Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Auto Repair Question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Zata View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Auto Repair Question
    Posted: 16 March 2009 at 5:17pm
I've been hearing this clicking noise on and off inside my truck.  Went to the oil change and they said it was probably caused by my front sway bar being loose.

Is this something that needs to be replaced or can it just be fixed?  And a cost estimate?  Its a 89 Bronco II
merc View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
American Scotchy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2009 at 5:46pm
if its just loose tighten up the bolts... inspect it for bad bushings or cracks.
Zata View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2009 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by merc merc wrote:

if its just loose tighten up the bolts... inspect it for bad bushings or cracks.

Unless they have a policy against going any further than an oil change, don't you think the guys would have done that for me?  I'm guessing its more serious than just loose bolts.
Eville View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 5/19, Filter-dodge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2009 at 5:56pm
how about you stop guessing and take a look at the damn thing.
merc View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
American Scotchy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2009 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by Zata Zata wrote:

Originally posted by merc merc wrote:

Unless they have a policy against going any further than an oil change, don't you think the guys would have done that for me?  I'm guessing its more serious than just loose bolts.

he dident even find out what the problem was, just made a guess... mechanics get paid by the job, not the hour*. they wont do anything extra and they will generally do half A jobs and take shortcuts to save time.

* fleet works different

Edited by merc - 16 March 2009 at 6:08pm
Zata View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2009 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by Eville Eville wrote:

how about you stop guessing and take a look at the damn thing.

I don't know anything about cars, I doubt that'd help me.

No ones guessing here.  When I pulled into the garage, I mentioned the noise to the guys.  They took a look and figured out that it was the sway bar.
merc View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
American Scotchy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2009 at 7:40pm
google "bronco 2 front sway bar"

your sway bar is probably MUCH easier than mine

4 bolts and the links. a new link kit is like 30$ a new sway bar with links is like 60$...

summitracing.com.

find the bar, expect the rods attaching it to your arms and find where its damaged, check the bushings.
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2009 at 7:41am
89... Its totalled.

Buy a honda.
They tremble at my name...
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2009 at 8:04am
Sway bars (The ends) are easy is that's what the problem is. You don't even have to know much about automotive repair, just how to use a wrench.

Eville View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 5/19, Filter-dodge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2009 at 9:56am
righty loosey lefty tight? CRAP!
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2009 at 10:55am
^^^  No . . . "It's lefty loosey, right loosey."    Just remember how the 'Pubs and Dems are with taxpayer dollars.

Yeah, I couldn't resist.
Syclops View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syclops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2009 at 11:58am
Zeta -

Give me some more detail on the clicking...is it only when it is going down the road, only turning, let me know when it occurs?

I find it hard to believe that your sway bar is making the "clicking" sound.  But to be sure, jack up the front end and have a buddy turn the wheel while the vehicle is suspended in air.  Determine where the so called "clicking" is coming from. 

Clicking usually can occur as a result of bad U-joints, wheel bearings or even a bad motor valve assembly.  Give us some more information.  It's alwaysgood to learn more about your vehicle as well as take a chance in  actually work on it yourself.  Get a Haynes manual and some tools and soon your on your way to reducing the cost of someone else do it.
Zata View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2009 at 12:03pm
The clicking noise is random, but I would say it occurs 80% of the time.  It usually doesn't start happening until I've been driving for about 5 minutes or so.  Sometimes it stops after a while.  The higher my RPMs the faster it clicks.  Thats all I really have on it.
Syclops View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syclops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2009 at 12:09pm
Zeta - although your sway bar bushing may be bad, it is not the source of your clicking.  If your sway bar was bad you would have a tough time sticking to corners.  The source of your problem sounds like a bad valve.  To see for sure, as soon as it starts happening open the hood and listen to the sound of the motor by the valve covers...I think the Bronco IIs were 6 cylinders and I think have two valve covers...should be two valves per cyclinder...anyway...if you hear a clicking in the valve covers you have a bad valve.  Replacement would require a more qualified technician to replace.  How many miles on the beast?
Zata View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2009 at 12:21pm
About 43k, its obviously not the original engine.
Syclops View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syclops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2009 at 1:35pm
I see...do you have a friend that knows his/her way around a vehicle, mechanically speaking?  My first inclination, seeing that it is a new engine, is that you have to retighten the valves...torque them within proper specifications.  This will compensate for the wear-in period.  Torque specs can be gotten from a hanes manual or even doing an online search.  I had to do the same thing with my 86 Fulls size Bronco with the 302 EFI engine.  Let me know if you have any other questions.
Zata View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2009 at 1:41pm
My girlfriends dad is a full out genius with cars, hes working on my Firebird right now.  But he lives an hour away and now isn't a good time to drive down to have him look at it.  I suppose I could have my uncle take a look , but I'll probably take it to a shop if we can't figure anything out.

Thanks for your help.
Syclops View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syclops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2009 at 1:49pm
Good luck, let us know if was in fact the issue.  Meanwhile feel free to check out my project:

If you look under the "Fender Flares and Flaps" you can see the final product.  Took me 2.5 years to tear down and rebuild.  Did everything myself! Wink
Enos Shenk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
~-o@

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enos Shenk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2009 at 4:18pm
Never trust advice from an oil change place. Part of their business model is to find "problems" and try to fleece you to "Might as well get it done today"

One day when I had my first car in, they came into the waiting room and said "We noticed your side marker lights are burnt out, want us to replace them?" I had an itching feeling about that, stuck my head out the door, and sure enough the side markers on that car were REFLECTORS.

I pointed that out to the guy and he went back out with his tail between his legs.
Destruction View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Destruction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2009 at 4:34pm
It's probably just the headlight fluid.
u dont know what to do ur getting mottor boatted

Men are from Magmar, women are from Venusaur.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic