Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

HELP WANTED!! using an A-5 in speedball

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chaoticpaintballer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaoticpaintballer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HELP WANTED!! using an A-5 in speedball
    Posted: 21 March 2009 at 8:30pm

Hey guys, new to the forum, and got a quick question.

I know people usually dont use Tippmann's in speedball but I'm determined to do it.
But, I wanted to know more about the regulator's, or if I need one or not? I'm not sure if I should get a regulator and for that matter what kind? I'm just not sure if there is any specific brand or type that is directed more towards speedball..Any help would be great  Thanks
Proving that Tippmann's can be used in speedball!!..
ctchofday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
1 language strike, 2/28/10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ctchofday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2009 at 1:34am
you dont need a regulator. for a tippmann unless you plan on running the Low Pressure Kit (LPK)

my A-5 shoots a +/-3fps with compressed air and +/-12fps with Co2 as just keep the gun around 280-285 and all is well

but, so you know, a lot of people have used Tippmanns in speedball, the team Tippmann Effect did it forever ago, its nothing new.
Xbl:PhantomReign97

'99 Snpr II, d Karni, E-Orracle, 2k4 Spstk, 2k5 Prstk, PMR SE, A5, 98

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaoticpaintballer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2009 at 10:39am

I know it has been done before, but it's just not normal and the guys at my field kinda look down on the mechanical guns for speedball. I personally love Tippmann's and have never had a problem with one(knock on wood).

I will be using a Crossfire HPA 68-4500, so +/- 3 fps I'm not really concerned with. I thought it would make a big difference, especially with shot drop.

Also, I dont have much knowledge about a (LPK). I would need a LPK and a secondary regulator?? I'm not real sure on the set-up here.

Thanks alot!

sinisterNorth View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
1 strike, language, 10/3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sinisterNorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2009 at 10:59am
The Tippinators also play speedball with Tippmanns. They've done pretty well for themselves.

The LPK allows you to run your gun at a much lower pressure and the secondary regulator helps with the fine tuning and control.
Pumpker'd; (V.) When a pump player runs up and shoots you at point blank range because you thought 20bps made you good.
MeanMan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MeanMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2009 at 11:52am
I use to use my A5 with speedball, just make sure when you lean out on the right side, that you watch your hopper.

hybrid-sniper~"To be honest, if I see a player still using an Impulse I'm going to question their motives."

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaoticpaintballer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2009 at 6:24pm

Okay thanks..(N MeanMan) This was my biggest concern with the A-5 and using it in speedball. So, I made a custom hopper.

I use an X-7 low profile hopper, n it sits directly above the back of my gun(about where the hammer is), but I connected a pod and some other plastic to make it curve down to the Cyclone.. Works great and holds a decent amount of paint and whether I come out left or right, it's ALOT smaller either way...

Thanks guys
Thompsonshooter View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
If I build it... you will drool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thompsonshooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2009 at 6:59pm
LPKs are no longer made.

Put an e-grip on it, run an APE board, Lapco Cyclone Upgrade and a new HammerHead MoFo barrel and you won't go wrong.

Eric Engler
President
www.englerpaintballguns.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaoticpaintballer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2009 at 7:05pm
Hey, Thanks for the quick response Thompsonshooter..
I was goin to get an HE E-Grip, I have the whole Cyclone upgrade(paddles, piston, housing and vortex mod) n I wasnt sure on the barrel, I'm still running stock, but I really want a very accurate barrel. I play at the All-American Paintball Field and usually half a football field for speedball(so not that far of a distance to shoot), so I wasnt really sure on gettin a F/L or Apex.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaoticpaintballer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2009 at 7:06pm
Sorry, forgot to my question, what is an APE board??
Thanks
MeanMan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MeanMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2009 at 10:36pm
It's an upgraded board in the egrip. It'll give you better modes and such. Waterproof correct?? I beleive if you search APE Rampage Board it will show up.

hybrid-sniper~"To be honest, if I see a player still using an Impulse I'm going to question their motives."
thejudge View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thejudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2009 at 1:14am
also for speedball go with either the Hammerhead or a J&J kit.  the F/L wont do much good and is not as accurate as those 2. 
Stay low, run fast, and hope that paintball doesn't hit your...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaoticpaintballer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2009 at 4:47pm
Okay..Thanks guys   last stupid question  lol      Do I have to have an E-grip to get the APE board, cuz I seen it has a button or is that just the part of the upgrade on the E-grip to help select modes externally???

Thanks in advance

Shenkyei Rambo View Drop Down
strike 1- filter dodge, 6/21/10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shenkyei Rambo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2009 at 5:46pm
tippmann's new external selection e-grip is just like the X7. you program the special firing (FA on the grip) with pins, but you externally switch between safe, semi, and FA, but i'm sure you already know about that.

i have no idea or desire to know about APE boards, as i run a 98C ACT without the e-grip, and use it to sharpshoot/snipe, depending on whatever word you prefer to hear/read/type/so on and so forth.

i just know some of how the e-grips work, how to install on a 98C, a-5, X7(last two are obvious to everyone) and how to change modes and such.
Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(").. COPY BUNNY INTO SIG AND HELP HIM ACHIEVE WORLD DOMINATION!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaoticpaintballer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2009 at 5:23pm
Thanks??.. I'm not tryin to be an A hole Rambo...but if you didnt kno the answer     Why did you reply?? lol  :D
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2009 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by Chaoticpaintballer Chaoticpaintballer wrote:

Do I have to have an E-grip to get the APE board,
You could buy the APE board and build your own.

The insides of the standard grip are not molded to fit the E-grip components. You could purchase the grip halves, linkage arm, Egrip sear, Egrip sear spring, short trigger spring, and install with the stock parts from your standard grip. It would cost you about $30.00 or so plus the cost of the A.P.E. board.

Edited by oldpbnoob - 26 March 2009 at 5:52pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaoticpaintballer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2009 at 5:50pm
OldPBnoob...thank you sir     sounds good..I will prob. end up doing that..  THANKS
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2009 at 9:47am

I based this on pricing for the parts I got from www.tippmannparts.com. They carry a pretty good range of replacement Tippmann parts as well as other PB supplies.

TinMan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TinMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2009 at 1:01pm
We use A-5's for Xball, and 98's http://www.tippinators.com

My current A-5 setup is

A-5, Zero Kick hammer, CP gas thru grip,  Techt squishies(green),  vortex ratchet kit,
and Fang trigger, Hammerhead battle Stikxx barrel, X7 hopper with Halo magnetic lid mod.

This setup is very stable, no kick or recoil, very efficient. Hammerhead is unmatched..

I'd advise against LP kits, I have them, they're heavy and little change in performance.
Regs are nice, but not needed with the Techt hammer, and add extra weight.

*edit - short clip with the new style Sharktooth barrel http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S5oqaDujs0

Edited by TinMan - 28 March 2009 at 1:12pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic