Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Religion (long)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
Author
jerseypaint View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerseypaint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2009 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by adrenalinejunky adrenalinejunky wrote:

Originally posted by jerseypaint jerseypaint wrote:

Sneaky. You're taking the Bible more seriously then most Christians. You'll actually find very rarely that educated Christians take anything from the Old Testament for face value. Hell, the whole thing was written down after hundreds of years of oral tradition. That is a hell of a long game of telephone, facts are bound to get lost, but the inspired message remained the same.

i suppose i could give you a history lesson about exactly how that game of telephone was played, but i'll just simply leave it at this - if you doubt the source from which your religion is based, why would you believe in that religion?

one thing i've never understood.

I don't doubt the source at all. I believe the Word is inspired by God, but I don't expect civilizations from thousands of years ago to keep accurate record of every little thing during their lifetimes.

Originally posted by adrenalinejunky adrenalinejunky wrote:

Originally posted by jerseypaint jerseypaint wrote:

You've never studied the Old Testament have you? Its not literal. They uses parables, allegories, and psalms. But that doesn't mean its false, its just not literal. And when dating the Old Testaments books they use the symbols and mentioned figures to try and figure a time line.

its not? all of it? based on what research?

I don't see what you're getting at. I've been forced to study and analyze the Old Testament for about 3 years, including its history. Its pretty clear that not all of it can be taken for straight fact, but thats only due to the human error factor losing facts overtime (Again, this doesn't mean the Bible is erroneous. The books are still God inspired and still represent His Word). Then combined with the authors' use of literary devices you get the Old Testament.

And evolution can be harmonious with Christianity. In fact, it is. The Catholic Church has accepted evolution. No where in the Bible does it say that man never evolved, all it says is that God is responsible for the creation of man and the universe, not that he didn't use evolution to create man.

the catholic church has also had tons of other views not founded in and contradictory to the bible, supposedly the basis of their religion.

The Catholic Church might have faults, but I still don't see how this statement disproves mine.
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2009 at 7:27pm
They tremble at my name...
Benjichang View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I pwned Leroy Jenkins!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjichang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2009 at 7:31pm
Obviously, there is some kind of historical relevance to the Bible.
jmac3 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2009 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by jmac3 jmac3 wrote:

Originally posted by FreeEnterprise FreeEnterprise wrote:

Yeah, I hear you, dragons don't exist...

Tell that to the guy that was killed by a dragon this week...

This just proved that your whole argument is flawed. I don't know if you realize that or not.
Que pasa?

__sneaky__ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Voted 2010 Most Improved Forumer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2009 at 10:46pm
FE, this is for you.

Now onto my educated, intelligent and informed co-forumers...

About getting rid of the old law (basically the old testament)

Gal 5:1 Stand fast therefore in the liberty by which Christ has made us free, and do not be entangled again with a yoke of bondage. *the yoke of bondage referring to the mosaic law*

2 Cor 3:4-16 And we have such trust through Christ toward God. Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think of anything as being from ourselves, but our sufficiency is from God, who also made us sufficient as ministers of the new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life. But if the ministry of death, written and engraved on stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not look steadily at the face of Moses because of the glory of his countenance, which glory was passing away, how will the ministry of the Spirit not be more glorious? For if the ministry of condemnation had glory, the ministry of righteousness exceeds much more in glory. For even what was made glorious had no glory in this respect, because of the glory that excels. For if what is passing away was glorious, what remains is much more glorious. Therefore, since we have such hope, we use great boldness of speech--unlike Moses, who put a veil over his face so that the children of Israel could not look steadily at the end of what was passing away. But their minds were blinded. For until this day the same veil remains unlifted in the reading of the Old Testament, because the veil is taken away in Christ. But even to this day, when Moses is read, a veil lies on their heart. Nevertheless when one turns to the Lord, the veil is taken away.

And the reason I take it so litterally, I grew up in the bible belt. (Missouri to be specific)
And I've been in christian schools all my life, attended church, etc.
Almost every christian I've ever encountered, takes the Old Testament as fact.
I realize not everyone does, but thats just how I'm used to people seeing it, and it makes no sense at all...
So that's basically why I look at it so litterally when I refer to it...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
  Share Topic