world, a politician who throws religion into his campaign will loose a substantial amount of support. As technology grows and populations get more intelligent, religion becomes increasingly detrimental to progress. Pretty much all regulation attempted by Christians since the beginning of this nation were "you can't do X" or "you're required to do Y when we say so" or "you must respect us over Z groups/religions."

Yes, in the dark ages, there was mathematical and scientific progress going on behind the scenes. The problem is that none of the things they wrote were safe to expose if it would contradict religious doctrine. This was going on until the very beginning of the renaissance.

As I said in the other part of my post, I don't believe that believing in God gives you a set of morals, but justifies a set of morals you already had.

In other word what people label as Christianity when it comes to the rules of living is really just another moral code, no different from any other.

Except that it's a moral code that includes some horrific laws. Only with the decline of religious influence on our lives did the more ridiculous and disgusting laws start dying with them. Thou Shalt Not Kill is a really funny one, considering that Christianity still uses religious justifications for much of the killing we do now.

Every atheist has (or at least should) have a moral code that they live by. The hypocrisy I see in atheists or agnostics that choose to blame religion for the problems of the world is that they themselves are bound to their own personal code of ethics, they just chose to remove the God label, and in their minds receive +10 intelligence points.

There was never any god to create the rules. The rules were written by people based on logical rules of the time. Killing isn't bad because it's written in an old book (that advocates murder in so many circumstances). Killing is bad because it's just bad MmmmKay? If the reasonable rules that we live by are also written in the Bible, so what? That doesn't mean they were first written in it or first considered by a guy who had a lucid dream and screamed "THERE IS A GOD!" upon waking up.

I've seen it with friends, even relatives and girlfriends, but in the end Christianity's rules of living are simply a moral code.

Which rules are you talking about? The 10 we all know of or the 600 or so in the testament of old, that you pick and choose from as we slowly weed them out for being ridiculous?
Robby_of_PBH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robby_of_PBH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2009 at 10:26am
Personally, religion for me is something that could be linked to happiness.  I think a study showed that on a level of 1 - 3 (3 being the most) religion was categorized as being a 2 in terms of happiness in your life.  I'm in no way saying you can't be happy without it, not at all.  Just maybe that it helps.

Now I'm not arguing any sides at all what so ever, I'm just stating that it's nice to have something to believe in. If someone very close to you dies, is it not nice to know that one day you will see them again?  I think it'd be awefully killer otherwise, but I guess people deal with it.  That's just me though.

I'm not saying religions are right or wrong, whatever your view is is your view.  I'm just saying I have faith.  I can't prove anything exists or doesn't exist, but I can at least hope and believe right?  And that's about all I got for this topic.
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2009 at 11:16am
There is nothing wrong with organized religion. The problem lies squarely on the shoulders of people.

Take them out of the equasion and religion is fantastic.

KBK
oldsoldier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Frequent target of infantile obsessives

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2009 at 11:28am
As man crawled from the caves he needed someway to explain the world around him. The beginnings of the "Gods" and religion. Primitive man did not understand the world around him, so a "God" made the sun rise and fall, the rains to fall, everything that the primitive "societies" needed to survive. Man being man saw a way to exploit this belief system and the few who claimed that they could "talk' to the "gods" rose to power over the masses in thier societies. And from then on modifacations on the belief systems changed the belief systems based on the needs of the people to be "passified" and controled. Even Communism replaced "god" with "the state", and nothing really changed in the way the belief system works in those societies.
Atheism is nothing more than another modifacation on the belief system, and within Atheism's belief system there also are faults, and Atheism will take its place in the history of "religions", and the believers will move on to the next belief standard required to explain the world around them, as the world again changes.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic